D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Nebulous

Legend
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Fun to read and well laid out, this is a great addition to the game. Loses a star for some, probably too many, monsters falling into a "vanilla camp" where they lack enough interesting options. Easily fixable, but it takes time and forethought by the DM. Otherwise an excellent example of things to come for 5e.Here's hoping that the Monster Manual 2 is even bigger and badder than this one.

CrimsonStar75

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Well organized and featuring beautiful artwork, the new MM makes playing/DMing D&D fun and easy. Having all of the pertinent stats listed in an easy to read format allows for quick "pick-up" games. If my regular game can't meet, at the last minute it's simple to thumb through the book and toss some monsters at a party without getting slowed down by paperwork.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy

Ah, the ultimate MM!! This book is a jewel of beauty. It is truly the most spectacularly illustrated MM (or Bestiary for that matter) to ever be published. Each monster gets its own page (or multiple for big bosses). The layout is elegant, simple, uncluttered by side bars with confusing symbols. Ive played 1e & 2e. Both of these editions encapsulated what D&D is for me. While I loved these 2 editions there was always room for improvement. I was not a big fan of THACO for one. This MM creates challenges that are difficult and it allows the DM to scale these challenge ratings (tables which are in the DMG where it belongs). Every single iconic D&D beastie is here, everyone! I played for about half a year with a great group of guys whom Ive known for better part of my life, and for the first time I walked away from D&D. Fast forward 4 years and here we are. I played this game at demos around FLGS and cons and I was blown away! In short, because others are providing more concise reviews, I loved many elements of 5e. I did not have to play a tactical miniatures game anymore, in fact, I did not need mini's and battlematts (although these are great tools and I still use them). I did not need endless supplements with byzantine character options to play (and which costs $$$). I did not need to sacrifice role playing for roll playing. And most importantly, emphasis was not on combat, but on adventuring and stories. The DM now has control of her game, not the players. And that, in short is what D&D should be and what 5e has delivered.

gweinel

Explorer

A beauty to look, a pleasure to read, one of the most well presented MM. I would prefere a paragraph or two more in each creature (a pure ecology would be nice), but noone is perfect.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

This may be the best monster book ever. The art is fantastic, the rules are lite but complete, there are excellent inventions here like lair actions and legendary monsters, the monster descriptions are superb and spark the imagination, and there is so much they fit between these covers! I love it.

synthapse

Explorer

A fantastic beastiary, with far more monsters than I'd hoped. Legendary monsters are just what I've been hoping for.

talien

Community Supporter

This Monster Manual is the crowning achievement of all the monster manuals that have gone before. From the artwork to the random quotes about each monster to the curious arcane details about the monster ecology, this manual knows that what makes a good monster book is one that strikes a balance between stat blocks and story. The 5th Edition Monster Manual isn't perfect, but it comes awfully close.

The 5th Edition Monster Manual is a beautiful book. And it’s very arguably one of the best monster books of all time, a contender to the crown. And with books like the classic 1e Monster Manual, the 2e Monstrous Manual, the Bestiary or Tome of Horrors Complete for Pathfinder, or even the Monster Vault for 4e, the 5e MM was up against some pretty stiff competition. Even after 5e has gone the way of earlier editions, this Monster Manual will still have some solid appeal.If trying to hook someone into D&D I might consider skipping the Player’s Handbook and going right to the Monster Manual. The Starter Set might make it easier to play, but that requires an interest in wanting to try out the game. If you want to make someone curious about the game, to soften them up for the Starter Set and excite them with all the possibilities the game brings, this book is the one to hand out. In reading it I feel like I’ve thirteen again, skimming the 1st Edition Monster Manual borrowed by the public library and being fascinated by the boundless creatures. There’s just something appealing about reading about fantastic beasts and wondrous beings.I’m really anticipating finding the time to work on some 5th Edition monsters. I’ve already toying with ideas for updated monsters, variants, and new lairs. The book has enflamed my imagination. I want to use it. It’s made me excited. I don’t just want to use a monsters or see a particular creature in a fight: I want to tell stories, make worlds, create new monsters, and more.And this is the best thing I can say about the book.

Emirikol

Adventurer
3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

It has been fascinating watching the evolution of much of the presentation of gaming supplements and the "next" incarnation of the MM is no exception..except there was no evolution. Nothing new here. NO NPC's. Same old dungeon crawl A-Z monsters that we've seen a bajillion times before. Same ol' art. jh

Remove ads