• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating an archer PC

Dreaddisease

First Post
mooby said:
Archers can be a lot of fun, but be wary of "one-trick ponies."

You know I thought of this when creating an Arcane Archer so I made sure I had Weapon Finesse (Rapier) on a +1 Rapier I had and then I took quick draw for it. I have yet to even pull that sucker out. 40 - 50 combats later and I just start and finish with bow. I never can get close enough to fight hand to hand. I have a few first level spells that I usually cast if there is an empty round. True Strike gives my AA a +49 on the next hit. Light is great in dark, and I can always cast silent image if I get bored.

I'm always in the heat of battle. I've been surrounded by viscious bladed lions while my party who was all invisible had to rescue me while dealing with their own problems. I really thought about pulling that rapier out. But when it came down to it the one AoO was worth it to take down 3 of the beasts.

2 Copper pieces flying through the air
2 copper pieces that I share

mooby

First Post
Wow. I never thought you'd be using that Rapier so rarely.

My advise would be just to make sure you're carrying a sword around, or at least something better than a dagger (unless you've got Ranger levels, and use TWF -- that's kewl). I wouldn't be wasting any feats on a Melee weapon though!

Over the course of a campaign, any melee characters are going to end up finding better versions of their weapons along the way. Having the old fighters +1 or +2 longsword could come in handy one day. :)

hammymchamham

First Post
I was thinking of having an elven 5 ranger/2 wizard and go Arcane Archer. The AA's skills match well with the ranger. Combinded with 2WF, I could go melee if I need to.

Levels of Wizard will be nice so that I could use scrolls of true strike and have it prepared for the day :)

Apok said:

Other than that, the AA doesn't get many abilites that are terribly useful and they can only be used once per day. I consider this a fluke of early PrC design, since later archer-based PrC's tend to far outstrip the AA in ability.

I consider this a fault of later, over-the-top unbalanced PrCs, myself. I find AA to be one of the better-designed PrCs (IMHO).

Archers are fun characters. If you're taking wizard levels, consider specializing in Divination, for the extra true strikes.

Or you could be an elf cleric with the Elf and War domains for a really munchy archer ...;)

Apok

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:

I consider this a fault of later, over-the-top unbalanced PrCs, myself. I find AA to be one of the better-designed PrCs (IMHO).

Some see the glass as being half-full, others as half-empty. To each their own, I say, and I'm not about to start a flame war on the issue of PrC's and Balance.

Interesting to note, the AA is one of the few archer types that can take full advantage of a Bow of True Arrows.

mooby

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Or you could be an elf cleric with the Elf and War domains for a really munchy archer ...;)

I've ehard of this, but have never seen a design. I don't understand how it could work with a low BAB when compared to a fighter.

Zad

First Post
Regarding backup weapons -

I too carried a backup weapon. Used it once maybe. And the higher in level you go, the less you'll need it. If you get general access to some mobility spells, like Fly, you'll need it even less.

If the DM likes to sunder your bow, we'll maybe it's an issue then but done too often it's just being mean really.

Backup weapon sounds nice, but in practice I never really need it.

As for how to get to AA, generally speaking you will find that an Arcane Archer is really more of an Arcane Archer. Most people only take one or two spellcaster levels to satisfy the requirement, and the class doesn't advance them. You will have such limited spell casting abilities that it really won't come into play much. The entire notion of imbuing spells on arrows is somewhat of an illusion, since you won't know any spells worth bothering, and if you did, you probably wouldn't need to imbue them anyway - just cast them - their range is long enough.

mooby said:

I've ehard of this, but have never seen a design. I don't understand how it could work with a low BAB when compared to a fighter.

You give up a little in BAB (if that bothers you, multi to fighter), but consider the front loadedness of it:

Elf Domain grants Point Blank Shot
Spells include True Strike & Cat's Grace at levels 1 + 2.

War Domain grants Weapon Focus: Longbow if you worship Solonor Thelandira or Shevarash, plus Magic Weapon & Spiritual Weapon at levels 1 + 2

So consider the elf fighter archer at 1st level: +1 BAB, PBS, Rapid Shot, 10 hp, versus

elf cleric archer at 1st level: +0 BAB, PBS, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus (which compensates for BAB), PLUS the ability to cast True Strike and Magic Weapon (and other cleric spells), 8 hp.

The cleric starts to lose out at higher levels since he can't get Weapon Specialization, though spell usage compensates nicely. The hit point difference isn't a big deal, since an archer isn't usually on the front line. For maximum bang, multi to fighter after at least three levels of cleric, so you always have access to True Strike and Cat's Grace (and only need a 12 Wisdom)

It's an option, though I have to admit all the archer-types I've played have been either fighters, rangers, and one fighter/diviner.

Last edited:

hammymchamham

First Post
depending on how strict one views an Elven favored class being Wizard (i mean, what about specialtists?), a Elven 2nd Diviner with 18 levels in a fighter class at 20th level will have a +19 to hit before you take into account Magic bows, dexterity, and enhancement to arrows. Then add on true strike at 4 times per day (if an intellegence of 12+ is used). Hey, sure you use a round, but thats +39 before other bonuses :)

Remove ads