'Cure Wounds' is D&D's Most Popular Spell

It's been a while since I've posted a data update from D&D Beyond (we've already seen the most common adventures, classes by tier, and subclasses, and more). This time it's the turn of spells, as the D&D Beyond developers reveal the post popular spells both overall and broken down by class.

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 09.30.02.png

The most popular spell is cure wounds. These spells are either picked as a known spell or is explicitly prepared from all spellcasters. Most skew to lower levels because most D&D games are played at lower levels.

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 09.33.03.png

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 09.33.57.png

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 09.34.16.png

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 09.35.27.png

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 09.36.03.png

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 09.37.12.png

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 09.38.41.png

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 09.39.41.png

Screenshot 2019-04-12 at 09.40.20.png

tmanbeaubien

Explorer
Do players just not realize how absurdly strong Hypnotic Pattern is for a third level spell? 30 Foot Cube that incapacitates everything not immune to charm?

I once used that spell on three gargoyles which were flying after my party (we were on an airship). Flight + Incapacitated => tremendous falling damage!

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Do players just not realize how absurdly strong Hypnotic Pattern is for a third level spell? 30 Foot Cube that incapacitates everything not immune to charm?

The vast majority of spells that make the top 10 are first level. Probably because there are a significant number of low level characters that simply don't have the higher level spells. It would be interested in seeing further breakdown for each spell level for each class.

I think so - I know there've been a number of scored D&D AL events where we were told that if we used Hypnotic Pattern, we would have points deducted from our score.

I totally understand Cure Wounds. If I'm playing a class with it on their spell list, I'm always going to go into an adventure with that on deck. Even if I'm not a dedicated healer, just a 1st level slot is enough to keep another PC from dying.

Dausuul

Legend
The vast majority of spells that make the top 10 are first level. Probably because there are a significant number of low level characters that simply don't have the higher level spells. It would be interested in seeing further breakdown for each spell level for each class.

Precisely. If every wizard takes both hypnotic pattern and shield, then shield will be more popular than hypnotic pattern simply because of all the wizards at levels 1-4 who can't get hypnotic pattern.

Of course, this is not mutually exclusive with "players do not realize the power of hypnotic pattern," which I suspect is also true. Casual players generally overlook the awesome potency of action denial. (And even players who do understand the action economy may slide past hypnotic pattern simply out of habit from previous editions.)

castlewise

First Post
I wonder if the charts are taking into account the fact that almost all tieflings get the Hellish Rebuke spell as part of its racial features? If spells that are given out "for free" like that as part of racial features are getting counted, that could explain why-- since I'm sure a large proportion of warlocks are probably tieflings.

That would make sense. And Hex isn't quite as important to the class as say, Hunter's Mark for rangers.

Yes, Hex is nice and such... but when you are level 1, you might be better served casting a spell that does nearly guaranteed damage. Hex does not last long and you need to hit to actually have an effect. And often the damage is wasted. This is more true at level 2, where you get agonizing blast.

Dausuul

Legend
Yes, Hex is nice and such... but when you are level 1, you might be better served casting a spell that does nearly guaranteed damage. Hex does not last long and you need to hit to actually have an effect. And often the damage is wasted. This is more true at level 2, where you get agonizing blast.
In terms of raw damage output, hellish rebuke is generally superior to hex at low levels; especially levels 3-4, when rebuke does 3d10 damage but Extra Attack has not come online and hex duration remains limited to a single combat.

The big problem with hellish rebuke is that it does not play well with the preferred strategy of a ranged attacker/caster. You're generally trying to avoid being hit. But if you succeed, you never get to use hellish rebuke! On top of that, you do not get to choose your target or your timing. The enemy is in control of when you get to use it and on whom. That's never a good place to be.

Hellish rebuke would be really good for a low-level bladelock. Otherwise, though, I'd still be inclined to pick hex.

Last edited by a moderator:

In terms of raw damage output, hellish rebuke is generally superior to hex at low levels; especially levels 3-4, when rebuke does 3d10 damage but Extra Attack has not come online and hex duration remains limited to a single combat.

The big problem with hellish rebuke is that it does not play well with the preferred strategy of a ranged attacker/caster. You're generally trying to avoid being hit. But if you succeed, you never get to use hellish rebuke! On top of that, you do not get to choose your target or your timing. The enemy is in control of when you get to use it and on whom. That's never a good place to be.

Hellish rebuke would be really good for a low-level bladelock. Otherwise, though, I'd still be inclined to pick hex.

I agree. But its not too bad being hit as warlock ince in a while. And it is a reminder for anyone not to do so again. I prefer armor of agathys though. At level 3, that is preventing 10 damage and at least does 10 damage, but most probably more.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
You also still have 43% of all Warlocks not taking Eldritch Blast. I'm honestly not certain if I should be heartened or alarmed by that.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases