• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating content

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Continuing the thought above, describe NPCs' equipment.
The bouncer pulls out a club and swings on the closest brawler.
The guard wears a chain shirt over leather armor and his coinpurse jingles in time with his steps; it must be payday.
You see the sneakpad pull out a small case of tools and work to pick a lock.
The first goblin draws a scimitar and his buddy prepares a bow and a quiver full of arrows.

Likewise with other stuff in the world.
Down in the dungeon, the hallway ends at an iron door.
The bushes were too dense to see through, too tall to look over.
The two-wheeled cart was empty save for a wadded-up tarp.
The investigator knew a Magic Circle when he saw it, but did not recognize the runes scribed around it - it might summon an infernal being, or teleport things away, or even explode if disturbed.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hmm, something I forgot to mention above. Important NPCs, factions, and places should also (often) have secrets: things the players can find out if they do some information gathering. Secret vices, habits, relations, allegiances, dark gods worshipped, treason, whatever sounds good. For places it might be secret entrances, rumors of ancient treasure, important lore, info about staff and guards, etc etc. Some things won't lend themselves to secrets, but I try to include them when I have a good idea. For important places and NPCs they almost always come up, one way or another.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads