D&D General Critical Role Investigation Into Complaint

A couple of weeks ago, Critical Role was accused of commissioning work from one of their community members, but of not paying for that work. The company immediately undertook to investigate the claim, and made this statement, indicating that no work was commissioned or received from the person in question, and no such agreement was in place. The person who made the complaint referred to...

A couple of weeks ago, Critical Role was accused of commissioning work from one of their community members, but of not paying for that work. The company immediately undertook to investigate the claim, and made this statement, indicating that no work was commissioned or received from the person in question, and no such agreement was in place.

criticalrole.jpg

The person who made the complaint referred to online bullying within the Critical Role fandom.

The full announcement reads:

PRESS RELEASE

A couple weeks ago, an individual made statements online claiming that he provided work for Critical Role without payment. Critical Role took these allegations seriously and immediately sought to investigate the situation. After an extensive investigation directed by outside counsel, it has been concluded that Critical Role never established, or intended to establish, any employment, independent contractor relationship, consulting arrangement or any other type of work-related contract with that member of the community.

This individual voluntarily reached out to Critical Role with concerns around his own experience with online bullying. Critical Role does not condone online bullying or harassment of any kind, and an employee within the company listened with the sole purpose of being an understanding ear. The correspondences on Discord reflect an empathetic dialogue with a concerned member of the community and not the providing of any professional services to Critical Role by this individual. Nothing in the communications established any professional, employment, or contractual relationship with Critical Role. After months of casual interaction, the individual made an inquiry to the Critical Role employee about possibly being engaged by Critical Role as a consultant to the company. Upon receiving this request, the Critical Role employee immediately and clearly declined the request.

The importance of helping cultivate and encourage positive and inclusive spaces for Critters has always been a huge priority for us well before this interaction. Although we understand that there is only so much we can control within unofficial online communities and platforms, Critical Role has been working on new policies to ensure that we’re clear with you about what we stand for, and more importantly, what we do not stand for. You’ll hear more about this in the coming months.

Thank you for your ongoing support. Harassment of any kind is unacceptable, so please be kind, and don’t forget to love each other.

Critical Role

Teraptus

Explorer
Wait...targeting them irl???

Not yet and not in a physical harm way - I don't think anyone would be that dumb..then again... "Orcs" ..... These individuals are stating they don't accept / trust anyone that supports WOTC and have used "white men" to describe the fan base...we know where that goes., which in turn can relate to IRL actions at LFGS/expos etc....

Teraptus

Explorer
I don’t think it’s that simple. WotC in particular seems to be getting it from all sides right now. The folks talking about Mearls or Orion Black are definitely not the same folks yelling at them about alignment and orcs.

They are. However, the meaningful issues are being used to fuel the fire of the Twitter nonsense being spread around. I sunk into the rabbit hole and found many of them spewing literal hatred only because you support WOTC. The Orc crowd is fusing with the other crowd and becoming one.

G

Guest 6948803

WotC web presence certainly looks paralysed by their PR department.
Whoever speaks up, needs to be super-careful or one side or another will find something objectionable.
Answering rules questions is pretty safe. But even talking about direction of future product brews controversy ("Why only this and not more? Why so late? If it ain't broken, don't fix it!").
I doubt they can afford to "lose" some senior designers this way, like they "lost" Mike Mearls. Contrary to what some say, free-range talent isn't what makes good books (I work in publishing and its always like this - 90% professionalism and 10% ideas).
Anyway, today its combat zone in social media out there.

Rhineglade

Adventurer
What has happened to the "innocent game" I used to love and cherish as a boy? People have all gone plum loco! Bottom line: you see something you don't like or perhaps don't agree with? Fine. But don't be an naughty word. "naughty word" definition: stalk your perceived offending parties and harass them in any way, shape or form (especially when the issue doesn't even concern the general public).

Dausuul

Legend
Ugh...I am so glad after they self examined they realized they did nothing wrong...

Then again, if my boss was breaking the law, got called on it, then said "I made sure to thourgouly investigate this and I did nothing wrong...here I paid a lawyer to also tell you I did nothing wrong" no one would believe her.
If in fact they did nothing wrong, what else were they supposed to say?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not yet and not in a physical harm way - I don't think anyone would be that dumb..then again... "Orcs" ..... These individuals are stating they don't accept / trust anyone that supports WOTC and have used "white men" to describe the fan base...we know where that goes., which in turn can relate to IRL actions at LFGS/expos etc....
The thing about diving into rabbit holes is, you put yourself in a perspective that sees the rabbit hole as much bigger than it is.

There are a few jerks on twitter who are extremely angry at wotc.

And no, the #firemikemearls crowd and the crowd angry about upcoming changes to alignment are not the same crowd. At all.
People until you have a written contract in hand, don't do any work on a project.
Seems more like this person tried to push their way into CR like they wanted to be the next Dani Carr (fan turned core part of the team), by basically putting in a bunch of voluntary work that CR didn't ask for wrt anti-bullying policy, refused to accept that they weren't being received how they wanted to be received, demanded a job/payment, and then accused CR of a bunch on nonsense when they were told no.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Also, the accuser is a known liar, and a bigot who targets anyone in the Queer community that isn't a cis gay man, accused Liam and Travis of queerbaiting for not making Caleb/Fjord happen, and denies that Beau is actually queer because she hasn't explicitly said that she is a lesbian.

Like, take accusations seriously enough to look at them and genuinely review their contents and the context around them, but we don't need to do any more than that for someone who provokes the community with bigoted speech, attacks on the character of the CR castmembers, and then cries harassment when the community pushes back.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
And no, the #firemikemearls crowd and the crowd angry about upcoming changes to alignment are not the same crowd. At all.

Fun fact- all that is old, is new again. We might say that people who are diametrically opposed on most issues "are not the same crowd. At all." And yet history shows us that extreme people tend to find common cause to keep the rest of us down.

Andrea Dworkin and Edwin Meese might not have agreed on much at all, but they shared the same contemptuous view of the principles of free speech and the First Amendment as an obstacle to impose their views; their goals might have been different, but the desire to impose their beliefs on others was the same.

As to the instant issue, while an outside law firm investigation hardly ensures that there was no malfeasance, it does appear that Critical Role took the accusations seriously and verified that they had no substance.

teitan

Legend
WotC web presence certainly looks paralysed by their PR department.
Whoever speaks up, needs to be super-careful or one side or another will find something objectionable.
Answering rules questions is pretty safe. But even talking about direction of future product brews controversy ("Why only this and not more? Why so late? If it ain't broken, don't fix it!").
I doubt they can afford to "lose" some senior designers this way, like they "lost" Mike Mearls. Contrary to what some say, free-range talent isn't what makes good books (I work in publishing and its always like this - 90% professionalism and 10% ideas).
Anyway, today its combat zone in social media out there.

except Mearls is back on the team.

Remove ads

Remove ads