• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cover and Spellcasting

IndySteve

First Post
In the following example, the 'x's represent a corner of a wall, the 's' represents a player sorcerer, and the 'm' represents an enemy monster. During our game the other night, the player sorcerer stayed behind the corner and during his turn would lean out from the wall to cast Arcane Bolt (another form of Magic Missile) at the monster and return to his hidning place, never actually moving. The monster, armed with a longbow could not hit the sorcerer except with a readied attack, because the sorcerer had 100% cover.

m

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxxx
s

My question is, is this legal or does the sorcerer have to step out from behind the corner to cast his spells and therefore lose the benefits of cover? Thanks for the help!

-Steve

IndySteve

First Post
okay the diagram didn't turn out like I wanted, but hopefully you get the idea. Obviously, I've no idea how to create the diagram properly! :( Sorry!

Crothian

First Post
While in real life, this may seem possible, but not tin the d20 universe. You can either move before or after the spell, not both.

kreynolds

First Post
And moving means taking a full 5-foot step beyond the corner of the wall to cast the spell. Just making sure we're all on the same page here.

IndySteve

First Post
I understand that the spellcaster cannot MOVE both before and after casting. That's not my question, though. There was never any actual movement. The player sorcerer simply peeked around the corner to cast the spell.

My question is this: Does the spellcaster actually have to MOVE??

kreynolds

First Post
IndySteve said:
I understand that the spellcaster cannot MOVE both before and after casting. That's not my question, though. There was never any actual movement. The player sorcerer simply peeked around the corner to cast the spell.

Yes.

Crothian

First Post
IndySteve said:

Yes.

This would basically allow spell casters to cast with little threat of retalition. That's powerful. It's not allowed. If the PC complains, use it against the PCs and see if they think it should be allowed.

IndySteve

First Post
Crothian, I agree with you that this gives spellcasters a little too much power in this case, which is why I'm asking. NPCs can ready an attack on the spellcaster for when he peeks around the corner, though, so I cannot come to the conclusion that it is all-powerful. I'd like to tell my players they have to move first, but I would like a reference or at least the consensus of several particpants of these messageboards. Thanks!

Crothian

First Post
Okay, according to d20 you are in the space you are in. There is no leaning or anything like that. So, be able to cast a spell around the corner you have to actually move to a space that can see around the corner.

This isn't a harp at you, but a harp at people in general: I think it's better to look what you can do within the rules and what the rules allow then to come up with something and then claim it can be done because the book doesn't say no. Basically, it should be "Prove you can do it." not "Prove I can't do it.":D

Remove ads