D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Planescape- In Through the Out Door (Full)

Unsung

First Post
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=6776473]Pembinasa[/MENTION] Don't mind us, pray continue. :D
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] I want to get you into the RP thread as soon as possible, so you and Pembinasa tell me what you need. If that's a shifty street vendor who somehow puts the tome in young Graydon's hands, or just a reason for Graydon to consult his spellbook, just let me know if there's anything I can do.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] I want to get you into the RP thread as soon as possible, so you and Pembinasa tell me what you need. If that's a shifty street vendor who somehow puts the tome in young Graydon's hands, or just a reason for Graydon to consult his spellbook, just let me know if there's anything I can do.
I finally finished reading the IC thread, may have skimmed some parts, but it seems like there's an awful lot of unique introduction still happening, so I was hesitant to congest things...breaking out with a talking book while Picayune is still materializing and everyone is still in wide-eyed "where am I?" mode seemd a bit much...then again maybe it's perfect?

I was looking for an adventure hook that the group is pursuing as a tie-in for my character, but everyone is sort of wandering aimlessly right now, so no luck there...

My thinking is that one of these scenarios would be most appropriate to introduce Shandrizar:

• During downtime when Graydon consults his Spellbook.
  • If/when Graydon casts Find Familiar.
  • If Graydon's backpack/satchel in which he holds his Spellbook were stolen by a thief.
  • If the group comes across a library, a literary puzzle, a spell scroll, or a scroll written in Draconic.
  • If the group encounters a dabus (as Shandrizar can "speak" rebus).

Maybe I'm being too picky? I'm open to ideas.

Pembinasa

First Post
"Oh, nothing much, nothing much; just the way you were describing them as being all about requiring the sacrifice, or else hunting you down and tearing you apart like a piece of meat." Graydon walked onward, not wanting to be too close to Shard while asking her things- preferably just out of spear's length. "It made me think of some twisted combination of an owlbear and a tax collector- 'Now everyone in the village line up and let me eat your left arm. Just the left, it's basically why you have two, this is the price you pay for being alive... and if you should have the unthinkable effrontery to object to the situation, well I'll be more than happy to devour you from the feet up so you can watch me do it.'"

He scratched his chin thoughtfully. "Still, that's just working from incomplete information so far; you've said a couple examples of what they're not, but negative classification can only go so far in describing something. So what are these nasty things? Maybe some sort of organized crime ring of the Far Planes, or suchlike?"

@Unsung, @Quickleaf- The plain plan to me seems to be that Graydon casts Find Familiar, and his spellbook (already imbued with an archmage via portal-fiddliness, unbeknownst to him) wakes up for the first time. Now, it seems to me the way to speed Shandrizar's waking is to get Graydon into a position to cast that spell ASAP- which would involve having a brass brazier available and Graydon already having the spell components to cast it available in his pouch, as well as an hour of uninterrupted time. Maybe he borrows one of the bartender's braziers and takes a really long bathroom break, maybe he doubles back to grab his backpack of stuff from whatever respectable place he stayed in last night (say, 'Comfortable' level) and does it there, maybe the party wants to see him do some kind of fancy magic, just throwing out ideas; we can always figure out a way to quicktime the casting part.

In any case, Graydon's going to WANT to grab ahold of a familiar as soon as he possibly can! That little slumtrip convinced him that he'd definitely like an extra set of eyes, especially when he's asleep; that faun in particular (IC opinion only, not any OOC problem desired) seems like the kind of smartass who would sneak into somebody's bedroom and draw dicks on their face or put their hand in a bowl of warm water. He'd like to leave the student pranks back with the students, thank you. :p (Of course, the down side is that Shandrizar might well find that kind of thing hilarious, especially if Graydon's managed to piss him off. Wizards can be DICKS, y'all.)

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Shard laughed at that, and gave Graydon a long, considering look.

"You're not just working from incomplete information. You're already hostile to the idea. I don't know if I can explain what gods are in a way that will make sense to you. I will try though."

She paused and looked up at the cloud of smog that choked off the sky and blocked the view of Sigil's long arch overhead, gathering her thoughts.

"There are worlds and worlds and worlds, without end. Each of them was forged or fashioned by a god. And when each world drew its first breath, new gods came to be...rising out of that moment of creation. They are the shapers of fates, the watchers at the walls. I've never been sure if they keep the world working, or if they exist because the world is working...but one surely leads to the other, no matter which way it goes."

Her face grew distant, pensive, as she continued.

"Each is different. Some are what you say. Some are gentle and kind. They are what can be, if that makes sense. They are defined by their natures, and their natures define what is possible in that world. There are many. So many... But most are just voices in the wind. Only a few learn the path to power, and fewer still manage to walk it."

Abruptly Shard looked back at Graydon.

"But how is it you don't know this? What do they teach you of gods where you are from?"

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6776473]Pembinasa[/MENTION] Yes, that works for me. I'll try to stay current with the IC thread, but just in case give me a shout when Graydon summons his familiar to grab my attention in case I've gotten busy. Looking forward to it :)

Pembinasa

First Post
Graydon listened with an intent look and a dubious frown, trying to piece together her philosophy as best he could- one thing was clear, she believed what she was saying, no matter how difficult she found it to put into words.

It most certainly didn't match anything he knew of the world, though.

"It's quite the interesting theory you have there, Shard, I have to admit that. But I really can't see how any of it actually fits together, and there's just no evidence of anything like that on my world. I hadn't even run across the word 'god' until you and Eurid mentioned it just a bit ago; they sound rather like some form of bizarre nature-ghosts so far. Born alongside a world, yet they make worlds- presumably as part of their reproductive cycle? Except they also float around whispering on the breeze... is this some sort of metaphorical wind you're talking about, perhaps? A Wind Between Worlds, or some such?"

He shook his head, trying to get all the pieces of what Shard was saying to fit together. "Sorry, but so far I'm only getting more bewildered. How is a gusty moan meant to shape fate or what have you, for that matter?"

@Quickleaf, will be sure to do so. Hope we can get you in nice and quick! @CanadienneBacon, you'll have to catch his light show sometime! This is probably more like one of those really boring unskippable old Final Fantasy summoning cutscreens- and is it really viable to stretch that out into a full hour? He can entertain so much better when his mind's on task, just saying... but he'd be willing to try to provide extra special effects if possible.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
What the heck is going on right now? I was reading the in game thread, I think, and there was 22 more posts so I have to stop because it's 2:30 Pacific time and since I'm eastern it's more like 5:30 in the morning. Now I think this is OOG but it seems like people are posting in game stuff here? I, confused! And, defiantly won't be able to keep up at this rate. Boy you guys make it hard to vacation! Lol

Shayuri

First Post
Hehe, don't fret. Pembinasa and I are just indulging in a little alternate-world, "but what if THIS happened" exploration. His character in the actual game thread was played as if he already knew what gods were, even though he's from a culture that essentially outlaws religion. So he wanted to RP a little side conversation where he and Shard discussed the nature of divinity.

So the conversation here is IC, but is not 'canon' in the sense it took place in the game.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Remove ads