• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Went out for "coffee" instead of full on breakfast. So had a breakfast bagel instead which was toasted with egg, bacin, hash brown and relish plus other bits and pieces.

Think we're gonna try something similar bon the bbq for Christmas breakfast.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I like coffee…sort of. My liberal additions of sugar and dairy would probably offend the purists like ordering a well done prime rib with catsup would steak snobs.

Because of my preferences, I usually have coffee AS dessert, and not very often.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I like coffee…sort of. My liberal additions of sugar and dairy would probably offend the purists like ordering a well done prime rib with catsup would steak snobs.

Because of my preferences, I usually have coffee AS dessert, and not very often.
I find that a little sugar and a little milk help me to taste the coffee itself, by providing background, body, and balance. And I'm serious enough about coffee to blend my own (beans from a local roaster).

Drink your coffee as you like, is my message here, in the full knowledge you weren't looking for permission to do so.

Zardnaar

Legend

Going out for coffee is new for us. Our favorite breakfast place has the best coffee we've found, it's very close and ample parking.

At home just the dark freeze dried instant coffee. No Suger or very rarely have it. I added 1 to the flat white today.

Herschel

Adventurer
Small crowd this year, only seven, so I kept it simple.
Cheeses:
Smoked blue, Aged Comte, Triple cream brie (with sour cherry preserves and fruit & nut crackers), truffle brie, truffle gouda, aged gouda, Hook's 7-Year cheddar, Lemon baked ricotta (served with thin ginger cookies rather than crackers).

Main course:
1. Turkey - Brined and roasted in the smoker (saves oven space) with a very light smoke (just a few orange wood chips at the beginning)
2. Garlic Mashed potatoes - My son's request. Skin-on, butter, heavy cream, garlic and Penzey's Brady Street Seasoning.
3. Roasted root veggies - Multi-colored carrots, parsnips and rutabagas with a little salt, butter and honey.
4. Roasted green beans with mushrooms - Added bacon and bleu cheese at the end.
5. Cranberries - A little almond, orange and lemon extract for added flavor, I also under-mix the sugar some so it's not too sweet.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That sounds like a fine menu.

Had I been invited, I might have been spotted in the corner, hogging the blue while making gollum-esque snarls at people coming after “my precious.”

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I find that a little sugar and a little milk help me to taste the coffee itself, by providing background, body, and balance. And I'm serious enough about coffee to blend my own (beans from a local roaster).

Drink your coffee as you like, is my message here, in the full knowledge you weren't looking for permission to do so.
My dad is a real coffee head, and has killed multiple bean grinders over the past 2 decades. But he’s not judgy. Drink it how you want it is his style, too.

Zardnaar

Legend
That sounds like a fine menu.

Had I been invited, I might have been spotted in the corner, hogging the blue while making gollum-esque snarls at people coming after “my precious.”

Last time I had blue it was on an open steak sandwhiche.

I don't mind it occasionally but bit strong for me. Various types of cheddar, mozzarella and Camembert and brie are kinda the go to here.

If you look hard enough I know you can find others but I'm still not sure what a lot of cheese types are. Camembert is good with crackers and wine.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have always loved blue cheeses, but i can say that some are definitely stronger than others.

Two of my favorites are actually in the middle of the pack. Blue Castello and Cambozolla are both soft blues, in some ways similar to brie. I discovered them after attending a holiday brunch where a soft blue was on the cheese table, and kept going back for more with every trip. I almost skipped dessert.

Since there were no markings, I hadn’t a clue as to what cheese it actually was, but after a year of searching local cheese departments in groceries, liquor stores, delis and the like, I decided those two were the most likely candidates. I always have one or both in my fridge.

I like them cold, but warming slightly develops their true glory. I frequently use those on ham sandwiches or burgers.

Zardnaar

Legend
Gamenight a day early. Might be able to game again next week with the rules changing.

So tried a random place after wandering around looking for somewhere new.

Wife saw sticky date pudding in the menu and that was the end of that.

IMG_20211130_181124.jpg

IMG_20211130_181420.jpg

They had beef Wellington on the menu and I've been wanting to try it for years. Came with a red wine jus and cooked vegetables. The veggies reminded me of a 1980's meal I've spent the best part of 25 years avoiding. Never had it before but was really nice. Still can't eat broccoli or cauliflower except chopped up in a salad or when.

Wife ordered cauliflower soup as a mains.

IMG_20211130_181130.jpg

Soup was a dud apparently.

Had smaller meals to leave room for dessert.

IMG_20211130_183323.jpg

Sticky date

And I found something comparatively rare. Apple Pie.

IMG_20211130_183318.jpg

IMG_20211130_183422.jpg

I liked my decisions except the cooked vegetables which I kinda hate ate. Pie was great but very limited comparisons as apple pie is rare here or frozen out of the supermarket freezer.

Wife lucked out though but she just ordered the same thing over and over on a quest to find the best sticky date/cauliflower soup/Caesar salad/eggs Benedict.

Oh well her bad.

Remove ads