Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Mixed Meze grill at one of the Turkish places here.

IMG_20220524_180506.jpg

On the right mixed chicken and lamb in spiced rice. In the middle various dips and hummus.

In the left some dolma, bread, falafel, spring rolls.

Hadn't been for a while place was a bit run down and dead quiet although we were out on a Tuesday night.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mixed bag cuisine wise this weekend.

On Friday, I picked up dinner from a local “gourmet buger” place near us. Normally, their stuff is worth the extra money they charge, but they left my sautéed oni9ns off of my BBQ Bacon burger and they changed the recipe on their sweet potato fries that Mom usually loves, it may be a while before we return- Mom holds culinary grudges.

OTOH, we went to a small gathering on Sunday, celebrating a friend’s anniversary as a monk and also the impending ordination of one of his mentees. It was an early afternoon thing, with the host providing caviar, rumaki, salmon on cucumber and similar finger foods, plus an assortment of champagne, red wine and the contents of their bar, and a beautiful fruit-crowned cheesecake. I was asked to bring a nice dip.

So I made our variant on a shrimp & cream cheese dip, pairing it with 2 kinds of crackers (Ritz and Blue Diamond Pecan crackers), as well as some Kerrygold butter for those who wanted to double down on decade.

It went over well, but we did have some leftovers because a few of the guests had gotten exposed to COVID the night before and didn’t attend. So we’ve been eating it on toast as open-faced sandwiches.

Oh, the horror!

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Broke out the hand crank ice-cream maker for the first time in quite awhile at a campout this weekend.

The base recipe a cookbook is for chocolate cheese cake ice-cream: 2 bars cream cheese, 2 cups whole milk, 4 cups heavy cream, 2 eggs, 2 cups sugar, 2 cups cocoa powder, and 2 tsp vanilla. Came out just fine as usual in about 20 minutes.

Had trouble with the strawberry this time. Leave out the cocoa, and halfway through churning put in the strawberry puree (1.5 pounds strawberry, 2 pounds sugar - and I added 2 tsp vanilla mixed heated in a double boiler til soft and then blended). I think it was well past half when it was put in, and so some of it that was pretty much done stayed that way and the rest stayed runny. And it wasn't help in that I think we ended up starting cranking it the wrong direction after that. So, it wasn't even quite soft-serve (except at the very bottom).

We've also used the base for grasshopper (mint) ice cream and peach ice cream before.

Luckily one of the others saved the Dutch oven (box-mix) brownies. I didn't let the charcoal go along enough before I started them.

Zardnaar

Legend
Went to a place we first visited 20 years ago. Haven't been in years.

Lamb kofta Turkish place

IMG_20220607_180726.jpg

Breads and dip.
IMG_20220607_180818.jpg
Kofta on rice plus salads.

IMG_20220607_180851.jpg

Some sort of pumpkin ball.

Washed down with a local porter.

IMG_20220607_175648.jpg

Great meal nicer than the last one we had. Motr expensive Turkish in town probably the best to dine in.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Has anyone ever noticed that recipes for Indian Curry are mostly complete and utter crap? It's not that hard to cook, but I read the first four or five things that come up for, say, Butter Chicken and I ask myself if they're cooking the same thing I want to cook.

Edit: So I thought, lets ask a famous person, so I looked at Gordon Ramsay's Butter Chicken recipe. It's still utter crap (although he is a wonderful chef, despite his sassy pretend tv persona).

Last edited:

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Has anyone ever noticed that recipes for Indian Curry are mostly complete and utter crap? It's not that hard to cook, but I read the first four or five things that come up for, say, Butter Chicken and I ask myself if they're cooking the same thing I want to cook.

Edit: So I thought, lets ask a famous person, so I looked at Gordon Ramsay's Butter Chicken recipe. It's still utter crap (although he is a wonderful chef, despite his sassy pretend tv persona).
My wife had a friend in grad school who was Indian, who gave her a kheema curry recipe. I can copy it somewhere for you if you want it. It's one of our go-to recipes.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
My wife had a friend in grad school who was Indian, who gave her a kheema curry recipe. I can copy it somewhere for you if you want it. It's one of our go-to recipes.
Thanks for the offer, and I'll always take a recipe, but generally I'm fine. I was a chef for many years and figured it out. I just think it's odd how many bad recipes there out there. Well, I mean there's lots of bad recipes, but even more than normal in this case. Anyway, I'll stop shouting at clouds now.

Remove ads