D&D 5E Custom (altered) Monsters Review

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If possible, I'd love some feedback on these two new variant monsters I put together for my next session.

Group of Five PCs, they will be level 2 (just barely). They're on the lighter side of the spectrum of good tactics at the moment, and have no magic items to speak of, but I gave them warning this area might be more difficult than they intended and they're heading on in anyway.

I have several regular Harpies present. But, I wanted some lesser Harpies, and then in a nearby area a greater Harpy that will serve as a queen of this clan of Harpies.

Here's what I created, and I'd like some thoughts on whether these roughly meet the guidelines, in as much as there are any guidelines (and I am looking forward to that blog post breaking down what can be discerned from the existing playtest beastiary):

Harpy Screech (Lesser Harpy)

Medium Monstrosity

Armor Class 13

Hit Points 13 (3d8)

Speed 15 ft., fly 30 ft.

Str 10 (+0) Dex 13 (+1) Con 11 (+0)

Int 7 (–2) Wis 8 (-1) Cha 8 (–1)

Alignment: Chaotic evil

Languages: Common

ACTIONS

Melee Attack—Claws: +5 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).

Hit: 5 (1d8+1) slashing damage.

Screeching Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 30 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 8 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage, and is staggered for 1 minute. While staggered, the target has disadvantage on melee roles and strength checks. The target can use its action to break the staggered effect (requiring a DC 8 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the staggered effect ends.

Level 2 XP 30

------

Harpy Queen (Greater Harpy)

Medium Monstrosity

Armor Class 14

Hit Points 14 (3d8+1)

Speed 15 ft., fly 40 ft.

Str 11 (+0) Dex 14 (+2) Con 12 (+0)

Int 8 (–1) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 9 (–1)

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

TRAITS

Captivating: The harpy has advantage on attack rolls made against creatures under the charm of a harpy.

ACTIONS

Multiattack: The harpy makes a claws attack and a spiked club attack.

Hit: 7 (2d4 + 2) slashing damage.

Melee Attack—Spiked Club: +4 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).

Hit: 3 (1d6) piercing/bludgeoning damage.

Luring Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 300 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw. Failed Save: The target is charmed for 1 minute. While charmed by the harpy, the target must first move closer to the harpy. After that, it can use its action to break the charm (requiring a DC 10 Wisdom check). If the check succeeds, the charm effect ends. Once the target makes a successful saving throw or breaks the charm with a successful skill check, it is immune to the luring song of all harpies for the next 24 hours.

Screeching Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 50 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, and is staggered for 1 minute. While staggered, the target has disadvantage on melee roles and strength checks. The target can use its action to break the staggered effect (requiring a DC 10 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the stagered effect ends.

ENCOUNTER BUILDING

Level 3 XP 70

That's an extremely long range for Luring song given the duration of the effect. Thematically appropriate, perhaps, but if you're going to retain 300' range I recommend you increase the duration of the effect so that the creature is likely to reach the harpy's location within the duration of the effect. Otherwise the effect is that the opponent gets close enough to the harpy for the effect to wear off, charge and attack.

Mistwell

That's an extremely long range for Luring song given the duration of the effect. Thematically appropriate, perhaps, but if you're going to retain 300' range I recommend you increase the duration of the effect so that the creature is likely to reach the harpy's location within the duration of the effect. Otherwise the effect is that the opponent gets close enough to the harpy for the effect to wear off, charge and attack.

That's the existing text for Luring Song from the Harpy entry in the Bestiary, except I changed the DCs to account for this being a slightly more powerful creature.

Mistwell

I've decided to alter Screeching Song to not require a new condition (staggered). Instead I'm going to change it to simply Intoxicating Song, which will impose the existing Intoxicated condition (you're not really intoxicated, you just feel like you are). That's essentially just Disadvantage, and also makes it harder to cast spells. Close enough to the effect I was looking for, without inventing a new condition just for this monster.

I am also tweaking some HP, AC, and XP. Will post new stats shortly.

Mistwell

Harpy Screech (Lesser Harpy)
Medium Monstrosity
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 9 (2d8)
Speed 15 ft., fly 30 ft.
Str 10 (+0) Dex 13 (+1) Con 11 (+0)
Int 7 (–2) Wis 8 (-1) Cha 8 (–1)
Alignment: Chaotic evil

ACTIONS

Melee Attack—Claws: +4 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).
Hit: 5 (1d8+1) slashing damage.

Intoxicating Song: The harpy emits a buffeting screech which makes creatures feel like they’re hung-over. The harpy chooses a creature within 30 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 8 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage, and suffers from the Intoxicated condition for 1 minute (disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks; spellcasting requires DC 10 Constitution check, or else spellcasting action is wasted, but not the spell itself). The target can use its action to break the Intoxicated effect (requiring a DC 8 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the Intoxicated effect ends.

Level 2 XP 30

Harpy Queen (Greater Harpy)
Medium Monstrosity
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 25 (5d8+3)
Speed 15 ft., fly 40 ft.
Str 11 (+0) Dex 14 (+2) Con 12 (+0)
Int 8 (–1) Wis 11 (+0) Cha 13 (+2)
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

TRAITS

Captivating: The harpy has advantage on attack rolls made against creatures under the charm of a harpy.

ACTIONS

Multiattack: The harpy makes a claws attack and a spiked club attack.
Hit: 7 (2d4 + 2) slashing damage.

Melee Attack—Spiked Club: +4 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature).
Hit: 3 (1d6) piercing/bludgeoning damage.

Luring Song: The harpy chooses a creature within 90 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 10 Wisdom saving throw. Failed Save: The target is charmed for 1 minute. While charmed by the harpy, the target must first move closer to the harpy. After that, it can use its action to break the charm (requiring a DC 10 Wisdom check). If the check succeeds, the charm effect ends. Once the target makes a successful saving throw or breaks the charm with a successful skill check, it is immune to the luring song of all harpies for the next 24 hours.

Intoxicating Song: The harpy emits a buffeting screech which makes creatures feel like they’re hung-over. The harpy chooses a creature within 50 feet of it (other harpies and deafened creatures are immune). The target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw. Failed Save: The target takes 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, and suffers from the Intoxicated condition for 1 minute (disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks; spellcasting requires DC 10 Constitution check, or else spellcasting action is wasted, but not the spell itself). The target can use its action to break the Intoxicating effect (requiring a DC 10 Constitution check). If the check succeeds, the Intoxicated effect ends.

ENCOUNTER BUILDING

Level 3 XP 100

Remove ads