(D&D 3.5) The Goblins of the Shattershtruk Hills

Cassander

First Post
MarknDC said:
I think I'd like to give this a try. Is it ok if a relatively rusty player joins you all? I've played a little recently and have been excited about getting back into the game.

No problem. We're not using anything but the core 3.5 rules, so that should keep it pretty simple. The other players or I can help you out if you have any problems with character creation. You just need a PHB & DMG or the hypertext d20 SRD and you should be set. We've got a dwarf fighter/cleric and a human rogue so far.

Welcome to the game!

MarknDC

First Post
Cassander said:
No problem. We're not using anything but the core 3.5 rules, so that should keep it pretty simple. The other players or I can help you out if you have any problems with character creation. You just need a PHB & DMG or the hypertext d20 SRD and you should be set. We've got a dwarf fighter/cleric and a human rogue so far.

Welcome to the game!
Awesome, thanks! Well I've played since 1st Ed though 2nd Ed came out about the same time I was starting so we moved over to that pretty soon. I've played 3.5 a fair bit and have recently started back up by getting my girlfriend into it and DMing for her.

I'm thinking about making a warrior for this one. I'm going to steal one of the formats for character sheets the someone else posted on this site and post a character, probably tomorrow :)

Cassander

First Post
MarknDC said:
Awesome, thanks! Well I've played since 1st Ed though 2nd Ed came out about the same time I was starting so we moved over to that pretty soon. I've played 3.5 a fair bit and have recently started back up by getting my girlfriend into it and DMing for her.

I'm thinking about making a warrior for this one. I'm going to steal one of the formats for character sheets the someone else posted on this site and post a character, probably tomorrow :)

Sounds good.

I take it your gf won't be coming to the gameday? Cause if she does and wants to play too, I can put her down for a slot.

MarknDC

First Post
Ok here's my character, I'm sure I screwed up a bunch of things :)

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Gadven
[B]Class:[/B] Fighter
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] LN
[B]Deity:[/B] ST. Cuthbert

[B]Str:[/B] 16 +3      [B]Level:[/B] 4        [B]XP:[/B] 6000
[B]Dex:[/B] 16 +3      [B]HP:[/B] 28
[B]Con:[/B] 10 +0           
[B]Int:[/B] 13 +1             
[B]Wis:[/B] 8 -1      [B]Init:[/B] +3
[B]Cha:[/B] 8 -1      

[B]Base  Armor Shld  Dex  Size  Nat   Misc   Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]           10    +5    +2    +3    +0    +0    +1      21
[B]Touch:[/B] 13              
[B]Flatfooted:[/B] 18

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      4    +1          +5
[B]Ref:[/B]                       1    +3          +4
[B]Will:[/B]                      1    -1          +0

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Longsword                    +9     1d8+6       19-20/x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Goblin

[B]Feats:[/B] Combat Expertise, Dodge, Weapon Focus (Long Sword), 
 Improved Trip, Weapon Specialization (Long Sword),Power Attack

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 28       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 7/3.5
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc   Total    ACP[/B]
Tumble*                 3.5      3           +6       -4
Know(Nobility)*         2        1           +3
Climb                   4        3           +7       -4
Jump                    4        3           +7       -4
Ride                    1        3           +4
Swim                    1        3           +4       -8
Spot*                  3.5      -1           +2

*Cross-Class skill

[B]Equipment:                           Cost     Weight[/B]
  Heavy Masterwork Steal Shield      170 gp     15 lb      
  [i]Longsword +1[/i]                      2315 gp     4 lb
  [i]Breast Plate +1[/i]                   1350 gp    30 lb
  Backpack                           2 gp         2 lb
    Bedroll                            1 gp         5 lb
    Piece of chalk                   1 cp         N/A
    Flint and steel                   1 gp         N/A
    Trail rations [4]                 2 gp         4 lb
    Small steel mirror               10 gp        0.5 lb
    Waterskin                        1 gp        4 lb
    Whetstone                        2 sp        1 lb
    Winter Blanket                    5 sp        3 lb
    Crowbar                            2 gp        5 lb
  Belt Pouch                           1 gp        0.5 lb
  [i]Pot Cure LW[/i] [3]                      150 gp       N/A
  [i]Pot Prot from Evil[/i] [3]              150 gp       N/A
  [i]Pot Cure MW[/i] [2]                     600 gp       N/A
  [i]Pot Barkskin +2[/i] [2]                  600 gp       N/A

[B]Money:[/B]  44gp 2sp 9cp

[B]Total Weight:[/B] 74 lbs.

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               76   153   230

Description: Gadven grew up in a noble family but was the youngest of five which meant he was destined to receive nothing from his parents. Luckily his family position gave him access to trainers and he knew he needed to form his own independent life apart from his family. After a few failed attempts at wizardry (he just didn't have the knack for it) he found a weapons master who showed him how he could gain fame and glory as a warrior. He quickly to to swordsmanship and progressed quickly. Upon reaching adulthood Gadven ventured off on his own as a sell sword working his way through mercenary companies and whomever else needed a skilled swordsman, could pay and was on the right side of the law. Bounty hunting and working as a guard helped to fill in the gaps in his contracts. Eventually he realized that he needed to gain more renown to find more work and that doing jobs that didn't have money on the front end could have a lot of reward as well. This has lead to his adventuring career.

Last edited:

Cassander

First Post
Looks good. I only see a few issues:

1. Why is touch AC 14? All I see affecting this would be Dex and Dodge. Dex brings you to 13, and Dodge isn't factored into your regular AC and would only apply to one opponent anyway. The Misc bonus seems to be the enhancement bonus from the +1 breastplate, and that doesn't apply to touch.

2. I believe your attack bonus with longsword should be +9 instead of +8 as listed. +4 BAB, +3 Str, +1 enhancement, +1 Weapon Focus.

3. I think your damage should be 1d8+6: +3 Str, +2 Weapon specialization, +1 enhancement.

4. You're missing a feat ;) You get 2 standard feats at levels one and three, 3 fighter feats at levels one, two, and four, and you get 1 extra feat for being human. This comes out to a total of 6 feats, while you just have 5 feats listed. Your fourth level fighter feat is taken (Weapon Specialization), so the feat left is the standard one you'd get at 3rd level.

5. You forgot your human skill points as well. You should get 4 x 7 = 28 skill points, so you've got 7 more skill points to spend. :)

6. You might want to notate your armor check penalty to climb, jump, tumble, and swim. It seems to be -4 (-3 breastplate, -1 mwk heavy shield) for most of those and -8 for swim.

--

I also like your description. If the three of you want to work out how your characters met and some history or what not, that's cool. It also could be that you only met recently. You can assume a standard fantasy setting and either use made-up places or stuff that's from Greyhawk, like in the implied setting in the PHB.

For the start of the adventure, you'll be traveling through a rural countryside where the closest real cities are many days away.

Last edited:

MarknDC

First Post
Cassander said:
Looks good. I only see a few issues:

1. Why is touch AC 14? All I see affecting this would be Dex and Dodge. Dex brings you to 13, and Dodge isn't factored into your regular AC and would only apply to one opponent anyway. The Misc bonus seems to be the enhancement bonus from the +1 breastplate, and that doesn't apply to touch.

2. I believe your attack bonus with longsword should be +9 instead of +8 as listed. +4 BAB, +3 Str, +1 enhancement, +1 Weapon Focus.

3. I think your damage should be 1d8+6: +3 Str, +2 Weapon specialization, +1 enhancement.

4. You're missing a feat ;) You get 2 standard feats at levels one and three, 3 fighter feats at levels one, two, and four, and you get 1 extra feat for being human. This comes out to a total of 6 feats, while you just have 5 feats listed. Your fourth level fighter feat is taken (Weapon Specialization), so the feat left is the standard one you'd get at 3rd level.

5. You forgot your human skill points as well. You should get 4 x 7 = 28 skill points, so you've got 7 more skill points to spend. :)

6. You might want to notate your armor check penalty to climb, jump, tumble, and swim. It seems to be -4 (-3 breastplate, -1 mwk heavy shield) for most of those and -8 for swim.

--

I also like your description. If the three of you want to work out how your characters met and some history or what not, that's cool. It also could be that you only met recently. You can assume a standard fantasy setting and either use made-up places or stuff that's from Greyhawk, like in the implied setting in the PHB.

For the start of the adventure, you'll be traveling through a rural countryside where the closest real cities are many days away.
You're good at this preciseness :) You don't know how long I agonized over which Feats to pick while at work. Even the extra one didn't solve the debate...I want to have cleave.

Anyway I think I got all of your suggested changed edited into the original.

Cassander

First Post
MarknDC said:
You're good at this preciseness :) You don't know how long I agonized over which Feats to pick while at work. Even the extra one didn't solve the debate...I want to have cleave.

Anyway I think I got all of your suggested changed edited into the original.

It's not like I don't do these things too... I've left off the extra skill points for being human before as well. And I've accidentally had too many feats, though I'm not sure ever too few ;-)

And if you decide to swap some feats, you still have time to make changes... just let me know in a new post so I'll be aware.

Less than 2 weeks till gameday!

Cassander

First Post
Thanks to everyone for playing... I hope fun was had by all, even if I was a little shaky, especially at the start. Sorry for not being as prepared as I should have been, especially with the bigger combats. I learned a number of things to do better if I do another big con game. I appreciated your patience with me... thanks.

QuinnHarlech

Explorer
Thanks for letting us into the game when Shock collapsed. You did a fine job for having two additional players thrust upon you.

I know I certainly did have fun, even if there were dwarves and humans in the party. Sigh, the sacrifices you sometimes have to make to combat evil.

Remove ads