Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Last night's potato bake. Left over for lunch.

IMG_20220610_181140.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
Something Americans may not be to familiar with.

IMG_20220611_095517.jpg

Bacon and egg pie in the warmer. Almost 2 inches thick. $2.80 usd approx.

Buying pizza by the slice is rare here. Pie is everywhere.

Wife bought a peppered steak pie while I got a Mexican chicken with chorizo one.

Zardnaar

Legend
Apple pie nah. Apple Crumble though on a cold snap in winter..... We made this tonight. Few ingredients were substitutes. Instead of rolled oats I used blackberry and apple flavored breakfast oats.

IMG_20220613_182322.jpg
In the little ramican.

And about to be served up.

IMG_20220613_183050.jpg

Cinnamon, butter, four, oats, brown Suger, stewed apples.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Made my first attempt at my aunt’s glazed ham today. I melted a stick of unsalted butter, added 3T of brown sugar, and 6oz of strawberry preserves. Then I topped it with some sliced pineapple pieces. Baked it at 350degF for over 90 minutes.

If I wasn’t using hers as a recipe, I’d be happy with my results for a first try.

I had the beginnings of a nice crust, but extra time in the oven would be a mistake- it was just a touch drier than it should have been. By the flavor of the pot drippings and the pineapple pieces that fell into it during the cooking process, it was clear that my GLAZE was not quite right.

My aunt’s ham glaze always had a stronger strawberry flavor and higher overall sweetness. The texture was much thicker. And her pineapples were slightly salty where mine were noticeably so.

So next time, I’m at least doubling the amount of brown sugar and strawberry preserves. I’m also going to ask her son- who does not cook- if he remembers anything about her ham prep.

Zardnaar

Legend
My appetite just came back had two small dinners last week.

Cheeseburger craving isolation ends tomorrow.

Tempted to go get a steak and egg burger tomorrow. 10 hour return drive to Queenstown hmmnn.

Thinking about eating my foot.

Cheeseburger. With egg. And bacon. And an extra pattie. And another egg. And beetroot. And some steak. Extra onions as well.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Demolished a Buck burger today for dinner. Wife's stomach still a bit tender so she had a cheese and bacon burger.

Buck burger has pattie, bacon, egg, pineapple, onions, salad, and beetroot slices.

I will concede the Aussies know their way around baking a pie and fish and chips. Aussie shop but the species are the same.

Fish was Hake and Hoki which are nice fried. Decent looking chicken burger as well.

They also do a deep fried Mars bar which is chocolate, caramel and nougat. In New Zealand we deep fry Moro bars which are chocolate, caramel and nougat. Heretics over the ditch.

Guess it's kinda like Marmite and Vegemite. Ones a disgusting yeast based spread while the other is a disgusting yeast based spread.

They also wrap their fish and chips left to right while we do it right to left. Heretics!!.

Last edited:

Ulfgeir

Hero
Lunch today:

2 artichokes with butter and lemon...

According to the thermometer it is now 34 C outside, so didn't feel like something heavy...

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_153746.jpg
    IMG_20220721_153746.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Remove ads