• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Planescape- In Through the Out Door (Full)

Unsung

First Post
I was going to say...5th Ed is much lighter on the equipment spiral than previous editions, but we WILL upgrade our gear as we proceed. If he's going to contribute to combat, our bookish friend will need a way to do the same, even if an unconventional way.

I think what [MENTION=6776473]Pembinasa[/MENTION] was saying would make sense. Bookmarks, new binding, illuminations, filthy limericks scrawled in the margins, all of these could serve to modify and 'improve' Shandrizar the way normal equipment works for all you humanoid types.

Quickleaf

Legend
So would this be Graydon's spellbook that he had with him in Glantri? Or is it something he happened across (or is still yet to come across) in Sigil? Open question, to [MENTION=6776473]Pembinasa[/MENTION] and [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]. Would Shandrizar be a great mage of Mystara, and if so, how much of his legend would Graydon know from his history lessons at the Great School?
Obviously this involves two of us players, but I was thinking that it was Graydon's original spell book "possessed" by Shandrizar...so Shandrizar can make notations, criticisms, and even new spells appear within it (at the DM's discretion of course), not to mention make it move and do his bidding like a body. However, I am open to other ideas.

I was thinking of Shandrizar as plane walking archmage who is a friend to the d'Ambrevilles who have a family member as headmaster of the Great School. There are several planar gates on Mystara and references to high level mages traversing other dimensions abound.

Quickleaf, if you had some seeds for ideas of Shandrizar's legacy on the planes, would you mind hitting me with a PM of those when you've got the chance? Not because it's a secret, but because it should be a surprise. :p
Sure thing!

If you're up for it, I'm inclined to say healing magic doesn't work on you, but mending and similar effects can. You don't heal with rest, but like with any inanimate object, repairs can be rushed. Unlike your organic inferiors, who only time (or divine magic) can help.
Interesting. Yeah, that works for me.

Some other construct immunities could apply: full immunity to poison, disease, paralysis. Maybe resistance to bludgeoning damage and/or piercing, with a vulnerability to fire. No need to eat, sleep, drink, or breathe, but subject to water damage as if drowning.
Hmm...if I adopt those then I'd probably need to swap out some racial features (maybe Gnome's Cunning) to make it fair, since those are potent. Always-on Resistance to bludgeoning and/or piercing damage is probably too powerful for a PC until much higher levels.

Maybe take a peek at the warforged rules?
Where might those be? In the MM?

Quickleaf

Legend
Also, [MENTION=6776473]Pembinasa[/MENTION] some cool things I didn't realize having a familiar let's you do:

1. Telepathy 100-ft with each other.

2. You can perceive thru my senses (darkvision) if I'm within 100-ft as an action.

3. I can deliver touch spells that you cast if you so desire, using my reaction, provided I'm within 100-ft of you.

The part about you being able to dismiss me at will is less cool (for me) :)

Pembinasa

First Post
I was thinking of Shandrizar as plane walking archmage who is a friend to the d'Ambrevilles who have a family member as headmaster of the Great School. There are several planar gates on Mystara and references to high level mages traversing other dimensions abound.
Aww, and here I was having fun with Mystara being so little-known out here- even if the Inner Planes would prove a much more fruitful place to find Mystaran knowledge. (Honor Island in Ierendi being an excellent example in that regard.) Given that OD&D's cosmology with all the Spheres didn't really mesh with the Great Wheel and it didn't really get hauled in with the rest until the Mystaraspace addition to Spelljammer, we'd been planning on having it be kind of a distant backwater place to the planars... but hey, that doesn't interfere with having a bunch of powerful wizards from there, when you think about it.

I could work with Shandizar knowing Mystara through whichever of the big families you had in mind, although do realize that claiming friendship with the scandalous d'Ambreville family isn't exactly a way for him to get trusted. Graydon's HEARD things about what the Headmaster's relatives get up to! :p

I think what @Pembinasa was saying would make sense. Bookmarks, new binding, illuminations, filthy limericks scrawled in the margins, all of these could serve to modify and 'improve' Shandrizar the way normal equipment works for all you humanoid types.
"There once was a mage from Nantu'khet..."

You guys sound like you might could benefit from a looksie at the race building rules in the Pathfinder Advanced Race Guide. I'm fresh off of building a PC with a unique race using these rules and found some great suggestions and mechanics in there. The Advanced Race Guide is part of the Pathfinder SRD, so it's freely accessible online, too.

Lots of wonderful things going on in this thread.

goatunit

Explorer
On the subject of sentient books, I believe there's a library on the Outlands that contains every book that was never written. They're pretty strict about their tomes getting out into the multiverse, but I figured it might be a useful detail for you to take advantage of.

Unsung

First Post
On the subject of sentient books, I believe there's a library on the Outlands that contains every book that was never written. They're pretty strict about their tomes getting out into the multiverse, but I figured it might be a useful detail for you to take advantage of.

No kiddin'? How 'bout that? ;) That might be worth remembering, people.

Work. Ugh. Busy.

My smartphone has been forwarding a ton of notifications for activity for both our threads for this game (how fun!), but I'm unable to post anything substantive until this evening. [MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION], please rp as if Picayune is there and paying attention, but is merely picking his moment to act. --Wendy.

Remove ads