• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating an archer PC

Eben

First Post
Originally posted by Hong:
A couple of fights ago, I was doing 100 points of damage per round to an
ancient black dragon, shooting right through its darkness spells.

This gives new meaning to the word munchkin.
;)

But I wasn't looking for anything fancy like this.
(Enjoyed the read though)

Numion

First Post
hong said:

Eh. Believe me, a determined OotBI or deepwood sniper could do exactly the same damage, if not more.

If the OotBI in my group has Imp. Invisibility it's about 250+ pts. average per round. (And as I've said before, arrows don't stack with bows in my game.)

edit: he's pretty high level (20) though...

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Numion said:

If the OotBI in my group has Imp. Invisibility it's about 250+ pts. average per round. (And as I've said before, arrows don't stack with bows in my game.)

Numion's schwartz is bigger than mine! :D

It's funny. The fight against the dragon was the first time I pulled that called shot trick, and it left everyone a bit stunned (including me). I think it wasn't so much that I was dishing out 100 points of damage (the tanks and the rogue/ninja were already capable of doing that), it was that I was doing it with just two hits. I was embarrassed enough that I went back to the PrC and toned it down.

I have to admit, there's nothing quite like forcing massive damage Fort saves multiple times per round on a dragon. ;)

Eben

First Post
Okay, what about a levelled breakdown of the playability of an archer.
How does he work lvl 1-5, lvl 6-10, lvl 11-15 and lvl 16-20?

I'm especially interested in a low level character. It seems to mee that noboby plays anything below 10th level.

Jeremy

Explorer
In my probably skewed opinion: :D

1-6 You probably hit better than melee fighters but do considerably less damage.

6-10 Bread and butter levels. You hit better, from farther, and more often, and likely just as hard as melee fighters and much more consistently than spellcasters.

11-15 Here you should have at least the major special abilities of your prestige classes and should be a threat to be reckoned with, even solo.

16-20 Smackdown range. Now you are really powerful, but unfortunately, just about everyone has caught up to you, and spellcasters have well surpassed you.

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
Eben said:
Okay, what about a levelled breakdown of the playability of an archer.
How does he work lvl 1-5, lvl 6-10, lvl 11-15 and lvl 16-20?

I'm especially interested in a low level character. It seems to mee that noboby plays anything below 10th level.

Generally speaking I'd have to say that Jeremy's assesment of things is accurate. But to add my two bits, until you are hitting about 3rd lvl almost everyone is equally ineffective. Since the dice rolls are more important than any skills or bonuses you have. By the time you hit 4th, you've got enough bonuses, feats and eqipment that you are starting to become really effective.

The reason most of the "archer" characters are mid to high levels, is that you aren't able to take any of the archery prestige classes until you are hitting 5th or 6th generally so it's not until 8-10th that a character has enough levels in the prestige class to really esablish an identity as an archer v.s. simply a fighter type that uses a bow.

One other note, given typical character progressions most archer characters will be reaching the end of their primary prestige class around 16-17th level. So one question to consider is what to do until you hit epic levels.

Madriver

First Post
mooby said:

I've ehard of this, but have never seen a design. I don't understand how it could work with a low BAB when compared to a fighter.

With the buffs from cleric spells (especially cats grace, divine favor, greater magic weapon, and divine power) and the reach spell feat, the cleric archer never has to come close to combat, even to heal. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads