• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Craft/Time Point Proposal & Discussion

Rystil Arden

First Post
If you're still spending craft days though, it's irrelivent, and the system you propose would be more prohibitive to any nonmagical crafting.

How would this be more prohibitive to nonmagical crafting than the normal D&D crafting rules? We're just saying that we're using the normal rules and allowing RL days to give you IC days as well.

Bront

The man with the probe
It's more prohibitive than Craft Points.

And, with time being limited and tracked, the money "abuses" of crafting is limited quite a bit.

Another limit would be to not let any crafted item be immediately sold to an NPC.

Mithril Full Plate would take 2485 days to craft (I forgot that the crafting was in silver, not gold). A masterwork Longsword takes 56 days to craft (and 2 days to enchant).

Unless we fix this, we're basicly telling weapons crafter, armor crafters, and alchemists, that they can barely craft anything.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
It's more prohibitive than Craft Points.

And, with time being limited and tracked, the money "abuses" of crafting is limited quite a bit.

Another limit would be to not let any crafted item be immediately sold to an NPC.

Mithril Full Plate would take 2485 days to craft (I forgot that the crafting was in silver, not gold). A masterwork Longsword takes 56 days to craft (and 2 days to enchant).

Unless we fix this, we're basicly telling weapons crafter, armor crafters, and alchemists, that they can barely craft anything.
Those numbers are probably for a pretty low skill check on the crafter's part, I suspect (is that based on minimum to craft MW?). But that's how crafting works in D&D. It prevents incredibly quick profit tricks being pulled. In pretty much all non-living PbPs, it's how it works too. Those who use magic make beaucoup bucks for their time because they are also trading their XP (well, except those crazy artificers :lol: )

The Craft points, as they stand, are actually balanced very very very unfairly in favour of the nonmagical crafters--the magic guy gets only 50% of their expenditure in profit and pays XP, and the nonmagical guy gets 66.6% as profit and doesn't pay XP.

Bront

The man with the probe
Well, we're working on a craft system here, so let's address this. With time being tracked and limited, crafting non-magical items is not going to be that fast or unlimited anyway.

And yes, those are based off of minemums and taking a 10, but you can't get significant improvements unless you raise the DC by 10 (which is the ONLY incriment you can).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Well, we're working on a craft system here, so let's address this. With time being tracked and limited, crafting non-magical items is not going to be that fast or unlimited anyway.

And yes, those are based off of minemums and taking a 10, but you can't get significant improvements unless you raise the DC by 10 (which is the ONLY incriment you can).
Remember, it's DC x check result, so you still get good improvements before hitting 30, though not as much as when you can get it to quadratically improve at 30.

Anyways, the key in guaging balance is to look at what you can do with this. Assuming we start with 125 craft days and also assuming the extremely modest skill mod of +5, even a level 1 character can just cash in their starting days for 400 gold of stuff--a huge gain compared to starting gold. Remember that anything we do to make it easier to do nonmagical crafting will mean even more disparity. Nonmagical crafting should not be close to as speedy as magical crafting, or else why spend XP and do the magical crafting? Let some other bozo do that and just do nonmagical crafting at no XP cost and buy from the bozo who did it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
That's crazy. No way should we allow something like that.
Well, realistically they may not be able to afford to do that, since they need 133 gold to fund that crafting, but yeah. I'm not convinced it's a problem yet (and if it is, we can probably fix it by requiring that characters spend no more than X craft days per RL week), but if we make it easier to craft as Ferrix definitely wants and it seems Bront may want too, it will only get worse than this--that's why I presented that number.

Ferrix

Explorer
RA makes it sound so simple and common that people will trade in their starting gold to craft for half a year to make more money. However, it will rarely ever be the actual case.

Most people will adventure and take adventure related skills over crafting skills.

Out of all the existing characters in the character thread, five or so have craft skills. Most of them warforged so they can repair themselves since they don't heal naturally.

Basically, what I'm saying about the craft skill is I would like a more accurate representation of construction based on difficulty, size, item type and material rather than just what the item would cost.

For a single crafter
A sailing ship will take less time to build than an adamantine breastplate.
A keelboat less time than an adamantine longsword.

This is a bit ridiculous.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ferrix said:
RA makes it sound so simple and common that people will trade in their starting gold to craft for half a year to make more money. However, it will rarely ever be the actual case.

Most people will adventure and take adventure related skills over crafting skills.

Out of all the existing characters in the character thread, five or so have craft skills. Most of them warforged so they can repair themselves since they don't heal naturally.

Basically, what I'm saying about the craft skill is I would like a more accurate representation of construction based on difficulty, size, item type and material rather than just what the item would cost.

For a single crafter
A sailing ship will take less time to build than an adamantine breastplate.
A keelboat less time than an adamantine longsword.

This is a bit ridiculous.
Even with Craft Points, the adamantine breastplate costs more CP than a sailboat. To change that would require an overhaul of the Craft skill itself, not the craft day system, so that doesn't mean we can't vote in the craft day system now while we're still thinking about a total overhaul for the skill.

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Even with Craft Points, the adamantine breastplate costs more CP than a sailboat. To change that would require an overhaul of the Craft skill itself, not the craft day system, so that doesn't mean we can't vote in the craft day system now while we're still thinking about a total overhaul for the skill.

That's why I specifically mentioned the craft skill not the craft day system.

I'm fine with the Craft Day system, but because I'm taking basic ownership of it, I can't vote on it.

Remove ads