D&D 5E Critical Role Miniatures Coming Soon

Fans of Critical Role will be excited to hear that WizKids will be bringing you a range of pre-painted miniatures based on the world of Exandria (which contains Tal'Dorei and Wildemount). They launch in hobby stores early this year, and include iconic monsters and player characters from the series, including a gargantuan Udaak.

1042x588-CR-Social-Pt-2-Announcement.png

Dire Bare

Legend
Paying a higher cost for Critical Role figures, which are not really iconically Critical Role, is not sensible. If I'm going to pay more for Critical Role humanoid figures, I want them to be evocatively representative of something uniquely Critical Role.
We just did the math upthread, and you really aren't paying all that much more per figure. A bit yes, likely due to the smaller production run compared to the blind boxes for D&D and Pathfinder.

But at the end of the day, if the miniatures don't excite you enough at that price point . . . there's plenty more out there available from all sorts of companies, of course. The cost of these Critical Role minis is high, but not really unreasonable, compared to other figures from WizKids and other companies.

Personally, I'd want to see paintjobs before I made a purchase. If they are painted to the level of most blind-box minis, I won't be interested personally.

BRayne

Adventurer
If the creatures these minis represent are featured in the upcoming animated series they are putting out on Amazon Prime, Wiz Kids should do quite well with this line, regardless of the price.

I think only the "Grinner" and "Ravenite Dragonborn" figures would likely appear in the animated series. These are pretty much all campaign 2 based while the cartoon is campaign 1.

jgsugden

Legend
I think only the "Grinner" and "Ravenite Dragonborn" figures would likely appear in the animated series. These are pretty much all campaign 2 based while the cartoon is campaign 1.
Right on point. If they released a Briarwood box that had Lord Briarwood, Lady Briarwood, Anna Ripley, Gilmore, Sir Kerrion, Duke Vedemeyer, Professor Anders, Lady Kima, and Allura I'd think of it as a Critical Role box. Instead, when we get randos from the Empire - with the Exception of Pumat Sole, the one overlap with the unpainted line already released which proves they had come capability to overlap.

BRayne

Adventurer
Right on point. If they released a Briarwood box that had Lord Briarwood, Lady Briarwood, Anna Ripley, Gilmore, Sir Kerrion, Duke Vedemeyer, Professor Anders, Lady Kima, and Allura I'd think of it as a Critical Role box. Instead, when we get randos from the Empire - with the Exception of Pumat Sole, the one overlap with the unpainted line already released which proves they had come capability to overlap.

It's certainly more based on Explorer's Guide to Wildemount (I mean they're almost all just 3d renders of art from the book) than the show itself. I would say there are some figures that are basically named characters even if they aren't defined as such on the mini. The Blood Hunter is Elias de Corvo (who hasn't appeared on the show and is just named as the "Iconic" Blood Hunter) and The Grinner is Dr. Dranzel

pumasleeve

Explorer
I have been played since first edition. I never needed pro-gaming and never will. I have never been able to watch more than 5 minutes of CR, its not my thing. Im not trolling, if its your thing, more power to you and there are a lot of you.

It's certainly more based on Explorer's Guide to Wildemount (I mean they're almost all just 3d renders of art from the book) than the show itself. I would say there are some figures that are basically named characters even if they aren't defined as such on the mini. The Blood Hunter is Elias de Corvo (who hasn't appeared on the show and is just named as the "Iconic" Blood Hunter) and The Grinner is Dr. Dranzel
I think this is a key part. The minis in the set seem to be beasties directly from the Explorer's Guide. I know because I busted the sahuagin servant of Uk'otoa (ukotoaukotoaukotoa) out on a party.

Paul3

Explorer
As a fan of Critical Role this stuff is just getting surreal to me. Their D&D game has turned into Comic Books, TV Shows, D&D Tie-In Products and every kind of merch you can think of.

The world they have created together is really turning into something of a mini media-empire. I would not be surprised to see a video-game or even their own spin-off RPG before the decade is out.

I used to watch the show from time to time, simply because Mercer was so darn good. Over time, I grew to not be able to stand one cast member and many of the fans became insufferable, so I checked out. However, my point is that despite my personal preference, I think the story behind their rise is just magnificent and I am glad that these characters that mean a lot to many people will be expanded in this way.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Joe has definitely been involved in various live-streamed games. But not on the scale of Critical Role, where the streamed game is a major focus of the participants time and energy. Manganiello isn't pulling a Mercer, so to speak. Perhaps I am splitting hairs . . . .

Does Manganiello actually DM at all, though? I've only ever heard him discuss the game as a player. I'm pretty sure he is not the DM of his home game either.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases