• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes, I guess so. The cat lord has a 3.X conversion already in the ELH, I guess, so how about the lizard?

Filby

First Post
We've also got a "Cat Lord" in the Creature Catalogue's Animal Lord template (based on the Leopard, so it should really be a "Leopard Lord").

Flavor-wise, each Animal Lord represents all animals of its "kind", so there's no Leopard Lord or Lion Lord, just a single Cat Lord.

That said, the Planescape Cat Lord is a separate character from the Greyhawk Cat Lord ("Rexfelis"), whom she supposedly replaced in Planescape's lore.

Cleon

Legend
Flavor-wise, each Animal Lord represents all animals of its "kind", so there's no Leopard Lord or Lion Lord, just a single Cat Lord.

Afraid not, for both the Animal Lord Monstrous Compendium entries mention a Tiger Lord ("The tiger lord will look like a sleek, beautiful tiger, the badger lord will appear as a badger, etc."), meaning the Cat Lord can't exclusively represent all cats.

Either the "Cat Lord" only oversees domestic cats and their wild cat kin, or there's some overlap in the animals each Lord watches over.

That said, the Planescape Cat Lord is a separate character from the Greyhawk Cat Lord ("Rexfelis"), whom she supposedly replaced in Planescape's lore.

Well the only real difference between them is the Cat Lord in Greyhawk and the MC8 Outer Planes Appendix is male and the Planescape Appendix's Cat Lord is female.

They could just have encountered a girdle of femininity/masculinity you know.:p

freyar

First off, let's recap the original stats:

Lizard Lord
Climate/Terrain: Beastlands
Frequency: Unique
Organization: Solitary
Activity Cycle: Any
Diet: Carnivore
Intelligence:
Treasure: Nil
Alignment: Neutral
No. Appearing: 1
Armor Class: 3
Movement: 15
Hit Dice: 15 (122 hp)
THAC0: 5
No. of Attacks: See below
Damage/Attack: See below
Special Attacks: Hypnotism
Special Defenses: Danger sense, weapon immunity
Magic Resistance: 50%
Size: See below
Morale: Champion (15-16)
XP Value: 18,000

and
Lizard Lord
The lizard lord is one of the most easily recognized animal lords. He sometimes appears as an imperious human male with the jeweled, beaded skin of a gila monster. In animal form, he appears as a huge gila monster or komodo dragon.

Combat: In human form the lizard lord rarely uses weapons, preferring instead to depend on his strong hypnotism ability. Creatures meeting the lizard lord’s gaze must save vs. spell at a -3 penalty or become susceptible to the lord’s suggestions.

In animal form, the lizard lord may bite for 2d6 points of damage. Any creature bitten on an attack roll of natural 20 takes double damage and is trapped in the animal lord’s jaws, thereafter taking normal damage each round until the victim escapes or dies. The lizard lord is also immune to attacks by blunt weapons in this form.

Habitat/Society: The lizard lord is one of the most aloof animal lords. He rarely takes human form, and even less rarely involves himself in the affairs of nonreptile kind. Usually sedentary, he only infrequently rouses himself out of his torpor, and that only at some great calamity to his people. Once active, however, he is implacable in his anger and desire for vengeance.

I guess I would say all 4 forms you suggest are good. The hypnotism sounds like suggestion as an SLA, but I honestly think dominate would work better. It's a gaze attack, so we could just crib from the vampire.

Anyway, first things first. The original HD is the same as the hawk lord, so 37HD to keep them the same?

Cleon

Legend
First off, let's recap the original stats:

and

I guess I would say all 4 forms you suggest are good. The hypnotism sounds like suggestion as an SLA, but I honestly think dominate would work better. It's a gaze attack, so we could just crib from the vampire.

Anyway, first things first. The original HD is the same as the hawk lord, so 37HD to keep them the same?

All the Monstrous Compendium Animal Lords have the same HD and hit points, so I think we'd better give them all the same Hit Dice and Constitutions in our conversions.

So we're talking:

Human Form - Medium Outsider, 37d8+111 (277 hp), Con 16
Lizard Form - Tiny Outsider, 37d8+111 (277 hp), Con 16
"Big Lizard" Form - [Large or Huge?] Outsider, 37d8+185 (351 hp), Con 20
Hybrid Form (Lizardfolk?) - Medium Outsider, 37d8+185 (351 hp), Con 20

How big shall we make the "Big Lizard" form.

It says "he appears as a huge gila monster or komodo dragon". Is he literally Huge, or just the size of the biggest komodo dragons?

The SRD Monitor Lizard doesn't advance larger than its default size of Medium.

I'd like to make him at least Large in his Great Lizard form.

freyar

I think Large works well as the "big lizard."

I'm happy with the proposed HD and Con. I'd say Str should be pretty good, Dex moderate. Int is oddly blank, but Cha should be good. OK, have to run...

Remove ads