Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I just made a shrimp spread yesterday, and before I could eat any, my maternal aunt called me. She’s recuperating from cataract surgery, and asked me to pick up some Chinese food for her.

So I ran over to Wu’s to get her stuff, and noticed the long-vacant restaurant suite two doors down was now home to Peacock, an Indian place I’d never been to down the road a ways. Apparently, they’d just moved up the street into this bigger location about a week prior.

So while I was waiting for my aunt’s order to be ready, I ran down to Peacock to scope out their menu and at least get some garlic naan.

(The menu looked good!)

After getting my aunt her order, I sat down with the naan and spread and damn near killed myself eating them together.

Zardnaar

Legend
I just made a shrimp spread yesterday, and before I could eat any, my maternal aunt called me. She’s recuperating from cataract surgery, and asked me to pick up some Chinese food for her.

So I ran over to Wu’s to get her stuff, and noticed the long-vacant restaurant suite two doors down was now home to Peacock, an Indian place I’d never been to down the road a ways. Apparently, they’d just moved up the street into this bigger location about a week prior.

So while I was waiting for my aunt’s order to be ready, I ran down to Peacock to scope out their menu and at least get some garlic naan.

(The menu looked good!)

After getting my aunt her order, I sat down with the naan and spread and damn near killed myself eating them together.

Garlic naan is the bomb. Garlic cheesy naan it's right between the eyes.

Rained so hard after 20 minutes we had surface flooding.

Zardnaar

Legend
Pot luck.

IMG_20211204_182616.jpg

Feta spinach tarts.

IMG_20211204_183443.jpg

Some sort of pasta dish.

IMG_20211204_183445.jpg

Caesar salad.

IMG_20211204_183551.jpg

Mince pie
IMG_20211204_183828.jpg
Bacon and egg pie.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Went and got some sides at an Afghani kebab take-out place attached to a 7-11. It’s in a tiny suite, but they put out really good food. We have some grilled chicken breasts our neighbors gave us, and needed something to pair with them.

On a whim inspired by the rest of my order- eggplant, spinach, rice, and pita- I asked if they had tabouli. (They don’t have their entire menu posted. Not even online.) It was noisy, so she didn’t hear me clearly, so I repeated myself. She said what I thought was “Tabouli rice?” I said yeah, sure.

Well , when I got my gags home, it WASN’T tabouli. Instead, I got something that looked like a mix of carrot & raisin salad…but with almonds, rice and other stuff. After I noticed neither tabouli or whatever was in front of me was on their online menu, I did some internet sleuthing and found this:

So, apparently, it was Qabili rice, but with no meat. And may I say, it was quite tasty! The raisins and carrots brought sweet notes, but the other other seasonings brought a nice savory flavor.

Would definitely order again.

Zardnaar

Legend
Went and got some sides at an Afghani kebab take-out place attached to a 7-11. It’s in a tiny suite, but they put out really good food. We have some grilled chicken breasts our neighbors gave us, and needed something to pair with them.

On a whim inspired by the rest of my order- eggplant, spinach, rice, and pita- I asked if they had tabouli. (They don’t have their entire menu posted. Not even online.) It was noisy, so she didn’t hear me clearly, so I repeated myself. She said what I thought was “Tabouli rice?” I said yeah, sure.

Well , when I got my gags home, it WASN’T tabouli. Instead, I got something that looked like a mix of carrot & raisin salad…but with almonds, rice and other stuff. After I noticed neither tabouli or whatever was in front of me was on their online menu, I did some internet sleuthing and found this:

So, apparently, it was Qabili rice, but with no meat. And may I say, it was quite tasty! The raisins and carrots brought sweet notes, but the other other seasonings brought a nice savory flavor.

Would definitely order again.

First time?

Had a few Afghani dishes they're very good. Big fan of middle eastern food, Lebanese and Syrian in particular.

New Syrian food truck I need to try locally. Next time I'm in Christchurch gonna beeline for that Afghani place again.

Persians also great.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
First time?

Had a few Afghani dishes they're very good. Big fan of middle eastern food, Lebanese and Syrian in particular.

New Syrian food truck I need to try locally. Next time I'm in Christchurch gonna beeline for that Afghani place again.

Persians also great.
I’ve been to this place at least a dozen times, but never asked for tabouli before. So this was a revelation.

Zardnaar

Legend
I’ve been to this place at least a dozen times, but never asked for tabouli before. So this was a revelation.

Tabouli and tahine were some of the first Arabic/Turkish food I tried in 1996.

$5 ($3.50 usd) got a burger, pie and Lebanese pizza with $0.50 left over ($2 burger, $1 pie, $1.50 pizza).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tabouli and tahine were some of the first Arabic/Turkish food I tried in 1996.

$5 ($3.50 usd) got a burger, pie and Lebanese pizza with $0.50 left over ($2 burger, $1 pie, $1.50 pizza).
Sorry, wasn’t clear: I’ve been eating tabouli for DECADES. Love the stuff! But I’d never asked for it at this Afghani kebab shop. I had no idea if they even had any.

Even if it weren’t part of their own cuisine, a lot of the Mediterranean/Arabic places in the D/FW Metroplex are really fusion restaurants*, so they might have had it anyway. A lot of the “Geek” places are run by Lebanese families. There’s a lot of crossover from the “Persians” and Ethiopians into Italian cuisine, as well as a bunch of Romanian pizzerias.

* TBF fusion joints of all kinds are all over the Metroplex. Mexican, Chinese and Indian are some of the biggest core crossover cuisines here, with creole on the rise.

Remove ads