• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Curse of the Moon

kroh

First Post
This looks pretty groovy and the price is right. Has anyone done a review of it yet. Congrats on the release!

Regards,
Walt

Pinotage

Explorer
It was reviewed on RPGNow.com by one of the staff reviewers. I'd be interested to see how this compares to Paradigm Concepts' Slaves of the Moon product which I thought was very good.

Pinotage

The Truth

First Post
I'm working on a review for d20 Magazine Rack. So far, the pdf has really impressed me. It'll definately find a place in my homebrew.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
Pinotage said:
It was reviewed on RPGNow.com by one of the staff reviewers. I'd be interested to see how this compares to Paradigm Concepts' Slaves of the Moon product which I thought was very good.

I read Mike's book and mine went in a totally different direction; his presented* an (example) origin of lycanthropes and other flavor-based stuff as well as mechanics. Curse basically strips lycanthropes down to the basic out-of-game concept, says "now what do we really need this template to have?," and builds up additional mechanics from there. It also presents a bunch of questions for DMs to answer regarding lycanthropes in their campaign, such as "what is the lycanthrope's natural form?," "exactly what part of the moon's presence or absence causes a form change?," "are lycanthrope alignments hereditary?," and so on. Basically COTM totally fits my company mission statement of educating the reader about the game so they can better decide how to use this and other game material in their game.

And it has same items, spells, and feats that can be used with "regular" lycanthropes (right out of the MM, rather than using the three new templates I present in the boook).

*Of course it's been a year since I read SotM so my memory of it is probably a little off.

sjmiller

Explorer
Sean,
The RPGNow review seemed to harp on the fact that there was no "printer friendly" edition of the book. I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but my definition of printer friendly is anything that allows me to print it. I have color laser printers, so the issue of lots of color art, which some complain about, is not a problem for me.

I can tell you that I am most likely going to buy this, once I get a chance. My players haven't encountered any lycanthropes in this campaign. Might be fun to toss them a curve ball.

Banshee16

First Post
Does the book give information on how to have non-evil werewolves, for instance? Heroes of Valour has a good aligned werewolf in it...but no rules on how that would work for a PC.

The lythari are another example of non-evil werebeasts.

Does the book have any rules on how to make new lycanthropes of animals types that hadn't had lychanthrope variants before? Like were-dinosaur or something? Or were creature like were-satyr or whatever? Some of the less common types of creatures that have been in fantasy fiction?

Banshee

I acquired the PDF shortly after the initial posting about it, being a fan of both Lycans and Reynolds :)
{when you doing part 3 of 'no absolutes'?.. anyway...}

IMO the best parts of the book are about:

1> The whys and wherefores. Instead of 'this is how it is' ala MM 'all werebears are good', Sean takes the time to detail interesting background information on real world animal behavior, mythical behaviors, and suggests how a GM could take it.

2> Crunch without fluff. The animal form is simply an alternate appearance. Instead of actually turning into a full blown wolf, you look like a wolf. The Lycan feats grant you some of the special abilities, but for the most part these are divorced from the actual bloodline. Parts that are tied are the attack types and some special abilities. For instance, you can be a were-krenshar and take the Scare ability...

...and I guess that last sentence says whole volumes about how different a take this book goes to :) It lets you let loose the reins of imagination without fearing unbalancing the mechanics.

He does not specifically address creating were-dino's, however the core of his mechanics leans to adapting the concept easily. Instead of trying to calculate various LA and ability options, you mix and match the available Were feats to get the right feel.

The mechanics are very well thought out, and explained. Sean meets his goal of providing a template that is both easy to apply, adjudicate and does a fair job of recreating the myth of the Lycanthrope.

If you have a campaign that wanders into these realms often, this PDF is a must buy.

There are a number of full color pictures throughout, which would drain my little ink-jet dry pretty quick.. but that young lass on page 46 is worth it! :)
{no, its not that kind of picture...}

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads