• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's acceptable!

Alternate form seems like a pretty close copy from the hawk lord. Do you agree to the vampire's domination gaze as a model for the hypnotism gaze attack (in humanoid form)?

Cleon

Legend
That's acceptable!

The more I think about it, the more I like the Giant Lizard form being huge and the hybrid form being Large.

We're giving the Giant Lizard lizard form increased Strength, and it's likely not to have many attacks - maybe only a bite attack - so Large doesn't seem, well, large enough. Also, our Megalania conversion is Huge.

I'd also fancy giving it a Swallow Whole attack and a toxic bite if it's an "avatar of lizardliness".

Alternate form seems like a pretty close copy from the hawk lord. Do you agree to the vampire's domination gaze as a model for the hypnotism gaze attack (in humanoid form)?

Well, I think it's more of a "transfixing the victim" deal rather than controlling their action like domination or making them your friend like charm.

So, make it a fascination effect like hypnotic pattern?

freyar

A Huge giant lizard with Swallow Whole certainly appeals. The original description already sounds like it has Imp Grab and Chew (which we could also give the smaller lizard). I'll think about the poison.

Why do you say it doesn't sound like controlling the victim? The original text says, "In human form the lizard lord rarely uses weapons, preferring instead to depend on his strong hypnotism ability. Creatures meeting the lizard lord’s gaze must save vs. spell at a -3 penalty or become susceptible to the lord’s suggestions." I assumed "suggestions" was like the spell and gave it a bit of an upgrade to domination because, you know, epic. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Why do you say it doesn't sound like controlling the victim? The original text says, "In human form the lizard lord rarely uses weapons, preferring instead to depend on his strong hypnotism ability. Creatures meeting the lizard lord’s gaze must save vs. spell at a -3 penalty or become susceptible to the lord’s suggestions." I assumed "suggestions" was like the spell and gave it a bit of an upgrade to domination because, you know, epic. ;)

Domination seems too much like the Hawk Lord's charm gaze to me.

Besides, suggestion isn't domination either.

Anyhow, from what I remember the AD&D hypnotism was a cinematic "you are feeling sleepy" kind of mesmerism, like Kaa's hypnotic gaze in Disney's version of the Jungle Book.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ILPl5FQaM"]Jungle Book[/ame]

[Note: What? Enworld turns links to Youtube pages into embedded videos now? Or did it always work like that and I've never linked to a video before. I'd much rather have just had a link.]

We could have the gaze fascinate opponents who will then respond to suggestion (as the spell) from the Lizard Lord?

Oh, and since we gave the Hawk Lady Hawk Lord some weapons we ought to give the lizard version some as well, even though he "rarely uses them". Maybe a repeating crossbow and a dagger of venom?

Hold on, it was the Wolf Lord that had an envenomed dagger in the original.

How does that make any kind of thematic sense? Wolves aren't poisonous!

freyar

Maybe that's why the wolf lord needs a poison dagger. ;)

Anyway, I'm open to the idea of a fascination gaze plus suggestion, but it should be pretty potent. Long duration, long range, something like that.

Cleon

Legend
Maybe that's why the wolf lord needs a poison dagger. ;)

Anyway, I'm open to the idea of a fascination gaze plus suggestion, but it should be pretty potent. Long duration, long range, something like that.

I'd go for "long range" out of those options.

freyar

How about something like this, then?

Fascinating Gaze (Su): Victims are fascinated for 1?? minute, 120 feet, Will DC X negates. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Then, under SLAs: suggestion (only creatures fascinated by the Lizard Lord's fascinating gaze (see above)).

Cleon

Legend
How about something like this, then?

Fascinating Gaze (Su): Victims are fascinated for 1?? minute, 120 feet, Will DC X negates. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Then, under SLAs: suggestion (only creatures fascinated by the Lizard Lord's fascinating gaze (see above)).

Don't care for that. I would incorporate the suggestion effect as a secondary action in the Gaze special attack.

Making the suggestion effect a separate SLA seems messy to me, and it'll also give it a much lower DC (3 + ability from spell level instead of 13 + ability from HD).

freyar

OK, true enough.

Fascinating Gaze (Su): Victims are fascinated for 1?? minute, 120 feet, Will DC X negates. As a free action, the Lizard Lord may cast suggestion on each fascinated victim once per round (Will save DC X negates). The save DCs is Charisma-based.

Or something like that.

Cleon

Legend
OK, true enough.

Fascinating Gaze (Su): Victims are fascinated for 1?? minute, 120 feet, Will DC X negates. As a free action, the Lizard Lord may cast suggestion on each fascinated victim once per round (Will save DC X negates). The save DCs is Charisma-based.

Or something like that.

I was thinking more they stay fascinated for as long as the Lizard Lord maintains its gaze attack (requiring a standard action per round), but get another save vs Will if they take damage.

Remove ads