D&D 5E Critical Role Miniatures Coming Soon

Fans of Critical Role will be excited to hear that WizKids will be bringing you a range of pre-painted miniatures based on the world of Exandria (which contains Tal'Dorei and Wildemount). They launch in hobby stores early this year, and include iconic monsters and player characters from the series, including a gargantuan Udaak.

1042x588-CR-Social-Pt-2-Announcement.png

Ringtail

World Traveller
As a fan of Critical Role this stuff is just getting surreal to me. Their D&D game has turned into Comic Books, TV Shows, D&D Tie-In Products and every kind of merch you can think of.

The world they have created together is really turning into something of a mini media-empire. I would not be surprised to see a video-game or even their own spin-off RPG before the decade is out.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As a fan of Critical Role this stuff is just getting surreal to me. Their D&D game has turned into Comic Books, TV Shows, D&D Tie-In Products and every kind of merch you can think of.

The world they have created together is really turning into something of a mini media-empire. I would not be surprised to see a video-game or even their own spin-off RPG before the decade is out.
They launched an publishing company called Darrington Press last year.

I wonder about if this game-live show works and is making money, why not other streaming services by big companies using the same recipe? Not only WotC but also Netflix, Disney+ and HBO.

* When a game-live podcast based in a D&D world but not FR neither Ravenloft?

jgsugden

Legend
I wonder about if this game-live show works and is making money, why not other streaming services by big companies using the same recipe? Not only WotC but also Netflix, Disney+ and HBO.

* When a game-live podcast based in a D&D world but not FR neither Ravenloft?
Because it is not an easily repeatable formula. A lot of people have tried, but nobody else has this level of success. They have a very skilled DM, every player has their own brand of charisma, and they understand how to appeal to others. Not everyone is a fan, but they have a much broader appeal than any of the other streaming games.

I hope they stay independent rather than sell out to a larger name as they've already seen what that did to Felicia Day's channel.

Because it is not an easily repeatable formula. A lot of people have tried, but nobody else has this level of success. They have a very skilled DM, every player has their own brand of charisma, and they understand how to appeal to others. Not everyone is a fan, but they have a much broader appeal than any of the other streaming games.

I hope they stay independent rather than sell out to a larger name as they've already seen what that did to Felicia Day's channel.

Yeah, there's a few other D&D actual play shows with some level of success. Acquisitions Incorporated got a 5E book (it's also one of the oldest D&D actual play shows, starting around the beginning of 4E). The Adventure Zone has multiple graphic novel adaptations (and I think I heard they're also getting a show).

Critical Role is definitely its own beast, though, possibly thanks to the cast's connections in the entertainment industry. For example, a game called Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell came out a few months before Matt's home game became broadcast for the first time as Critical Role. Said game features voice actors/soon-to-be Critical Role star Travis Willingham making a reference to "Trinket the Bear", an animal companion in Critical Role's first campaign. When Travis recorded that line he possibly had no idea Critical Role was going to be a thing and expected the reference to Trinket to be an obscure in-joke.

Personally, I'm curious about Joe Manganiello's home game and wonder if he ever plans to release any sort of products related to it. His character Arkhan the Cruel has already been featured in Descent into Avernus.

One thing I'm glad with CR personally is when they branch out into other campaigns and even systems. The Monsterhearts was alright I thought, and the Honey Heists are pretty cute. I really reeeeeally loved them doing Undeadwood which was Deadwood TV show mixed with Deadlands/Savage Worlds.

jgsugden

Legend
These are pretty expensive sets - MSRP of $50 or $60 bucks. For 8 or 9 figures. And it isn't like you're getting named individuals in the humanoid boxes - they're generic setting figures. If they'd done an Exandria set in the D&D line with named individuals, and a few more Exandria monsters I might have bought a case... I'll likely pass on these. I might get one of the two monster boxes if I can find it at 1/3 off.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases