• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I thought you were talking about requiring an action to maintain the fascination effect, since that's what it sounded like in post 810 above.

I'd like the fascination to be something like as long as the victim sees the Lizard Lord (plus fixed duration probably), so that's a free action for the Lizard Lord, like most gaze attacks. The suggestion could be something else.

Cleon

Legend
I thought you were talking about requiring an action to maintain the fascination effect, since that's what it sounded like in post 810 above.

Yes I was, while making the "maintaining the fascination" a fairly low-cost action, like a swift or move action, with a costlier action for the "suggestion".

I'd like the fascination to be something like as long as the victim sees the Lizard Lord (plus fixed duration probably), so that's a free action for the Lizard Lord, like most gaze attacks. The suggestion could be something else.

I'm more in favor of it working like the original hypnotism spell - a short action to use (it's a 1 segment casting time originally), then hypnotizes for a set duration those targets who fail their save. The original spell lasted 1 + caster level rounds.

Don't care for the indefinite fascination as long as the victim watches, at least if we're making it a free action. It should either allow new saves periodically or require some effort on the Lizard Lord's behalf, like a Harpy's captivating song requires the harpy to continue singing.

Cleon

Legend
Okay, we seem to be arguing round in circles here. How about I post a compromise proposal for the gaze attack and see what we like about it:

Hypnotic Gaze (Su): Fascinates for X rounds? X minutes?, 100 ft. range, Will DC Y negates. The lizard lord can implant suggestions (Will DC Y negates) in creatures fascinated by its gaze. The effect is the same as a suggestion spell unless otherwise stated. The lizard lord can plant a suggestion into a single creature as a swift action or into all creatures it has fascinated as a standard action. The duration of the suggestion is 24 hours or until the suggested activity is completed. This mind-affecting ability is not language-dependent, since the lizard lord can use telepathy to convey hypnotic suggestions to any sentient creature. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

freyar

Well, that's pretty close to what I had before with the suggestion embedded! That's fine! I earlier suggested a tentative fascination duration of 1 minute. How's that sound?

Cleon

Legend
Well, that's pretty close to what I had before with the suggestion embedded! That's fine! I earlier suggested a tentative fascination duration of 1 minute. How's that sound?

Generally speaking I prefer random durations for such effects. Maybe 1d20 rounds or 1d10+10 rounds? Or honour the Mighty Dodecahedron and make it 2d12? :p

Cleon

Legend
Generally speaking I prefer random durations for such effects. Maybe 1d20 rounds or 1d10+10 rounds? Or honour the Mighty Dodecahedron and make it 2d12? :p

By the way, did we decide on whether the Lizard Lord can only use its hypnogaze in humanoid form? The description isn't quite clear - it says it prefers to use its gaze instead of weapons when humanoid, but it doesn't say it can't use its gaze attack as a lizard.

The implication is that it's only useful in its humanoid form, like the Hawk Lord's charm gaze, so we should add a "It can only use this ability while in humanoid form" proviso to the description.

Having it hypnogazing while using its Giant Lizard Claws & Bite would make it a lot nastier.

Speaking of which, I think it should have claws and bite attacks in Humanoid Form - since it's likely to turn into a Lizardfolk quite a lot!

freyar

2d12 rounds is fine. :)

The phrasing on the hypnotic gaze is similar to lady hawk's charm: it doesn't say it can only be used in human form, but it's only listed under human form. Unless we want to change the hawk lord's, I'd rather make this gaze function only in humanoid form.

I'd be willing to give the Lizard Lord some natural attacks in humanoid form. Should we specify that the humanoid form is a lizardfolk? Might make sense.

I also notice that the original stats list weapon immunity as a special defense. I don't really like immunity, but DR X/- would work.

The working draft could really use an update, by the way (boy, it would be useful if we had mod editing powers).

Cleon

Legend
2d12 rounds is fine. :)

The phrasing on the hypnotic gaze is similar to lady hawk's charm: it doesn't say it can only be used in human form, but it's only listed under human form. Unless we want to change the hawk lord's, I'd rather make this gaze function only in humanoid form.

Well it seems at least that special attack's finished then.

I'd be willing to give the Lizard Lord some natural attacks in humanoid form. Should we specify that the humanoid form is a lizardfolk? Might make sense.

The description sounds more like a human with a scaly skin, but I liked the idea of the Lizard Lord being able to take the form of any reptilian humanoid (Lizardfolk, Troglodyte, et cetera). Although he always looks like the same individual of that repto-man, e.g. the lizard lord appears as "The Lizard Lord as a Lizardfolk", he can't make itself look like "King Sssethhlich of the Marsh Axes". Well, unless Sssethhlich happens to look just like the Lizard Lord.

Hold on, I just remembered I'd already though of a simple solution to this.

Its "Human form" looks like a human, while its "Hybrid Form" looks like a lizardfolk (or other reptilian humanoid).

I also notice that the original stats list weapon immunity as a special defense. I don't really like immunity, but DR X/- would work.

The original monster has immunity to blunt trauma when in lizard form. Which is just weird - lizards aren't immune to being squashed! I'd either cut it out or give it some all-purpose DR like you proposed.

The working draft could really use an update, by the way (boy, it would be useful if we had mod editing powers).

I can take a hint.

Updating Lizard Lord Working Draft.

freyar

Making the hybrid a lizardfolk works, though I wonder why it (or any of the animal lords) would look particularly human as opposed to like any other kind of humanoid.

Let's give it some DR /- since it's supposed to be tough.

I'm not sure about a ranged tongue attack, but I'd definitely add claws.

Thanks for the update! ;)

Cleon

Legend
Making the hybrid a lizardfolk works, though I wonder why it (or any of the animal lords) would look particularly human as opposed to like any other kind of humanoid.

Yes it's weird, but most of the Animal Lords are described as looking human in their alternate form. Maybe it helps them blend in?

Let's give it some DR /- since it's supposed to be tough.

Well I guess I'd be OK with a few points. We gave the Hawk Lord improved evasion, so the Lizard Lord deserves a special defense too.

I'm not sure about a ranged tongue attack, but I'd definitely add claws.

It just seemed suitably lizard-themed to me. What melee weapon do you fancy for the humanoid/hybrid form.

A trident maybe, like a Lizard King?

Thanks for the update! ;)

You're welcome!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads