Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Looks good but never been able to get into roasts.

I can eat them but don't really enjoy it.
I usually prefer steaks, but I really like a rib roast as a change of pace. Surprisingly, it was MOM who requested this. She prefer leaner cuts of steak than this, but every once in a while, she asks me to do one. This is the first in our new oven, the first of the year.

In all honesty, I overdid this one slightly, but the flavor of the crust I got was one of my better efforts.

And it really worked well as an overall meal. The only other issue, amusingly enough, was that the potatoes came out slightly underdone. But they were still delish!

Zardnaar

Legend
I usually prefer steaks, but I really like a rib roast as a change of pace. Surprisingly, it was MOM who requested this. She prefer leaner cuts of steak than this, but every once in a while, she asks me to do one. This is the first in our new oven, the first of the year.

In all honesty, I overdid this one slightly, but the flavor of the crust I got was one of my better efforts.

And it really worked well as an overall meal. The only other issue, amusingly enough, was that the potatoes came out slightly underdone. But they were still delish!

Last time I ate a roast my sister made it andmum was in the way out. I ate it but didn't enjoy it and she diesc a couple of months later.

It's generally only the older generation that eats them wife's grandmother and father lived them.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mom has been very chummy with the therapists and other patients at her physical therapy sessions, and has committed me to doing a gumbo for them in the near future. Glad to do it- I love cooking- but I do have the challenge of using no beef. Her main therapist doesn’t eat it (for religious reasons, I believe).

Well…my core recipe includes 2 beef sausages. So I’m going to have a little bit of a challenge. But I’m up to it, I think.

So this week, we’re taste-testing a few different pork sausages, and I may use some of my family recipe hot sausage seasoning mix as a simple seasoning.

Zardnaar

Legend
Our first dine out in the evenings post lockdown.

Wings as a starter. Nice salad and so tender.

IMG_20210915_180529.jpg

My wife ordered nachos.

IMG_20210915_181804.jpg

And they had a new item on the menu. Pizza Burger!!

IMG_20210915_181800.jpg

Everything was pretty good and couple of happy hour beers.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Mom has been very chummy with the therapists and other patients at her physical therapy sessions, and has committed me to doing a gumbo for them in the near future. Glad to do it- I love cooking- but I do have the challenge of using no beef. Her main therapist doesn’t eat it (for religious reasons, I believe).

Well…my core recipe includes 2 beef sausages. So I’m going to have a little bit of a challenge. But I’m up to it, I think.

So this week, we’re taste-testing a few different pork sausages, and I may use some of my family recipe hot sausage seasoning mix as a simple seasoning.
Two thoughts. First, I have to believe the gumbo will turn out fine with the substitution, though I can understand wanting to test that first. Second, I'm kinda stuck trying to think of a religion where they'd eat pork but not beef; I'm guessing some variations of Hindu might, if they were non-vegetarian. Alas, I'm not the religion geek my wife is (she literally has a Master's).

Zardnaar

Legend
Two thoughts. First, I have to believe the gumbo will turn out fine with the substitution, though I can understand wanting to test that first. Second, I'm kinda stuck trying to think of a religion where they'd eat pork but not beef; I'm guessing some variations of Hindu might, if they were non-vegetarian. Alas, I'm not the religion geek my wife is (she literally has a Master's).

Probably Hindu or related.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Confusingly, I think he’s a buddhist. (No, that doesn’t make sense to me, either.) But I’m not nosy enough to care, really.

Side note: the most unusual religious dietary restriction I have been made aware of comes from the Sikh. Apparently, they’re not permitted to consume foods that have been ritually prepared. IOW, they can have things that have been made kosher or halal by ceremony, etc.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Confusingly, I think he’s a buddhist. (No, that doesn’t make sense to me, either.) But I’m not nosy enough to care, really.
I don't care, exactly; I just know enough about it to wonder. If I were preparing food for him, I'd only care about the practical side--what doesn't he eat, same as it seems you are.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah. Since I’m not a pro, I generally don’t need to know the “Why?” as long as I know all the “What or what nots” for meal prep.

The one exception is medical conditions, like allergies. Because sometimes a problem with X might also translate into problems with Y, Z, and for God knows what reasons, B and Q.

Remove ads