Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Oh let fate decide the other night. Parked near town and cold crappy night. Went to the Indo Nepal place but it was packed out and it's a hole in wall place. Other options were burger/pizza place, Turkish or Khmer but went to a Chinese/Khmer place that we used to go to on D&D night.

IMG_20220514_191116.jpg

Wife wanted hot rice type meal it was cold and wet and had a satay beef. I ordered a beef noodle soup which was a bit bland but I guess that's what the various condiments were for. Bit of Sriracha and chilli flakes later and it was pretty good. Not a massive soup fan but it was cold and crappy.

Place was more or less empty as well so social distancing. Favorite place for cheap Chinese that's not a fish and chip shop.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Last night, we did Japanese from a place around the corner from us. The suite in question has housed at least 3 different Japanese restaurants over the past 24 years, and the current occupant has changed its menu (and head chef, I believe) a couple times.

Mom usually gets the Shrimp tempura bento box when we go there, and after last night, she claims she wants to branch out a bit with one of the beef bento boxes next time.

I’ve been in a bento box rut at that place myself, so I decided to try their shoyu ramen. I can’t say it was better than some of the ramen I’ve had at any of the other Japanese places I eat, but one thing DID stand out: the chasu (pork belly) they included was the best tasting chasu I’ve ever had in a bowl of ramen. It was stand-alone good.

…but there was only one medium-sized piece in the bowl!

Zardnaar

Legend
Last night, we did Japanese from a place around the corner from us. The suite in question has housed at least 3 different Japanese restaurants over the past 24 years, and the current occupant has changed its menu (and head chef, I believe) a couple times.

Mom usually gets the Shrimp tempura bento box when we go there, and after last night, she claims she wants to branch out a bit with one of the beef bento boxes next time.

I’ve been in a bento box rut at that place myself, so I decided to try their shoyu ramen. I can’t say it was better than some of the ramen I’ve had at any of the other Japanese places I eat, but one thing DID stand out: the chasu (pork belly) they included was the best tasting chasu I’ve ever had in a bowl of ramen. It was stand-alone good.

…but there was only one medium-sized piece in the bowl!

We used to eat Japanese a lot 15-20 years ago.

Gradually stopped eating it as we just prefer Turkish instead. And our favorite place changed our favorite dishes.

I'll still happily eat it but don't really see the point vs better options eg Cambodian, Turkish, Indonesian etc.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just like my Mom is nuts for all the Mediterranean/Middle Eastern cuisines, I’m the same way for Asian ones. I wouldn’t call Japanese my favorite of those I’ve had- Vietnamese wins that contest- but it certainly scratches certain itches the others don’t,

Zardnaar

Legend
Cambodian. Wife ordered her just the usual beef satay.
IMG_20220521_174956.jpg

Ordered the Lok Lak never had it before. Beef, lemon pepper sauce, veggies on rice.
IMG_20220521_175714_BURST002.jpg

IMG_20220521_180214.jpg

This is it along with the lemon pepper sauce

IMG_20220521_175709.jpg

And the satay.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, looks like I’d have a good time there!

My dish had a delicious lemon pepper aftertaste.

First went to that place in January 2003 when they did an anything on the menu for $5 (3.50 usd). Student's were out of town. Prices have roughly doubled since then meals were $7-8 and $3.50 for a satay burger.

Also my mother's favorite last place I took her for a meal before she passed. She preferred that food over other places. It was the cheapest as well not that I let her see the prices (I paid).

Zardnaar

Legend
Gonna try a homemade beef satay.

IMG_20220522_153438.jpg

Super simple marinade for few hours, quick fry serve on hot rice and heat the satay sauce.

That moment you realize you took the photo upside down.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases