• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Crossbow confusion

Xodis

First Post
Damn Hollywood has everyone thinking that weapons must be fired at the same time, whats wrong with aiming a shot and firing then aiming the second weapon and firing right after? Its not the full aim like a Sniper uses, its a quick aim that gunfighters use.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
just FYI, but the rules could be interpreted as requiring a full action to both put away a crossbow and draw a sword.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
just FYI, but the rules could be interpreted as requiring a full action to both put away a crossbow and draw a sword.

Considering that interacting with two objects generally costs your action, I should think it would be interpreted that way. That said, I'd probably always consider simply dropping something (rather than putting it away) would always be a freebie too.

Bugleyman

First Post
Maybe it's just a question being able to conceal it and fire it one-handed?

Though put me in the "I hope there is a mechanical difference which we're just not seeing yet" camp.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Another possibility, in addition to the two above in post 3:

Two possibilities:

1. today's L&L included mention of a crossbow feat that will apply (I expect) to hand crossbows.
2. I fully expect the Drow sub race to be granted weapon proficiency in hand crossbows, which means that it an become a weapon for drow clerics, wizards, rogues, etc. without needing additional character investment.

is

3. hand crossbow can be used alongside a shield and still reloaded. +2 AC for (avg.) -1 damage is a good trade.

AmPm

First Post
Wouldn't the big advantage be in it being easier to hide....

A light crossbow is by no means small. It's just not as big as a heavy crossbow.

Think about it like the difference between trying to sneak in an assault rifle vs a pistol.

How this even became a question to be asked I have no idea, it's like people think that if there is no hard mechanical combat advantage that there is no reason to have a thing...

Stalker0

Legend
As the OP mentioned, the hand crossbow is one handed.

That's enough for me. Now would most rogues use the regular crossbow? Sure.

Are there rogues that would like to use a crossbow but still have a free hand for doing other stuff? Absolutely.

Depending on how you interpret weapon swapping, it might be beneficial to have a crossbow in one hand and melee weapon in the other so you can switch between them, even if you can't use both in one round.

Also, I know people don't like us mentioning it, but in the alpha phb the feat allows hand crossbows to use the two weapon fighting rules, among other things. It's not final, so who knows.

bolo__

First Post
That said, I'd probably always consider simply dropping something (rather than putting it away) would always be a freebie too.
And then couple that with the old "hand crossbow on a cord" that was prominent in the Salvatore novels so you can drop the crossbow and still have it handy for later.

bolo__

First Post
How this even became a question to be asked I have no idea, it's like people think that if there is no hard mechanical combat advantage that there is no reason to have a thing...
Wouldn't that be because in previous/other systems it's been possible to use one hand crossbow in each hand and fire & reload each every turn?

Sure, there are other reasons for hand crossbows (not the least of them in my mind being pure role-play / character design considerations), but that doesn't mean people won't talk about the fact a mechanic they are used to is not possible in the (currently released, basic rules of the) new system.

Remove ads