• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Planescape- In Through the Out Door (Full)

Unsung

First Post
A familiar who's also a fighter? We're moving outside the standard rules a little as it is. I don't mind going further. Besides, this is pretty much exactly what
[sblock]Morte from Torment[/sblock]
ends up being, so precedent would be with us on this one. ;)

Pembinasa

First Post
I don't personally mind having a fighting familiar, but I would want it to be something that Graydon would accept- my concern is, wouldn't that inherently invalidate the whole point of 'noncombative role because that works better for a slower-posting player? '

Unsung

First Post
Maybe, maybe not. If [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] is willing to give up some autonomy in favour of utility (in combat), then maybe we could establish some standing tactics. The spoilered character was a purely defensive tank, much more concerned with holding enemy attention than dishing out punishment. The fighter can be so much more than a repository of hit points and a machine for making opportunity attacks, but as a baseline that's all it has to be. :p

...yes, I'm sure that really sells the idea. But hopefully folks can see what I'm getting at? The character can still have a presence in combat, just with a less granular approach to the round-and-action economy of D&D than faster-posting PCs.

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm thinking of going with a kind of mash up of familiar, mimir, and fighter.

a.aaa-The-face-book.jpg

The idea is that this once mighty planewalking mage Shandrizar the All-Seeing ends up trapped in Graydon's spellbook. He's a bit megalomaniacal despite being lawful good, and hasn't quite grasped that cosmic power is no longer within his grasp and he's basically reduced to being a glorified bundle of kindling between two stiff covers. Expect lots of smarmy deadpan humor with D&Disms tossed in, a la "I think you just Power Word: Stupified an ogre. A-mazing."

I don't think there's any harm stating him up and seeing how things go. If it seems like my posting frequency works ok for the group during combat then great. If not, then I can make him strictly non-combat. Sounds like most of you guys are open to giving it a shot, so I'm game if you are. Course correction is always possible after we see how my posting frequency pans out.

Mechanically...it raises all kinds of wacky rules question.

If he's Graydon's familiar, then when reduced to 0 HP he vanishes until Graydon casts Summon Familiar again. Of course, this means that Graydon's spellbook vanishes, in which he has Summon Familiar transcribed, so if he doesn't have the spell in memory and his spellbook vanishes.... You see the dilemma.

How do I represent the animated spellbook as an unarmed combatant? It looks like the ways to make that viable are to (a) treat the spellbook like a club (mechanically I'd be treated as equipped with a club that is undisarmable), (b) give him monk levels to make him an effective unarmed combatant (e.g. fighter 1, monk 1), or (c) take the Tavern Brawler feat.

How do I represent the animated spellbook as a race? I'm looking at either (a) modified human or gnome, or (b) completely Homebrew class modeled after the animated object entry in the MM that would have a feature which resolves the familiar issue raised above.
[MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION] Yes, I'm thinking the same way about a less tactically involved character. I may try writing him up as a 5e monster stat block actually.

Unsung

First Post
I like it very much. :)

Maybe Shandrizar can spontaneously summon monsters to fight on its behalf, monsters which you @Quickleaf then control, or at least direct?

A fighter with Tavern Brawler or a gnome monk with a few tweaks are probably the two most straightforward approaches. A lot of reskinning will be in order no matter what, so it's probably best to get the basic mechanics down pat and then build from there.

How does Shandrizar, as a book, move around? True flight? Sustained levitation? Flapping its covers like a giant leatherbound paper bird? And just how big did you picture the book being?

Incidentally (or possibly fully intentionally on Quickleaf's part), with Shandrizar the diminished archmage, I would officially have gotten all the things I asked for in my introductory post-- a master and an apprentice. :D

*If* we go that route. @Pembinasa We'd still need your blessing. Don't feel pressured. This affects your character in a big way, so you do need to decide if this fits with what you want out of a familiar.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
I like it very much. :)

Maybe Shandrizar can spontaneously summon monsters to fight on its behalf, monsters which you @Quickleaf then control, or at least direct?
Well, yeah if it serves your story. If we are considering me playing an 8th PC, having PC-controlled minions will just clutter the battlefield IMO and would work against my goal of having my PC be "low maintenance." Of course, if you were speaking from an antagonist standpoint then I'm game.

A fighter with Tavern Brawler or a gnome monk with a few tweaks are probably the two most straightforward approaches. A lot of reskinning will be in order no matter what, so it's probably best to get the basic mechanics down pat and then build from there.
Yeah, I'm looking at a re-skinned rock gnome, swapping out Tinker for Object Likeness (when Shandrizar doesn't move he is indistinguishable from an ordinary book). Would a Fighter 2, Monk 1 be ok? Or maybe a Figher 1, Monk 2? Not sure yet, but mechanically that multi-class combo looks right for the sort of unarmed warrior I'm aiming for.

How does Shandrizar, as a book, move around? True flight? Sustained levitation? Flapping its covers like a giant leatherbound paper bird? And just how big did you picture the book being?
Um, I'd pictured something akin to the dabus, some kind of a levitation thing that only allows him to hover about 5' off the ground. So a lot like Morte, actually. Obviously fringe situations will make that hard to interpret. I wanted to avoid actual flight because that is a potent ability, and I like how Queenie's pixie is the only one with that. I am open to suggestions, however :)

That is a good question about size. I was actually thinking he was a bit non-Euclidean in that I'm picturing a roughly 1' x 1' book about 5" thick when shut (albeit with unusually curving page edges), but a more head-like shape when open. I imagine that the further the book covers are opened the smaller they become until they are less than an inch when touching behind the paper "head".

Incidentally (or possibly fully intentionally on Quickleaf's part), with Shandrizar the diminished archmage, I would officially have gotten all the things I asked for in my introductory post-- a master and an apprentice. :D

*If* we go that route. @Pembinasa We'd still need your blessing. Don't feel pressured. This affects your character in a big way, so you do need to decide if this fits with what you want out of a familiar.
Yeah I agree, it's a big thing to introduce for Graydon. I kind of was shooting for an ambiguous master/apprentice thing, in that Shandrizar might have the ego of an archmage but magically his power is reduced to zilch, so Graydon would actually be mothe master, and yet Shandrizar (who I am picturing as having been a diviner, furthering the mimir trope) would have spells to teach as they leveled.

Unsung

First Post
Cool, very cool. That image of a book opening up and shaping its pages strikes me as the kind of thing that might be a lovingly described text-only completely optional side encounter in Torment. :)

Fighter 1, Monk 2 or Fighter 2, Monk 1 would both be fine by me, although it's probably the party's opinion you're asking for. :) Balance-wise, I think Object Likeness is probably more useful than Tinker as written, but I'd personally have allowed a character with Tinker to do more than the RAW, so I'm okay with it. I think the benefits of being able to hover or even fly are somewhat compensated for by his lack of hands, or pockets, or head or belt or boot slots, etcetera. I think that's somewhat true for a tiny pixie, too, or an intangible effigy for that matter.

If you do want the character to function as a frontline fighter, you'll want decent AC. I think the barbarian version of Unarmored Defense in exchange for your armor proficiencies is a fair trade, and maybe a +1 AC bonus for being a construct which replaces shield proficiency? Mage armor would make sense, but if we are trying to keep this simple but viable, I think this works.

Okay, so for size we'd be thinking Tiny, with case-by-case rulings for a book's rigid, inflexible shape? Does that seem fair to you?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION] I don't know if you missed it or not but I just wanted to verify that Lil's Pseudodragon is okay.

Also, I don't recall if I posted here or not but Fenris and I are out of town from tomorrow through March 20th. We may be able to post here and there but it will be sporadic. It might also take a few days of detox before we're fully up to speed.

Unsung

First Post
I did see you mention that on the Shadowrun thread [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION]. Have a good trip, hope everything goes well!

And having a pseudodragon as a mount for a Tiny character is fine by me. I love that. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
Cool, very cool. That image of a book opening up and shaping its pages strikes me as the kind of thing that might be a lovingly described text-only completely optional side encounter in Torment. :)

Fighter 1, Monk 2 or Fighter 2, Monk 1 would both be fine by me, although it's probably the party's opinion you're asking for. :) Balance-wise, I think Object Likeness is probably more useful than Tinker as written, but I'd personally have allowed a character with Tinker to do more than the RAW, so I'm okay with it. I think the benefits of being able to hover or even fly are somewhat compensated for by his lack of hands, or pockets, or head or belt or boot slots, etcetera. I think that's somewhat true for a tiny pixie, too, or an intangible effigy for that matter.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Probably will give him some scrolls which I suppose Graydon could use or transcribe...but otherwise wouldn't accumulate magic objects like other PCs.

I came to a solution for the "familiar vanishes at 0 HP" issue with Graydon's Spellbook. Instead, my character would simply lose all sentience until the Summon Familiar spell was re-cast on him...narratively, that would be Shandrizar's psyche being put into a coma, trapped within the book but unable to exert his voice or will thru it.

If you do want the character to function as a frontline fighter, you'll want decent AC. I think the barbarian version of Unarmored Defense in exchange for your armor proficiencies is a fair trade, and maybe a +1 AC bonus for being a construct which replaces shield proficiency? Mage armor would make sense, but if we are trying to keep this simple but viable, I think this works.
Well, monks get Unarmored Defense (obviating the barbarian version), so with 16 DEX and 14 WIS he'd have an AC 15. Which is good but not great for frontline. I considered taking the defense option for fighter Fighting Style, but without taking Dueling his damage is abysmal.

Okay, so for size we'd be thinking Tiny, with case-by-case rulings for a book's rigid, inflexible shape? Does that seem fair to you?
Yes, very fair.

Here's my first stab at writing up the character stats...

Shandrizar the All-Seeing (Graydon's Spellbook)

Animated Spellbook (re-skinned rock gnome) / Fighter 2, Monk 1 / Lawful Good

[sblock=Character Image]
a.aaa-The-face-book.jpg
[/sblock]

Strength 7 (-2)
Dexterity 16 (+3)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 14 (+2) 
Wisdom 14 (+2)
Charisma 11 (+0)

HP 27
AC 15 (unarmored defense)
Unarmed Attack: +5 hit; 8 (1d4+5) bludgeoning damage; when using the Attack option may use your bonus action to make a second attack.

Skills: Acrobatics +5, Arcana +4, History +4*, Insight +4
Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven, Rebus (dabus)

Race Features
Speed: 25'
Size: Tiny
Senses: Darkvision 60'
Spellbook Cunning: You have advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saves vs. magic
*Artificer's Lore: Add twice your proficiency bonus to Intelligence (History) checks related to magic items, alchemical objects, or technological devices.
Object Likeness: You can appear to be an ordinary book if you remain motionless.
Living Construct: Even though you were constructed, you are a living creature. You are immune to disease. You do need to eat or breathe, but you do suffer damage from "drowning." Instead of sleeping, you enter an inactive state for 4 hours each day. However, curative magic doesn't work on you, you have no hands, and you can't use equipment like other humanoid characters.
Familiar (Graydon): You and your master Graydon share telepathy 100-ft with each other, Graydon can perceive thru your senses (darkvision) if you're within 100-ft as an action, and you can deliver touch spells that Graydon casts if he so desires, using your reaction, provided you're within 100-ft. If you are reduced to 0 HP, your consciousness is removed from play (you cease to animate the spellbook) until Graydon casts Find Familiar as a 1-hour ritual, at which point you return at full hit points.

Class Features
Fighting Style (Dueling): When wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, gain +2 damage.
Second Wind: Use your bonus action to regain 1d10+2 hit points. You must take a short or long rest before using second wind again.
Action Surge: Take an additional action on your turn. You must take a short or long rest before using action surge again.
Unarmored Defense: Add your Wisdom modifier to your AC.
Martial Arts: Use Dexterity for unarmed attack and damage, roll a d4 for unarmed damage, and you can make an extra unarmed attack on your turn as a bonus action.

Roleplaying
Ideal: New Horizons. Exploring the limits of reality, technology, and thought is a moral imperative, ushering in new ways of being and new discoveries that will leave a beneficial legacy for others long after we are gone.
Bond: Graydon's familiar and spellbook.
Flaw: Megalomaniacal. Convinced he has cosmic power at his fingertips when he has no magic. Heck, he doesn't even have fingertips.
Traits: When hungry, instead of craving catoblepas steak or elven wine, craves new spells transcribed in his pages. Makes sarcastic quips and backhanded compliments using spell names as puns.

Custom Background: Diminished Archmage
Once you held cosmic power in your hand. You may have forged demi-planes, fashioned legendary magic objects, founded your own college of magic, or tested the boundaries of time and space. However, whether thru hubris, betrayal, or misfortune you have been greatly diminished from who you once were. While you are likely changed beyond recognition, you may find remnants of your old life scattered across the land and you still have more command words rattling around in your head than most folks will ever know.
Skills: Arcana, History
Languages: Choose any 2 languages
Background Feature - Discovery: Shandrizar knows a great truth about the nature of the planes, if only he could remember it!

Equipment
Shandrizar can't use equipment in the traditional sense. However, he can use spell scrolls as a wizard of his character level, provided they are stored within his pages or visible. He cannot transcribe spell scrolls into his pages as a spellbook; only a wizard can do that. Instead of Shandrizar gaining treasure, he can teach Graydon divination spells as they advance in levels. He begins with the following spell scrolls (save DC 13, attack +5) which he or Graydon can cast or Graydon can transcribe permanently on his pages:

Comprehend languages
Detect magic
Find familiar
Identify

Last edited:

Remove ads