Critter Bits and Magic Recipes!

Feathercircle

First Post
More critter bits

From the Ravenloft MC III: (Creatures of Darkness)

The wings of the baobbhan sith can be crushed to create dust of disappearance . Twenty-five wings can make one dose that must be used within 1d4 weeks or else it will lose its potency.

The scent glands of a feathered serpent can be used to make a rare, exotic perfume. Those who adorn themselves with this cologne effectively increase their Charisma score by one point for 24 hours or until it is washed off with water.

The flowers [of crawling ivy] are used to make healing potions , and in an emergency may be pressed to a wound to stop bleeding and reduce pain.

Not the monster itself, but the making of the monster:
Wax golems are created from fine-quality wax that must be blended with mimic ichor, obliviax dust, and doppelganger blood...

If a bloodrose can be collected while pure white, it is said to be able to ward off the attacks of certain types of undead, namely vampires.

If the shadow unicorn's horn is powdered, it cam be used by an alchemist in the creation of 2d6 applications of oil of fiery burning .

And you already took care of the Death's Head Tree.
Enjoy.

Feathercircle

First Post
Yeah, you probably have all of the books I do.. I don't have that many to begin with, but I'm still happy to contribute.

Meanwhile, here's a start from the Dark Sun MCII: Terrors Beyond Tyr. Unfortunately, a lot of the entries mention a creature being used for magic components without mentioning exactly what the monster bits are supposed to be used for. ^^;;;;

The shell fo a boneclaw can be used to make sharp knives that are popular in the kitchens of Athas. The knives can also be used as slashing weapons that give a +1 bonus to damage. The knives also give a 5% chance that victims don't notice the wound until they faint from blood loss. However, boneclaw knives used as stabbing weapons are 50% likely to shatter on impact as their structure is not designed to take the shock.

The spines of hunting cacti can be used as blowgun darts, with or without the [cacti's] nerve poison.

Dagorrans were once common on Athas, but their value as component for potions and spells, their leatherlike hide... have caused them to reach near extinction.

The front limbs of the dune reaper are often used to make swords and other bladed weapons. Its scaly plates can be used in the construction of shields and armor.

The gland responsible for the [fodorran's] horrible aroma is highly sought by preservers and defilers to create potions.

Some barbaric customs in the Ringing Mountains involve eating the eyes of recently dead kes'trekel to imbue the consumer with better vision. Such rituals are ineffective, but sometimes myth and tradition are stronger than logic.

The klar's fur, though less effective when not actually attached to the user, is AC 5, slightly better than most hide armor. Its chitinous shell is impossible to shape without magical aid, so is of little use.

The chitinous shell of the mastyrial is valued by warriors for its protective qualities and its ventilation. The shell is frequently used as material in shields and armor. The poison is also highly sought after by both defilers and assassins.

A bladed weapon honed from the carapace of a black mastyrial recieves a +1 to attack bonus and +1 to all damage inflicted.

More to come later this weekend, including the lesser drakes.

Feathercircle

First Post
As promised, the para-elemental drakes

The description for the uses of lesser drake parts is mostly on the general drake page, with individual notes on the page of each drake.

The hide of a lesser drake can bring a high price in the right market. It can also attract the attention of templars who mistake the hide for that of an elemental drake. Possession of an elemental drake's hide is punishable by death, so a seller of lesser drake hides must be careful where he sells his hide. Possession of a lesser drake hide is not a punishable offense.
Lesser drake hides make superior quality leather for armor and for luxury items, such as stuffed chairs/ Of the hide is made into armor it gives extra protection against specific attacks. Magma drake and sun drake armor give a +2 bonus to saves against fire-based attacks and reduce the damage to one-half if the save is failed, and one-fourth if the save is successful. Silt drake armor gives the same protection against any form of choking, suffocation, or dust storm. Rain drake armor slows dehydration by 50% and affords the same bonuses against dehydrating attacks as the other armors do against their special attack form.
The teeth and claws of lesser drakes can be made into edged weapons of high quality, granting a +1 to all damage they inflict. The bones of lesser drakes may be formed into bludgeoning weapons with the same +1 bonus to damage because of their solid construction.
The digestive juices of lesser drakes can be used in fine metallurgy, or wherever corrosive liquids are required, but last only 1d4+1 days after the drake dies.

The hide, teeth, and claws of a magma drake bring a high price in any market. However, obtaining these items might cost more in lives than is worth the effort.

[Rain drake's] hides, teeth, and claws are valuable commodities, but they must be kept wet, or be specially treated once the drake is dead.

The [silt] drake's stomach juices are extremely corrosive and dissolve all metals, animal products (including leather), and plant matter (including cloth) in a few days. The teeth of a silt drake are highly prized by aarakockra as badges of courage. The silt drake teeth can be used to make a sharp knife by anyone with the skill to do it.

Surprisingly, the sun drake's ecology makes no mention of the marketability of its hide, claws, or teeth at all.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
thanks for the assist!

is that the dark sun book which is the same size as the MC annuals? if so, then i am lacking both that one and the mystara one (wanted them both, but lack of funds at the time they were out...)

Feathercircle

First Post
Hmm....

Having never seen an annual, I'm not sure.... But it certainly could be the one you're missing. And coincidentally enough, my other Compendium happens to be Mystara! Strange how things work out sometimes. I'll post just a few right now and see if I can finish off the Athas compendium later today.

(The exact description of the taint is in the combat section of the entry, and would certainly be included in any 3E conversion of the beasty. In short, it turns the victim into a ravening insectiod monster...)
On rare occasions, pakubrazi blood has been used to intentionally taint an enemy by slipping it into his food. It makes a horrific form of revenge.

The pelts of white sand howlers often bring about 150 gp because of their rarity, beauty, and the protection they provide from heat.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
oh duh, i meant the 128 page books as opposed to the 3-ring binder MCs :) the four annuals were 128-pagers (well, #4 was only 96 for some reason) and were intended as supplements for the Monstrous Manual. the Monstrous Manual was intended as a replacement for the three-ring binder MCs, even though i still reference them.

Feathercircle

First Post
^^;;;;;

I've never even seen a monster manual in three-ring format... I guess that makes me kind of a newbie, then. You were right, though, my Dark Sun book is exactly 128 pages. The other two are close, at 126 each... So I guess that my other two books (ie, not the Ravenloft one) do just coincidentally happen to be the ones you lack. Wow.

More Athasian goodness:

Alchemists have noted the pseudopsionic nature of slig telepathy and seek specimens with which to experiment. It is believed that slig blood or marrow is actually a stimulant to psionic activity, but these are just old wives tales... Some in Raam and Balic have offered as much as 20 cp for a live slig.

The poison [of dark spiders] is highly prized by assassins.

Ssurran eggs are inedible, as is their flesh, but their skin is sometimes worked as scale armor (AC 6) that is resistant to heat.

Though the flesh cannot be eaten, the hide of the [moonbeast/stalking horror] makes excellent armor and shields. If properly treated, the hide can make leather armor with an effective AC 5. It also gives its wearer a +1 bonus on saving throws for all spells of 1st and 2nd level.

[The tari's] disease-causing venom is produced by two glands set ddeep in the jaw.... Retrieving the glands from a fallen tari is a difficult and dangerous task, but the deadly properties of their contents makes them valuable to the alchemists and bards of the cities.

Thri-kreen chitin can also be used for armor by humanoids if care is taken.
(I watched Nausicaa last night and this is now strongly reminding me of the people forging armor and swords out of shed Ohmu chitin.... ^^;;;;)

While in larval form, xerichous are considered a delicacy by the thri-kreen. Also the secretions made while cocooned are highly sought for their astral properties for use in potions and research.

And that just about finishes my Dark Sun Monstrous Compendium except for a rather lengthy bit about silt spawn. The MC not only mentions that they can be used a spells, but actually gives a new spell itself.. and I figure if I'm posting the one, I should post the other as well...

And that's all I can do for now... Tonight is D&D night, so I need to go prep before my players start showing up. Thank you for starting this thread!

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Feathercircle said:
I've never even seen a monster manual in three-ring format... I guess that makes me kind of a newbie, then.

relatively speaking, perhaps... but then so would i be. ;) the ones i speak of were made in the early 90s (roughly 89-92) when i first started playing. there are people who had over 10 years of experience on the game when i started playing. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ok, now going through the Monstrous Compendiums 1-14 (yeah, the three ring binder ones). volumes 1 and 2 were wholly reprinted in the Monstrous Manual, though numerous entries were abbreviated and some information left out. thus, leading to this post. ;)

Monstrous Compendium Vol 1:

Dragonfish poison is highly toxic and a full-grown dragonfish can yield enough to kill a large number of creatures. It is natural that creatures who frequently use poison will have a standard method for capturing dragonfish. Also, dragonfish spines make excellent darts, as they are extremely strong and very sharp. (The spines also grow back on the fish, so harvesting them is possible.) The dragonfish skin is not wasted either, as it makes excellent material for scale armor. Using any part of the dragonfish is potentially deadly unless the poison sacks and spines are carefully removed first.

[korred] hair is a key ingredient for ropes of entanglement and nets of snaring. The fermented fruit beverages which the korred consume can also be used as a component for love philters and potions of human control.

If the skunk is surprised and killed quickly, there is a 50% chance that the musk will be recoverable. A giant skunk killed in this way can be a prize worth close to 200 gp to a sage or alchemist, as the musk is a valued alchemical component (for stinking cloud scroll ink, smoke bombs,etc.).

Monstrous Compendium Vol 2:

Alchemists have tried to devise a means of extracting the juices from rot grubs in hopes of coming up with a workable anesthetic. Thus far all attempts have been unsuccessful. There are rumors that rot grubs are used as material components in certain harm-causing spells, usually the reverse versions of healing and restorative spells.

Some individuals kill sandlings and use the bodies as ingredients in mortar. Their bodies are rumored to have truly remarkable adhesive abilities.

Monstrous Compendium Vol 3 (Forgotten Realms I):

The body is a destroyed dracolich crumbles into a foul-smelling powder within a few hours; this powder can be used by knowledgeable wizards as a component for creating potions of undead control and similar magical substances.

If [a rhaumbusun’s] eyes are removed intact and preserved from decay, they are worth up to 200 gp each to alchemists or wizards. Rhaumbusun eyes are used in the preparation of magical inks and potions related to paralyzation.

The thylacine’s coat is valued for its use in making camouflage cloaks. It is worth 1d3gp. The brain is a component the magical inks used to write mind blank spells. It is worth 25-50 gp on the open market.

Monstrous Compendium Vol 4 (Dragonlance):

The back plates of the horax can be fashioned into a light-weight and durable armor (AC 4) by armorers experienced at handling the stuff. The Glass Sailors of Taladas are among the best in the world at this art.

Shimmerweed seedpods are often used by wizards who are crafting magical palantirs such as crystal balls or crystal hypnosis balls. The petals of the flower, when ground into a fine sand, are used in the creation of inks and other materials that relate to light or hypnosis (such as a gem of brightness.)

The shell [of a skrit] can also be fashioned into an excellent armor by those skilled in handling the peculiar material. Skilled craftsmen use the carapace to fashion breastplates and other solid pieces of armor. A suit fashioned from this material has AC 4.

A powerful hunter in its own right, the wyndlass has few (if any) natural enemies. On occasion, it may be sought out and destroyed by teams of adventurers, however, because of the oil that it secretes. As a lubricant, wyndlass oil is second to none. While this alone might be enough to bring a few hunters out after the wyndlass, it is the creature’s use to alchemists and wizards that most often spawns a hunting party. Wyndlass oil is one of the most common, and important, ingredients in oil of slipperiness, and it is often sought for this purpose.

Monstrous Compendium Vol 5 (Greyhawk):

The acid that is secreted by the [aspis] cow is highly prized by alchemists. In addition to its obvious uses as a corrosive agent, it is important in the preparation of magical inks and potions that relate to acids and corrosion.

The wings of the death watch beetle are highly valuable to skilled armorers, who can fashion them into highly effective shields. If an expert armorer is provided with both of a death watch beetle’s wings, he can manufacture the equivalent of a body shield +1 (although it is not actually enchanted).

Although it is not a commonly used component, a lock of booka hair, freely given by the booka, has been known to be employed in the creation of magical inks for scrolls that deal with invisibility of the detection thereof.

Buckawn poisons are very valuable because of their great potency. While these are hard to come by, they are worth twice as much as normal poisons.

It is rumored that the powdered marrow from a crypt thing’s bones can be used to create a potion of undead control. In addition, anyone who employs the bones of a crypt thing to manufacture a set of pipes of haunting is 80% likely to create a magical item that imposes a –2 penalty to its victims’ saving throws and has double normal effectiveness if the saving throws fail.

It is believed that the mysterious timeglass of the mage was crafted with ground crystalmists. While this has never been confirmed, it may indeed be true as the unique physiology of the crystalmist makes it very valuable to those who have an interest in arcane devices.
Other uses for crystalmist include the creation of high quality smoke powder and dust of illusion. It is also rumored that the priceless oracles of Greyhawk are fashioned from crystalmist colonies captured and trapped forever by powerful magic.

The bodies of the horgar provides nothing of value, except to wizards – some parts of it are used for spells involving earth, stone, digging, and molten heat.

Snail, flail (covered above already, I know, but this is a little bit different so here ya go):
A single shell weighs 250 to 300 pounds and retains its magical powers for 1d6 months after the occupant’s death. A skilled armorer can try to fashion 1-2 +2 shields from a single shell. These shields affect spells as did the original shell until their magic fades (1d6 months). After the magic fades, the shields become nonmagical +2 shields. In addition, freshly ground snail shell is needed to create a robe of scintillating colors. One robe may be made from a single shell. Shells sell for 5,000 gold pieces on the open market.

Taer fear humans because the creatures are sometimes hunted for their glands that secrete the oily substance in their fur. These are worth 500 gold pieces on the open market and can be used to fashion a protection from cold potion.

The poison glands of a tentamort sell for 10d4 gold pieces. From a single tentamort a skilled alchemist can make 1d3 doses of a deadly, tasteless, odorless poison. When consumed, this poison causes a slow disintegration of the victim’s internal organs. The victim loses 1 hit point the first day, 2 the second, and so on. Victims cannot be healed (even magically) until a neutralize poison is cast on them. Untreated victims eventually die from massive internal bleeding. This poison is favored by assassins, especially those who like to be miles away when their victim dies.

Monstrous Compendium Vol 6 (Kara-Tur):

A bisan is sustained by sunlight and shares the nutrients of her personal tree. She can use the bark of her tree as a component in potions of healing.

All spirit centipedes can eat most inorganic objects, but they have a special taste for minerals. When freely given, and kept in an earthenware jar inside a building, a scale from a greater spirit centipede has the same properties as a charm of protection from disease.

If the tears of a chu-u are collected in an opaque flask, they may be used as oil of etherealness.

The dust of a crumbled fruit from a con-tinh’s tree can be used as a component for a potion of longevity.

[Duruch’i-lin]: A ch’i-lin seldom walks on the ground, fearing she will accidentally trample an innocent insect or damage the vegetation. She eats only minerals and drinks only from the purest of streams. Her horn, when ground into a powder, can be used as an antidote for any poison. The coat of a ch’i-lin retains the properties of deflection even after the creature’s death, and is highly prized as material for protective clothing.

If a lesser flame spirit reduces any scrap of parchment to ashes, the ashes can serve as a component for noisome spirit chasers.
If a least flame spirit reduces any scrap of pure silk to ashes, the ashes can be a component of a charm of protection from fire.

Reptilian gargantua have two properties useful to humans:
• The petal of any flower that grows in the footprint of a reptilian gargantua can serve as a component for a potion of growth. Such a flower must grow naturally in the footprint; it cannot have been planted there by a human or other intelligent being.
• As noted above, thunderstorms occur when a reptilian gargantua is born. If a dead creature of any kind is struck by a lightning bolt from such a storm, the bolt acts as resurrection spell.

The silk of insectoid gargantua larvae can be woven into cloth from which magical robes are created.

The ichor of the jishin mushi is greatly prized by incense makers, fetching as much as 2 tael for a flask.

A kaluk’s arm or leg bone can serve as a club +2. If any tree branch is rubbed in the powdered tusk of a kaluk, it will function as a divining rod as per the spell for the next 1-4 days.

The dust of a small stone spirit’s statue serves as a component for long-lasting cosmetics used by the concubines of royalty.
The dust of a medium stone spirit’s statue serves as a base for a toothpowder that permanently prevents toothaches.
The dust of a large stone spirit’s statue can serve as a component for a potion of invulnerability.

Monstrous Compendium Vol 7 (Spelljammer I):

The bodies of aartuk, either dead or alive, provide no useful components for magic, though the slime on their tongues makes an effective glue when boiled to the appropriate concentration. The tongues may be hung and left to dry for several weeks, which produces an average quality rope. When properly fermented, the sap of elders makes a beverage greatly desired by beholders. An elder provides enough sap to brew a small keg of aartukia. A shewd merchant could get several thousand gold pieces for the sale of a single keg.

The glue that the [jammer leeches] secrete to hold their shells to a hull is extremely strong and highly prized. The gooey purple substance is waterproof, fireproof, and even slightly magic resistant (5%). The dangers involved in collecting live leeches and maintaining them limits this market, however, and the glue is rare and very expensive.

The liver of rogue moons makes an excellent component for reverse gravity potions. The glands producing their venom can be used as an ingredient in various soporific drugs. (These glands are located at the base of the spikes, under the scales.)

The skin of a murderoid can be used as spell components for stone shape and hallucinatory terrain spells.

... if a sufficiently large piece of the outer stomach wall of a nay-churr can be salvaged after an explosion, it can be formed into a breastplate that retains its Armor Class of -2.

In some crystal spheres, captured phlog-crawlers (a very rare thing indeed) are used to make powerful potions of longevity.

The hides of the q'nidar make effective components of heat- and light-based spells. When heated, the scales are quite effective for extra lighting.

The exoskeleton of a zodar would make incredible armor. However, when enough damage is inflicted to kill a zodar, all that is left of its exoskeleton is a bunch of fragments.

Monstrous Compendium Vol 8 (Outer Planes):

Hamatula are doubly unique among the baatezu because only they produce any sort of useful by-product amongst the inhabitants of the Nine Hells. The creatures have a gland behind their ears that produces a powerful hallucinogen. It is "harvested" by greater baatezu and used to aid the torment and interrogation of prisoners. A few brave (or wealthy) sages have obtained samples of this secretion. Though not enough of it has been obtained to perform any meaningful experiments, it is believed that greater quantities of this secretion could produce an extremely potent potion of illusion.

Anyone bold enough and of sufficient power to kill a bebilith and remove its spinneret would hold great wealth. Mages would pay highly to get their hands on one. Powerful spells and magical items of binding can be created from a bebilith’s spinner, or so alchemists believe.

Chasme wings have been used in brews to create potions of flying.

Monstrous Compendium Vol 9 (Spelljammer II):

(not done yet...)

Monstrous Compendium Vol 10 (Ravenloft I):

The dream essences of the bastellus, while hard to obtain, are of almost incalculable value to necromancers and illusionists in the crafting of magical items. It is said that an illusionist who uses even the tiniest fraction of such a creature's substance as a material component in the creation of an illusion will find that the images created are drastically more vivid than they might otherwise be - making it almost impossible for victims to convince themselves that such images are not real.

The body of a sentinel bat has been used with great success in the creation of devices and potions intended to convey power over the undead.
The bones of skeletal bats can be used in the creation of bone golems (described elsewhere in this book).

As an unnatural creature, the bussengeist has no real place in the ecology of the world it has left behind. The same is not true, however, of the course of history. There are many scholars who can point out great battles which, they claim, can only have been decided by the influence of these tragic souls.
The essence of these creatures, if captured in some way, can be a powerful magical component. It is rumored that many cursed magical weapons are forged in fires fanned by the breath of a bussengeist and that their powers are harnessed in the creation of drums of panic or a harp of discord.

The creation of a doom guard is an interesting process, for it runs contrary to the idea of an "enchanted suit of armor." The reason for this is simply that the suit of armor is never actually subjected to a spell cast directly upon it. Rather, the doom guard is fashioned using an enchanted anvil of darkness, and it is this device that gives the creature its magical aura.
The first step in the creation of an anvil of darkness is the building of the anvil itself. The raw materials used in the creation of this object must be attained from the body of a slain iron golem. When the anvil is cast, it must have either a scarab versus golems (of any type) or a pristine, unread Manual of Golems set at its heart. Before the hot metal of the anvil cools, it must be enchanted by a powerful wizard. The first step in this enchantment is the weaving of an enchant an item spell over the anvil to make it ready for further wizardry. A fabricate spell is cast next, in order to the give the anvil the creative essence that will be so important to it in later years. Subsequently, a binding spell is employed to capture the last essences of the spirit that once animated the anvil in its iron golem form. Finally, a permanency spell is used to bind these magics into a single, cohesive enchantment that will enable the anvil to carry out its function.
Once the anvil of darkness is created, it can be used by a skilled armorer to create one doom guard every 20 weeks. Once work on a specific doom guard is begun, the armorer must work at least 8 hours out of 24 on his creation. Work cannot be halted or delayed for any reason or the enchanting process fails. The raw materials must be discarded and the work begun anew. The anvil is unaffected by this failure.

The sap from a doppleganger plant’s vines as well as the flesh from the inside of its pods have both proven to be useful in the creation of magical potions and devices that influence the minds of others in some way. In many cases, the latter material results in the creation of magical powers twice as great as those found in devices crafted with other materials. Thus, a potion of human control created with the heart of a doppleganger pod allows the imbiber to control a total of no fewer than 64 levels or Hit Dice worth of humans or demihumans.

Goblyns are often sought after by certain wizards and priests, for they are useful as components in spells and magical items that control humans.

The sap of an evil treant, when smeared over the entire body, is reported to provide humans and demihumans with protection equivalent to that granted by a barkskin spell.

Monstrous Compendium Vol 11 (Forgotten Realms II):

Ecology: A beguiler always sees with true sight. It clearly sees invisible creatures and objects. It also ignores illusions and their intended effects. Displaced objects or foes, like the displacer beast, can be seen where they truly are. Even ethereal creatures close to the Prime Material Plane can be observed and attacked with ease. Not only can the creature change the hue of its fur to match the coloration of its surroundings for 1-4 turns, but even unnatural colorations, like plaid, can be easily mimicked by the beguiler. It can remain absolutely motionless during that time, hiding in shadows with 80% success.
Some spell casters are rumored to have maintained or recreated this ability in the cured pelt of the beguiler. Many alchemists pay large sums of money for the remains of the beguiler, usually a gold piece value equal to the Experience Value of the creature. The eyes and frontal lobes of the brain are alternative material components used in the true sight, detect invisibility, locate object, and the vision spells.
Many cultures near the Shaar capture beguiler young soon after the babies are weaned. They make excellent pets that warn their owners of trespassers. Several mages of Thar have further increased the creature’s value by acquiring the beguiler as a familiar. These mages have exhibited beguiler-like qualities, detecting hidden objects and hiding in shadows.
* Cap of the Beguiler
Cost: 2,000 gold pieces
XP Value: 25,000
The cap of the beguiler gives the wearer the ability to see as though using a true sight spell. Invisible creatures and objects are clearly seen, and illusions do not have their intended effect. Displaced foes can be seen where they truly are. Only one such cap can be made from a single beguiler pelt.
If the cap gets wet, the properties it exhibits are nullified until it is completely dry. Each time the cap gets wet, there is a 10% chance it molds, causing the properties to dissipate forever.
* Cloak of the Beguiler
Cost: 3,000 gold pieces
XP Value: 17,500
The cloak of the beguiler changes its hue and the hue of its wearer to match the coloration of the wearer’s surroundings up to three times a day for 1-4 turns each time. The wearer can remain absolutely motionless during that time if he chooses, hiding in shadows with 70% success. Ethereal creatures close to the Prime Material Plane can be observed and attacked with ease.
If the cloak gets wet, the properties it exhibits are nullified until it is completely dry. Each time the cloak gets wet, there is a 10% chance it molds, causing the properties to dissipate forever. The cloak requires 12 animal pelts to construct for the average human.

The fachan’s legendary leaping ability and dexterity can be magically rejuvenated from its footpad. Properly treated and enchanted, the footpads of two fachan can be made into boots of striding and springing. The hearing organs of a fachan can be instrumental in creating potions of clairaudience.

Haundars indeed provide a very large, single source of meat that can feed an entire sha’az hive for weeks. Its blubber is used for oils. Its eyestalks are in demand for potions of infravision, and its lower pseudopods can be used as a potent ingredient in potions of levitation. The armor can be broken into smaller pieces and re-used as plate armor elements. A complete suit of armor made of this material weighs half its equivalent metal armor for the same protection, and is acid resistant. It also costs twice as much to build. Some northern knight orders may be willing to pay dearly for haundar shell pieces.

Dark nagas are quick to plunder fallen foe, swallowing items, scrolls, and spellbooks to spit forth later - for all dark nagas have a bag-like internal organ that they can use to carry things. This organ has thick, rubbery air-sac walls to protect the naga against sharp points and the like, but it also protects the cargo against digestive juices, and has the unusual side effect of shielding magic from all detection spells.

(it may be possible to steal and use retch plant fruits, if one could find a away to collect them without causing them to drop): The retch plant, or globe palm, appears to be a typical palm tree, except that each constantly has 1d4 +4 globe-like, coconut-sized fruit growing at its top. Each globe is membranous, taut, and blue, violet, or lilac in color.
Walking under a retch plant makes it 20% likely that one of its globes falls. If there is solid contact with a tree trunk-such as banging against, running into, or climbing itó1d4 + 1 of the noisome fruit plop down. Randomly choose the character(s) attacked; he is AC 10 against this attack. When the globes strike, they burst, and a nauseating fluid is splashed over a five-foot radius. Those who are between five and nine feet have a 25% chance of being splashed. The sticky, foul fluid causes creatures splashed to vomit and retch for the next three rounds. In addition to being nauseated, for six turns thereafter victims are at 50% of normal Strength. No saving throw is allowed against either effect of the fluid.
Creatures splashed must be washed in alcohol (wine, beer, brandy, etc.) or they are much more likely to attract carnivores in the area. This has the effect of doubling the normal frequency of encounter checks, as well as doubling the probabilities of actual encounters. The odor is discernible within a 50-foot radius and it persists for 1d4 hours unless removed as above.

The slime of a dead skuz can be used as components in water-based spells, usually doubling the durations of those spells because of the skuz’s magical and powerful nature.

When a tempest is killed, a silver residue rains down from their form. If carefully gathered, this residue provides a mass of silver equivalent to 3-18 silver pieces. Though valuable as a precious metal, the silver may also be used as a component in making wands of lightning or as components in weather-related spells. Bits of the silver are also useful for making other weather or elemental related magical items.

Monstrous Compendium Vol 12 (Dark Sun I):

The sinewy cord the cha'thrang uses to tether its prey is highly sought after to make rope. A single, dry strand will easily hold 50 pounds of weight. By braiding several cords, a thin but very strong rope can be crafted. Discarded strands vary in length from 20-50 (1d4 + 1 × 10) yards each. Some desert traders will move between two or more separate trines of cha'thrang, collecting the spent cord.

The hide [of an Athasian drake] makes excellent armor. Once crafted into leather armor it attains the leather armor defense value minus the drake's original negative armor class score (i.e., leather is AC 8; if made from the hide of an air drake whose AC was -2, then the air drake leather armor would have a defense value of Armor Class 6 (8 -2 = 6)). The teeth and claws make excellent weapons; although not magical, they are considered +2 because of the bone's strength and sharpness. The blood of the beast is also valuable as it is used in certain alchemical solutions.

The flakes of [fire drake] hide are valuable spell components for fire-based magic. The unusual pebble hide of the fire drake is shed once every three years or after being damaged, and new scales begin to grow underneath.
The hide of the fire drake is the most highly prized of all the drakes as it tends to make the wearer immune to some of the sun's devastating effects. Anyone protected by a fire drake hide (either wearing it or riding in a vehicle covered by it) needs only half the amount of water a day, depending on their activity. Although nonmagical, fire drake hide adds +2 to fire-related saving throws for the wearer. Fire drake hide will not burn if exposed to nonmagical flames. The heat ray from burnflowers can't penetrate the protection of a fire drake hide.

Natives of Athas have discovered that, when eaten, the roots of esperweed can boost psionic powers to very high levels. This boost is fairly short-lived, lasting for only 1 turn.
When the esperweed root is eaten, psionicists (single and multi-/dual-classed) have their psionic powers boosted the equivalent of 5 experience levels. The player should calculate the number of additional psionic strength points the character gains and determine which new sciences and devotions are gained (roll on the Wild Talent Tables on pages 20 and 21 of the Complete Psionics Handbook.) The character does not gain any additional disciplines. Eating esperweed also gives a psionicist character more control of his powers. All power scores are increased by +3 for the same duration as the psionic power boost (1 turn).
Wild talents who eat esperweed also gain a boost in their psionic power. Their power score is increased by +2, and the character receives an additional 20 psionic strength points.
Repeated Use of Esperweed
While esperweed is very useful to psionic creatures and characters, repeated use can also be detrimental. Creatures can eat esperweed and enjoy its psionic boosting capabilities a number of times equal to their Hit Dice (or current experience level) without any ill effects. For each use beyond that, however, the creature's or character's psionic ability rapidly fades. Each excess use reduces the creature's psionic ability by the equivalent of two experience levels. This reduction is permanent, but each reduction can be reversed by use of a restoration spell. Once a creature's psionic ability is reduced to 0 level, the creature permanently loses its psionics.
It should be noted, however, that esperweed only retains its psionic boosting properties for a limited time. A root will retain its effectiveness for one week after being picked, after which time its potency fades quickly into nothingness.

Floaters are the favorite prey of razorwings, who make their home beneath the Sea of Silt. Floaters boast no usable byproducts, though many researchers have tried to make use of the gas-producing glands of this creature as a source of flammable gas. None have had success.

Being magical mutations of normal Athasian giants, beasthead giants are a good source of spell components for both wizards and priests. The blood of a beasthead can be used in many different types of spells, but only those of preservers or druids. Also, beasthead giants provide unique spell components depending upon the type of beast head. For example, the feathers of an eagle head can be used in feather fall and other flight-oriented spells.

Dust from the withered eyeballs of dead hej-kin is usable by earth-worshipping priests as material components for many earthen spells.

Dried id fiend blood is used in the creation of a potion concocted by psionic researchers; the potion allegedly increases the imbiber™s psionic abilities for brief periods of time.

Kank exoskeleton can be used as armor when cleaned, but is very brittle and has a 20% chance of breaking whenever hit by a weapon. A much more common use of kank exoskeleton is in the construction of chitin golems, automatons created by powerful defiler wizards.

The claws of a megapede can be used as arrow/quarrel heads of a very effective nature. Arrows and quarrels tipped with megapede claws add +1 to damage rolls (note that this does not imply that these weapons are magical in any way). Also, the poison sacs of a megapede can be removed from the creature and saved. The poison (Class B) within remains potent for about one month, after which time it dries up and becomes worthless.

the horns of a nightmare beast can be ground and mixed with water to create a paste. When consumed, the paste produces an effect similar to esperweed, though much less powerful. The paste grants the consumer 30 additional PSPs and two wild talents. Its effect lasts for 5 rounds.

The rasclinn is avidly hunted for its hide. A person skilled in armor making and tanning can make a set of hide armor from two adult rasclinn skins. This armor gives AC 4 (normal hide armor is AC 6), although it does weigh about 20 pounds.
It is even possible to smelt out actual iron from the hide, but the forge required is only possessed by a few of the more powerful merchant houses. Should access to such a forge be gained, up to 5 coins weight of iron (worth 50 cp) can be smelted from a single hide.

It is said that [Athasian] roc feathers are a vital ingredient in the manufacture of wings and brooms of flying. Using roc feathers in a fly spell will add 1d20 rounds to the duration of the spell. Not as well known is the fact that if a mage is scribing a fly spell on a scroll, using a perfect roc feather will allow him to double the number of spells that may be scribed with the same amount of ink. (A roc slain in combat usually has no more than 1d20 perfect feathers left, for they must be undamaged and perfectly clean to serve this purpose.)

Monstrous Compendium Vol 13 (Al-Qadim):

The feathers of a buraq’s tail are valuable in the creation of scrolls, especially scrolls of protection and clerical scrolls dealing with curative and protective magics. A buraq may occasionally visit a renowned or particularly pious congregation of the faithful or the hovel of a mystic and leave a single feather behind as a sign of the gods’ favor. Combined with inks made from precious stones and gold dust, this feather may be used to inscribe either a single scroll of protection or a scroll of up to 14 spell levels in any combination (two 7th-level spells, two 5th-level and one 4th-level, and so on).

The hair of [a debbi] may be made into a talisman and enchanted to cause others to fear the wielder as per a fear spell once per day. For this reason they are often hunted by desert shamans and even wizards from the great metropolises. The unblemished hide of a debbi can fetch up to 200 gp in the marketplace.

The heway is occasionally hunted by unscrupulous tribes which use it to poison the waterholes of their enemies. Since its stare makes it dangerous even when caged, dead snakes are usually used for this purpose. In this case, the poison is at half strength and saves are made at twice the usual bonus (+4).

There are many useful derivatives that can be made from a mason wasp. Since killing a giant mason wasp can bring bad luck, most people wait until one of the insects dies from natural causes before using their remains in a potion. Their fire glands can be used to make potions of fire breath, while their exoskeleton, if powdered, can be used to make either potions of fire resistance or oil of fire elemental invulnerability. Insinuative poison can be obtained from their poison sacks, which are located in the abdomen near the stinger. This poison (Type O) loses its potency if not used within a week; it can also be used to make powerful poison antidotes.

A pahari’s kiss can bestow water breathing on the lucky recipient for a day.

The pelt of a sabu lord is rumored to avert evil spirits and curses, in particular the evil eye. In fact, if the hair from a sabu lordís mane is woven into a braid, it will protect the owner with the effects of a continual avert evil eye spell for 60 days.

A few magical items related to flight can be enchanted using a sakina’s whisper as a prime component. In addition, their essence can be used to concoct a potion of flying.

A wide variety of powerful potions can be made from the brain of a serpent lord. The right half of the brain is extremely toxic and can be used to make poisons. The left half of the brain is nourishing and life-giving. It is a prime ingredient in elixirs of life and potions of longevity.

Few useful by-products can be obtained from a winged serpent. Their poison decomposes almost immediately after exposure to air, and their hide is too thin and fragile to serve as good leather. Their wings, however, if powdered and mixed with ink, can be used to inscribe a protection from lightning scroll.

The golden tail feather of a simurgh, if freely given, is strongly magical. Described by some as “a piece of the sun,” it radiates continual light and will hypnotize any and all creatures within a 50’ radius (including the owner, if he is not careful; all creatures viewing the feather get a +3 bonus on their saving throws vs. spell). A simurgh’s tail feather is needed to concoct a potion of rainbow hues and to enchant a robe of scintillating colors. It can also be used to inscribe color spray, hypnotic pattern, rainbow pattern, prismatic spray, prismatic wall, and prismatic sphere scrolls.

The hide of a zin is highly prized by all rogues. Zin-hide sandals will increase a rogue’s chances of climbing walls and moving silently by 10%. Of course, openly wearing such sandals will earn a rogue the immediate enmity of most zin encountered thereafter (-10 on reaction rolls), who might decide they want a pair of sandals made from the rogue’s skin.

Monstrous Compendium Vol 14 (Fiend Folio)

Algoids cannot survive for more than a few days without natural light. As they suffer from light deprivation, their color changes from green to dark green to almost black. Dead algoids are completely black. This death is similar to the starvation of a mammal, and no creature of good alignment should do this to an algoid.
Priests and alchemists value the black algoids, as they can be powdered and used in the manufacture of salves and as an ingredient in the reduction of gold ore. Algoids killed in combat, and then left in darkness, do not turn black, but simply rot away in the same fashion as other vegetation.

The bodies of al-mi’raj are very useful: their fur is soft and warm, their meat is tasty, and their horns are useful in cures for poison.

The claws of a caterwaul may be used in the creation of a sword of sharpness.

Primitive swamp tribes, especially lizard men, often make use of [darters]. Once a darter is killed, it is fairly easy to remove the 1-6 darts in its snout. The darts are about two inches long, and are straight enough to be used in blowguns, or as tips for longer darts. The poison sacs are also easy to remove, and if carefully handled, will produce enough of the paralytic poison for 6-36 darts. The poison gradually becomes ineffective after exposure to the air. Victims’ saving throws are made at +1 per day of the poison’s exposure to the air. The poison becomes completely ineffective after a week of exposure.

Denzelian body parts may be worth a great deal to an alchemist, particularly if any of the acid-secreting glands are still intact. The body is composed of a very rich mix of minerals, and includes deposits of almost pure carbon, sulfur, magnesium, and more. Some of these deposits are formed into gemstones, and it is not unusual to find perfectly round diamonds inside the body of a denzelian.

Gem Dragon Hide: The hide of neutral dragons is prized by armorers with the skill to turn it into shields and armor. Their scales, however, are different from those of other dragons, having faceted surfaces which reflect light. They tend to be slightly more brittle than those of other dragons, so armor made from them requires repair more often. The scales of gem dragons actually take on the properties of real gems, because of the dragons’ diet, and can be valuable to collectors. In addition, the scales of gem dragons are reputed to have magical properties, or at least to lend themselves to certain kinds of enchantments.

[Fireflies] are prized for use in many fire-based potions.

Some wizards have prepared potions of fire breath from the pyrophoric gas contained inside the gorbel’s body. The eyes may be useful as components for wizard eye spells or similar magical effects, while the rubbery hide is said to allow the construction of a curious lighter-than-air craft. To obtain the hide intact for such purposes, it is necessary to kill the gorbel in such a way the body sac is not ruptured, thus preventing the pyrophoric gas from exploding.

The khargra’s fins have been used by expert dwarven smiths in the construction of fine magical weapons. Because of the iron and platinum alloy from which such weapons are constructed, they hold their edge longer than common metals. Body scales have been used in the construction of scale armor. Khargra teeth might be made into exceptional arrowheads or spear points.

The slimy tail of the pennanggalan’s head is useful in creating various types of potions of undead control, as well as amulets of turning.

Alchemists and wizards use pernicons in their formulae for creating decanters of endless water, or in experimental water divination spells or items.

Besides being the whipping boys of the Elemental Plane of Fire, phantom stalkers are prized for the liquid fire that flows through their bodies. If this essence can be captured, it can be used to create Flame Tongue swords.

The dusty remains of a shocker are preferred material in the making of a wand of lightning.

If a stwinger’s charm glands can be milked either while it is alive, or within one hour of its death, the fluid can be used in the creation of a philter of love.

It has been reported that the distilled essence of a symbiotic jelly may be useful in certain magical applications, including potions which emulate this creature’s symbiotic lifestyle.

It is rumored that the blood of a thunder child is a useful ingredient in some recipes for potions of gaseous form and potions of weather control (as per the 7th-level priest spell, although this potion is believed to still be only a theoretical possibility).

Ice troll blood is frequently used in the manufacture of frost brand swords, and rings of cold resistance.

If the electrical organ is properly harvested from a dead volt, it can be useful in the creation of a wand of lightning.

The fluid within the [zygraat’s] abdomen is prized, for if used in casting a web spell, all those caught inside the web’s area of effect must save at –3 when trying to escape. Each full abdomen provides a wizard with sufficient material for three such uses.
The zygraat’s webs can also be fashioned into a robe that affords excellent protection against attack, granting an armor class bonus of three points. Each full web can be made into a single man-sized garment.

Last edited:

Remove ads