CURSE OF STRAHD Is Out Today (In Some Stores)

For those of you near a preferred store, today's the day - the Curse of Strahd is upon us! The rest will unfortunately have to wait another 11 days until March 15th. But to help with the wait, here's a look at the amusing disclaimer in the front of the book (courtesy of Derek Myers on Twitter).

For those of you near a preferred store, today's the day - the Curse of Strahd is upon us! The rest will unfortunately have to wait another 11 days until March 15th. But to help with the wait, here's a look at the amusing disclaimer in the front of the book (courtesy of Derek Myers on Twitter).

strahd_disclaimer.jpg

For those of you who have the book, it is now available for review in the reviews area.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
It's a sun blade so +2 to hit and damage plus 1d8 radiant DMG to undead plus some other properties.

Yes. I'm familiar with the DMG version but the one in CoS is unique and makes no mention of using the abilities from the DMG.
If that's the intention, it should say it, since RAW, it's just a basic sword and that could be a problem for.DDAL.

Edit: never mind. Just reread and it does say it has the properties of a sun blade so all's good. Was worried there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Psychometrika

First Post
I have it too. Some thoughts:

Great production values. Gorgeous art that is very thematic.
Individual locations in Barovia seem well fleshed out and well written.
Very little supplemental crunch. Most of which is obtainable by free downloads.
Reads like a setting book with an adventure shoehorned in. It feels like it is "sandbox" more by production constraints than by thoughtful design. I really wish Wizards would develop settings and adventures in separate releases so proper attention could be given to both. By cramming them together there are obvious comprises being made.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
It feels like it is "sandbox" more by production constraints than by thoughtful design. I really wish Wizards would develop settings and adventures in separate releases so proper attention could be given to both. By cramming them together there are obvious comprises being made.

Can you give an example of something you feel it needs to work better as an adventure or as a setting?

My own impression so far is very favorable. It's. A million times more faithful to the original I6 than Expeditions was. And the new locations and side adventures seem full of the same kind of attention to detail and tone that made the castle in the original feel so real and oppressive.

I'm curious to hear what you feel is lacking, because there's a difference between wanting more and needing more.

dave2008

Legend
I have it too. Some thoughts:

Great production values. Gorgeous art that is very thematic.
Individual locations in Barovia seem well fleshed out and well written.
Very little supplemental crunch. Most of which is obtainable by free downloads.
Reads like a setting book with an adventure shoehorned in. It feels like it is "sandbox" more by production constraints than by thoughtful design. I really wish Wizards would develop settings and adventures in separate releases so proper attention could be given to both. By cramming them together there are obvious comprises being made.

I wish they would offer it in three separate books: campaign/setting info book; adventure book; monster book. Then I can buy just the ones I want! I don't really want the adventure or campaing/setting, but I love getting new monsters. If they would sell a book or PDF with the monsters for each campaign/ AP I would snap it up.

Jabborwacky

First Post
I got mine yesterday afternoon. I'll be looking into those Tarot cards. I lost my old ones long ago due to my brother keeping them in his pocket and then forgetting to take them out when he was washing his clothes. Seriously, who puts cards in their pocket?

Note on disclaimer: The disclaimer only applies if you are not a lich with a soul sucking apparatus and too much time on his hands. In that case, you'll just get humiliated when a bored alien intelligence too fat for the small portal you managed to create decides to test its elasticity and gets stuck halfway through. FYI, the dark powers wouldn't have allowed you to escape anyway, but at least you'll have gained valuable intel on them: The dark powers apparently have a sense of humor!

Last edited by a moderator:

Remathilis

Legend
So I just noticed that on the PHB trinkets table...

93 An empty wine bottle bearing a pretty label that says, "The Wizard of Wines Winery, Red Dragon Crush, 331422.W"

Apparently, that bottle came from Barovia? Nice.

SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!

Found my first complaint. The end of Chapter 2, pg. 39. The Mad Mage of Mount Baratok is actually Mordenkainen? Oh c'mon. It then goes on to describe how he underestimated how much of a connection Strahd has with the land and creatues in Barovia. But then later in this entry, it says how Mordenkainen is "familiar with worlds beyond his own." If he's so familiar with these other worlds, wouldn't it make sense that he would have known before hand about Strahd and his powerful connection to the land and it's creatures?

Don't get me wrong, I know Strahd is supposed to be the baddest villain in the D&D multiverse, (probably second to only Vecna,) but he can defeat Mordenkainen? Not only defeat him, but defeat him so soundly that the defeat drives him mad? Really? We are talking about a wizard who has spells named after him!! Leader of the Circle of Eight!! This was Gygax's character ..... one of the oldest PC's in this game's rich history!! My fragile Greyhawk pride is bruised.

A couple upsides to this, (I hope.) First, it's nice to see that they used Mordenkainen instead of just shoving Drizzt in there because .... well you know, it's Drizzt. Second, I hope that this means that they may be showing us more of Greyhawk in the near future!! (SCAG talks about how magic is disappearing off of Oerth .... what's that about .... I NEED TO KNOW!!)

Alright .... had to vent. I'm up to chapter 4 now, and I still think this is the best 5th edition adventure so far. Can't wait to DM it .... and have Mordenkainen get back at Strahd.

Xavian Starsider

First Post
So I just noticed that on the PHB trinkets table...

93 An empty wine bottle bearing a pretty label that says, "The Wizard of Wines Winery, Red Dragon Crush, 331422.W"

Apparently, that bottle came from Barovia? Nice.

Actually, Mystara in module B7. But they're probably branching out. Like BevMo.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I wish they would offer it in three separate books: campaign/setting info book; adventure book; monster book. Then I can buy just the ones I want! I don't really want the adventure or campaing/setting, but I love getting new monsters. If they would sell a book or PDF with the monsters for each campaign/ AP I would snap it up.

And that's probably why they put them all together as a single book-- so you'll still buy it even though it as stuff you don't want. If the options were to sell this book as-is with all three sections for $50 and you buy it, or split the three into individual books, have to write 50% more stuff in order to fill each of the three into large enough products, and then sell each one for $25 each-- and you only buy only one of the three that you want... they put in 50% more work all for the reward of less than 50% worth of sales. I think it's pretty obvious why they're doing what they're doing, even though it isn't ideal for all their customers. :)

dave2008

Legend
And that's probably why they put them all together as a single book-- so you'll still buy it even though it as stuff you don't want. If the options were to sell this book as-is with all three sections for $50 and you buy it, or split the three into individual books, have to write 50% more stuff in order to fill each of the three into large enough products, and then sell each one for $25 each-- and you only buy only one of the three that you want... they put in 50% more work all for the reward of less than 50% worth of sales. I think it's pretty obvious why they're doing what they're doing, even though it isn't ideal for all their customers. :)

yes i know :(

Remove ads

Remove ads