Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

akr71

Hero
True enough @jmucchiello, but now they've got $5 million and counting to hire a writer that can include the details with as little time wasted as possible.

However, I doubt they'll ever go back to that story arc in an animated series. This new story and the Briarwood arc make a lot of sense... and they can just continue from there.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
$5.4 million, and almost 40,000 individual backers. The >$100 median and average is holding up. Over 17,000 $100 pledges at this point.

You might not be wronge but the run to 3.5 was insane fast but the run to 4.5 was way slower. I have no doubt that they will hit 5 and you might be right that they shatter 6 but even with the late game spike, the best prices that poeple can aford are gone. Even with 144,345 backers as an estimate I think having hit their goal already they will likely have about a 10% pay in total is my guess, but with only lower level rewards … eh ….they might make 10 million but I really feel like 6 million will be closer. If they open op more meat the cast and tour the studio rewards I think it would cause a larger spike than them stating it is open for backers at this point. Just My Opinion. I wish them luck and if they blow that away I am happy for them.
Well, yesterday I predicted they'd hit 5 million by this morning, and they did. And I predicted they'd hit 6 million by Friday morning and they're already at 5.5 million. So they're actually ahead by my prediction and they haven't even aired their Thursday night episode where they'll likely hype it more. So they'll likely hit 6 million by the end of the week.
And they can always add more rewards.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Well, yesterday I predicted they'd hit 5 million by this morning, and they did. And I predicted they'd hit 6 million by Friday morning and they're already at 5.5 million. So they're actually ahead by my prediction and they haven't even aired their Thursday night episode where they'll likely hype it more. So they'll likely hit 6 million by the end of the week.
And they can always add more rewards.

Well the motivation was starting to die off... but then they dropped the conversion to a Series instead of movie... that then expands thought each story arc. The limit on donations was more or less "what does this do for me or them?" however, now that its running into the story arcs they can complete Critical roll season 1 and arc at time.... my estimate is shot. I think they can easily hype each arc until the first season is done and do it within the 45 days. … I hope they do.... now every goal the hit they get to make more and backers get more episodes. If they dropped story arc goals for 3 million each for 10 arcs they might get 30 million.

So before this shift I might have been right but now... the limit is based on how much they are willing to produce. If they stop at the end of session 1 content that becomes the limiting factor. Perhaps a second Kickstarter to session 2 when they are ready, because they might not want to follow the Starcitizen path of endless promises that they might achieve but taking so long that the fan base might be thrilled to pay but then annoyed that it takes a small studio too long to make good on those promises.

I actually worry a little that if this becomes too successful it might be in their interest to convert to a cartoon entirely and play off line when rebooting at session 3. I don't know that they would do that because I think they love the stream but like rooster teeth and red vs blue at some point it becomes bigger than the lead show and the spend so much time managing the creative studio it limits their time on any one project. A weakly session + a cartoon duplicating that could become too much to maintain. They already talked about the danger of overloading Matt Mercer in the Q&A. Even if that does happen it think they would finish season 2 first, so it would be 2 year or so before the effect came full circle. But I digress I am a pessimist, which is why I guessed low on then backer funs to begin with. Its goin got be interesting to watch this play out and I hope all their dreams come true but the last one that keeps them pushing for more. lol.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Less than $100,000 to go to hit the stretch goal, all the big ticket rewards are gone but people are still joining past 41,000 backers.

Remove ads

Remove ads