D&D General Custom Dice Curve

Harzel

Adventurer
How would I go about generating a bell curve such that the range is 1-12 and the high point is 5?

Obviously, 2d6 come close. I was also thinking about 2d4 + 1d6 -2.

By "high point" do you mean the mean value (average) or the most likely single result? Those are not the same thing.

jgsugden

Legend
You have results oriented questions, but we only know a bit about your goals. Do you want the 2 and 12 to have equal probability? Should the total of the probability to the left of the 5 equal the total of the probability to the right of it?

The last time I tried to shift the probability curve around, I determined that my best approach was to change dice based upon training and talent levels. A weak PC with no training trying to do something would roll 2d4 while a strong PC with a lot of pysical training might be rolling 2d12. I added an exploding die mechanic (if a die hit the maximum value, you added a die and subtracted 1 from the result) and a few other tweaks and ended up with exactly what I needed.

Last edited:

Roll 1d20, reassigning the numbers above 12 as follows:

13=1
14=2
15=2
16=3
17=3
18=3
19=4
20=4

EDIT:
The following may be better as it has actual fives in it:

13=1
14=1
15=1
16=2
17=3
18=4
19=5
20=5

In any case the reassigned numbers need to add up to 22 and the total of all the numbers needs to add up to 100
EDIT:
If you want 5 to be the most likely number, you could also roll d% and replace the numbers above 12 with seventy-five "5"s, eight "4"s, and five "3"s

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases