Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We’re spoiled for apples over here, of course. Every grocery I go to has at least 5 varieties.

My cousin brought a duck to the thanksgiving meal, and stuffed it with a single apple. Very nice: the sweetness + mild tang made for a nice contrast with the bird. I might have to try something similar in the future.

the Jester

Legend
I made pakoras last night- they're super easy and delicious. Chop the veggies of your choice into wee bits (I used cilantro, leeks, celery, and potatoes last night), mix up, make a batter of water and besan, batter veggies and deep fry in little balls. Then dip them in some kind of chutney and hey presto, dinner!

To be fair, I added salt, paprika, and curry powder to my besan (which is flour made from chickpeas, FYI).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Where cooking and gaming meet...

1638294487525.png

Zardnaar

Legend
I made pakoras last night- they're super easy and delicious. Chop the veggies of your choice into wee bits (I used cilantro, leeks, celery, and potatoes last night), mix up, make a batter of water and besan, batter veggies and deep fry in little balls. Then dip them in some kind of chutney and hey presto, dinner!

To be fair, I added salt, paprika, and curry powder to my besan (which is flour made from chickpeas, FYI).

There's an Indian place in my suburb and they make the best pakoras in town I've found.

Sister in law is an Indian snob and even she admits that and she's tried everywhere.

They have this mint yogurt sauce and a this indian ketchup.

They're to die for.

Herschel

Adventurer
Last time I had blue it was on an open steak sandwhiche.

I don't mind it occasionally but bit strong for me. Various types of cheddar, mozzarella and Camembert and brie are kinda the go to here.

If you look hard enough I know you can find others but I'm still not sure what a lot of cheese types are. Camembert is good with crackers and wine.

Yeah, there are many blues. Some of the buttermilk blues are creamy and mild while you can also get up to varieties with some serious stank going on.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There’s a (Canadian-based?) chain called Boston’s that has an appetizer of bacon-wrapped flatiron steak morsels on skewers served with a creamy blue cheese dipping sauce. My understanding of the sauce is that it’s a mix of heavy cream, melted butter, and a soft, mild-Ish blue cheese, blended together. Looks kinda like Ranch.

My best friend and my Mom are both more or less anti-blue cheese. And if I go to Bostons with either of them, I have to get a separate ramekin of it for myself because it’s THAT good. If I order the mushroom pizza- sorry, FLATBREAD- I’ll try to retain some for drizzling it on that.

Zardnaar

Legend
Had a sourdough ham and smoke ked cheese pizza.

Buried in mushrooms and all I could smell. Not a massive mushroom fan at least in those quantities.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I like all of those ingredients, but the mushrooms seem to be the odd man out, there. Green onions or whole garlic cloves would probably have been a better option. Garlic cloves have a nice sweetness to them when they’ve taken a trip through the oven.

Remove ads