D&D 5E Could a Sorcerer with a 1 Wizard dip fulfill everything unique about a wizard?

auburn2

Adventurer
It's an interesting argument that the intent is to have defensive spells that can be converted to offensive damage types (which is what you are suggesting).

If the scribe makes it into official content, I would hope the language is much more clear.
It is in Tasha's and is official already and the exact language is posted above.

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It is in Tasha's and is official and the exact language is above
Really?

Then sorry for the confusion.

Guess I need to look at Tasha's more thoroughly, thought it was UA.

point stands though, it is absolutely not clear that the damage type can be grabbed from a non - damaging spell.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
You only get to choose 4 spells of each level (8 first) and some of them are going to be spells with no damage mentioned like mage armor, identify and comprehend languages, this is going to give you very few options for changing damage for everything except very low level spells. It is going to lock you into a few options.

I think the intent here is for scribe wizard to pick up spells like absorb elements and elemental shield and stoneskin along with things like magic missile, lightning bolt and virtiolic sphere and get a bunch of damage types available.
You only need a few options which is my point. A couple spells each spell level dedicated to different damage types should see you right. You're also playing a wizard and should be finding scrolls to copy into your spellbook unless you have a particularly stingy DM. To me it seems that the obvious intent is to replace it with the damage type of another damage spell which is how I will run it in my games. Until you brought it up, I had no idea that people were reading the ability differently.

Whether as a player, or the DM, you are attempting to speak authoritatively about the efficacy of the situation, yet clearly do not understand it from a basic mechanical level. That undercuts your position, dramatically.

People who assume the sorts of BBEGs 14th-level parties go nova on won't have Legendary Resistance don't have much room to boast about their awareness of basic mechanics.

You only get to choose 4 spells of each level (8 first) and some of them are going to be spells with no damage mentioned like mage armor, identify and comprehend languages, this is going to give you very few options for changing damage for everything except very low level spells. It is going to lock you into a few options.

I think the intent here is for scribe wizard to pick up spells like absorb elements and elemental shield and stoneskin along with things like magic missile, lightning bolt and virtiolic sphere and get a bunch of damage types available.

I think the intent is that the scribe wizard copies a lot of spells beyond the ones learned at level up. It's sort of the core theme of the subclass. Switching out damage types is partly there to incentivize bothering to collect spells they might not actually use.

I think using any damage that happens to be mentioned rather than a type of damage the spell can actually do is pretty cheesy. That said, Absorb Elements technically can deal all the damage types it mentions and if someone finally found a use for 5e Stoneskin then more power to them.

jgsugden

Legend
People who assume the sorts of BBEGs 14th-level parties go nova on won't have Legendary Resistance don't have much room to boast about their awareness of basic mechanics.
I never made any such assumption or said any such thing. You're making up my arguments in an attempt to not be wrong. That does not work. Focus on what you said and why you said it.

You clearly didn't recognize that you need to use a bonus action to move Hex onto a target, whether as a cast or as a movement of the effect following a prior target's death. You even said that you can just cast it earlier in the day. Putting aside the targeting issues with that idea (that can be worked around, but only with cheese), doing this would save you nothing. There was no reason to mention it outside a complete misunderstanding of how the spell works. Just. Stop.

I never made any such assumption or said any such thing.

You calculated the average damage a 14th-level sorc does in a 2-round nova based on the assumption the target doesn't have Legendary Resistance. What exactly are you blowing all your biggest resources on? Is it the traditional Nonthreatening Cube of Infinite Hit Points that lives in the middle of every white room on the internet, or is this something you regularly see Sorcerers do in actual high-level games?

You're making up my arguments in an attempt to not be wrong. That does not work. Focus on what you said and why you said it.

What I said: 14th-level sorlocks spit out a lot of damage using various combinations of EB and Quicken Spell, to the point they greatly outshine a straight-classed Warlock, due to virtually never running out of resources, resulting in the support class focusing his buffs on the Sorlock, and the straight Warlock not openly wishing he'd built a different character.

Why I said it: Saw it happen at the table across a fair number of sessions.

You clearly didn't recognize that you need to use a bonus action to move Hex onto a target, whether as a cast or as a movement of the effect following a prior target's death.

Yes, I admitted I overlooked this, and that you were right, but you kept on insulting me for some reason. So let me say it clearly, so you can scoop up your internet points and redeem them for prizes: clearly, the Sorlock at my table never used Quicken in the same round that he placed his hex. I fully admit that in Princes of the Whiteroompocalypse, when the party faces the Nonthreatening Cube of Infinite Hit Points in the final dungeon, it would be better to be a straight Sorcerer than a Sorlock.

In Citadel of the Void Dragons, however, it was pretty clear what the advantage of being able to spew out 4th-level damage virtually for free while having nearly a full complement of a high-level caster's spells was.

Last edited:

I will also add here that Void Dragons are incredibly badass and terrifying, and your party will not forget the utter devastation they faced when you hit them with one.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
What I said: 14th-level sorlocks spit out a lot of damage using various combinations of EB and Quicken Spell, to the point they greatly outshine a straight-classed Warlock, due to virtually never running out of resources...
In my experience, this works even better if the Sorlock player is very bad about keeping track of his resources.

"Oh, yeah, I still have all my Sorcery Points from last session -- I didn't use any of them nuking the head fire giant and basically obliterating him from the map last time we played. Look at my character sheet if you don't believe me."

I mean, sure, it's an RPG and there's no reason for anyone to cheat, but...yeah.

--
Pauper

Remove ads