D&D 5E Create a 5e Psion

Yaarel

He Mage
Which skill applies best to detect, identify, and interact with a particular power source?

Skill: Power Source
Arcana skill: Arcane power source
Religion skill: Divine power source
Nature skill: Primal power source
Insight skill (?): Psionic power source

Skill: Cosmology
Arcana skill: Ethereal, Fey, Shadow
Religion skill: Astral, Dominion, Wildspace
Nature skill: Material, Elemental

Horwath

Legend
I play Aberrant mind sorcerer with Subtle spell and Telekinetic feat.
Spell point variant.

With most spells that deal psychic damage or influence the mind(illusion/enchantment).

I works most similar to 3.5e psion/wilder.

Yaarel

He Mage
I play Aberrant mind sorcerer with Subtle spell and Telekinetic feat.
Spell point variant.

With most spells that deal psychic damage or influence the mind(illusion/enchantment).

I works most similar to 3.5e psion/wilder.
The Sorcerer is body magic. Here, the farrealms mutates the meat of the brain itself of the Aberrant Sorcerer. It isnt necessarily a specific aberration that does it, but the ambient influences of the farrealms that destabilizes the organic physiology while it destabilizes the material plane. It is a fun Sorcerer concept.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
Honestly, I care about mechanical balance. But am exploring.

Thoughts about this ... ?

PSIONIC AURA
Your psionic magic is personal, emanating from your mind around you. You ignore antimagic area effects, such as the Antimagic Field spell. When an antimagic effect targets you personally, such as Dispel Magic can, each of your magical effects that you are maintaining by means of a Duration, instead gains a DC equal to your spell save DC. This includes your low level effects. Your mind itself is immune to antimagic effects, and can manifest other magic effects afterward, as normal.

My own thoughts are:

Antimagic areas are rare. It is balanced to ignore them. The few times it ever happens becomes fun for the Psion player to show off.

Being targeted by Dispel Magic personally is balanced. For high level magical effects, the DC that the spell grants (10 + slot level) works out about the same as the DC that Psion has (8 + pro + ability).

The only meaningful difference is, the low level spells that the Psion is maintaining (including Mage Armor) wont automatically wink out. The antimagic spellcaster can try to dispel them − against the Psion DC − but might not succeed. Then the Psion keeps them up.

The flavor seems right. The Psion is the source of the magic. So to target the Psion personally should do something. But if its an area "tear in the weave", the Psion can totally not care about that.

Last edited:

Nokturnal

Villager
I'm pretty sure that in Kibble's Psion, each discipline's action is meant to be used as the primary at-will attack, much like a cantrip.

GMBinder is notoriously finicky about browsers, trying the link in another browser may work better. If it doesn't, the PDF is here. The Laserllama Psion gets 6+ level spells like a Warlock, gaining a new spell usable once/LR at levels 11/13/15/17, drawn from the Psion spell list.
Yes this is my understanding also. At level 1 in Kibbles Psion you get cantrip like abilities from both your Archetype and again from your Discipline.

Remove ads