Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Variation of dinner from two nights ago.

Had left over pita, hummus, and bought to much salad stuff last week. Spiced rice.

Modest amount of aioli and sweet chilli using my

IMG_20200414_173914.jpg

basic marinade for a few hours.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Fed the fam with leftover veg with some fresh-cooked ribeyes tonight, medium rare and sliced, “cheffily.”

I did a bourbon pan sauce, and even Mom, who usually passes on stuff like that, tried AND liked it. Definitely something to keep in the old arsenal.

Zardnaar

Legend
Fed the fam with leftover veg with some fresh-cooked ribeyes tonight, medium rare and sliced, “cheffily.”

I did a bourbon pan sauce, and even Mom, who usually passes on stuff like that, tried AND liked it. Definitely something to keep in the old arsenal.

You should visit NZ some day. No ulterior motive. None whatsoever.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter

Pan sauces are fun, ain't they?

prabe

Supporter
Dinner tonight was fun and a treat. Side dish was some Yukon Gold potatoes sliced in half, roasted in olive oil at 400F, turned over every 20 minutes. Main dish was this:

Meatloaf for the Ages

What you'll need
Ingredients
1 medium-large onion, chopped fine
1 red bell pepper, chopped fine
2 stalks celery, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs of ground meat (we usually split this, half-turkey, half-bison/lean beef; this time we used pork instead of turkey)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup bread crumbs (these days usually panko)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons olive oil

(for the sauce)
1/3 cup chili sauce
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons brown mustard
2 teaspoons bourbon
a healthy splash of Tabasco sauce (to taste)

Equipment
a loaf pan (though you can make a free-form loaf, or subdivide it into a muffin pan)
at least one very large bowl
at least one smaller bowl

What you'll do
1. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Heat the pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, and when it starts to shimmer, add the onions, celery, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and at least starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
3. While the vegetables are cooking, mix the eggs, meat, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and 1/3 cup of the sauce together in a very large bowl. When the vegetables are ready, mix them in, too.
4. Place the raw meatloaf into a loaf pan. Insert into the pre-heated oven and bake for 75-90 minutes. (The meatloaf should be above 145F, internal temperature)
5. Brush as much of the remaining sauce as possible over the top of the loaf, then put back into the oven and bake for another 20 minutes (until the internal temperature rises to about 165F).
6. Remove the loaf from the oven, and let stand for at least 10 minutes.
7. Carefully pour as much of the grease and other assorted liquid from the loaf pan as you can. Slice into eight slices and serve.

Notes: There are a couple times in this where it's useful to have at least a third hand, and possibly a fourth, in the kitchen: If someone else can stir the vegetables (and deposit them into the mix) that saves getting raw meat all over everything; and it is difficult to pour the grease out of the meatloaf pan without dislodging the meatloaf.

If you are dividing your meatloaf into a muffin pan, the baking time is reduced: You're probably looking at about 45 minutes before you brush the sauce on the tops, then about 20 more minutes. You'll probably be able to get the meat-muffins out without needing to pour out as much grease, too. This is a great way to make for smaller portions, such as for appetizers or small plates.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m not a huge fan of meatloaf- the dish OR the performer- but I know a couple places I eat it.

One if my cousins is a meatloaf NUT though. Might pass yours along!👍🏾

Edit: Made it so!

prabe

Supporter
I’m not a huge fan of meatloaf- the dish OR the performer- but I know a couple places I eat it.

One if my cousins is a meatloaf NUT though. Might pass yours along!👍🏾

Edit: Made it so!

I'm with you on the performer, but I am always happy to share recipes. The keys to this meatloaf are the sauce, and pre-cooking the veg.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dinner with Mom was light tonight.

Not pictured: crackers, tomatoes, garlic-stuffed olives, and ramekins of mustard and ranch for dipping.

Remove ads