D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

Goemoe

Explorer
4 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

It has all, but rules to advance the creatures(as in 3.5E) and lists of monsters by CR or type. But I like it.

Simon Collins

Explorer

This monster manual covers a great set of monsters and has some excellent information for integrating them into your campaign but it sorely misses having encounter building and monster creation information, which I believe should have been included.

Rhenny

Adventurer
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

I'm already getting good use out of the 5e Monster Manual, but it is more than just crunchy stat blocks. I really like how the fluff/background content inspires my imagination. I enjoy reading the book just like I enjoyed reading the 1e Monster Manual when I was first introduced to D&D over 30 years ago. I feel like the magic is back.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Monster Manual

This is the first monster manual I own (and I own ~15) that requires me to ~force myself to read it a second time.

The art is hit and miss for me (though always of great "objective" quality), some of the monsters will /never/ see use in my games, many of the monsters fall flat in terms of combat options and I'm not a fan of some presentation choices such as the spell lists.

I also find that many of the stat-block lines are overly long. The choice to make me hunt in the players' for the spells, but cluttering an entry with more than a full line for a +1 to damage /if/ they wield their weapon in two hands is... bad.

Lastly, I find the little "notes" to be rather uninspiring for the most part.On the whole, I don't like it - but I can appreciate its qualities.Also, I find the absence of credit next to the image to be borderline insulting (I'm not sure why I reacted this strongly, but it is what I felt.)

Last edited:

Psikerlord#

Explorer

Superb art. Great monster selection and mechanics on the whole. Two gripes: too many good dragons which could have had more baddies instead, and some monsters are a bit plain - a unique ability for a few more of the vanilla beasties (like Ogre having a knock down or knock back effect) would have been perfect.

Xenu

First Post

Not bad, but lacks a few things that older editions had in spades: monster treasure types, ecologies, and CR tables to name a few. Artwork is not too bad. Last few pages, however, simply have monsters crammed in without very good presentations.

E

Elderbrain

This particular MM has, IMO, the best monster selection, rules, and art for an official D&D product. The creatures look fantastic, they are easy to use, and almost all of my personal favorites were included, as well as "must-have" monsters that everybody wants to use like vampires, Mind flayers and liches. Pretty much all the bases are covered, from the Material plane critters to the Inner and Outer planar monsters (I.e. Genies, Angels, Demons, Devils, Yugoloths, Elementals, etc.) And the appendix has an awesome selection of normal or semi-normal beasts and animals. Never before has so much gaming goodness appeared between the covers of one Monster Manual!

Last edited:

Blitzner

First Post

I disagree about some options for the monsters and it could have a wider variation on challenge levels, though. But the art is great and is very pleasant to see some oldschool monsters gaining space in our day to day game again.

machineelf

Explorer

I can only hope they are working on a Monster Manual II that's just as good with great art.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer

Quite possibly one of my favourite RP books of all time. I continually pick it up and read random entries. They have certainly learnt a lot from past editions. This is a fine balance. Not too much fluff where every critter has the same subheadings. One of the best parts they kept from the 4E Monster Vault was the Subheadings that told you a lot about the monsters - then followed with some flavour text. There are so many ideas for inc the monsters here.But I am not one to just want more fluff for my monsters. I love stats too. We are at least back to monsters being of an expected CR (rather than having to have a version of each level to be challenging). You now know what to expect from the 'average' ogre for eg. Then, for uniques, things should be easy to modify (but that stuff is apparently in the DMG). There are enough powers to make creatures usable in combat, but the stats are not overwhelming. One of my favourite aspects - AC actually means something again. (It is not determined by level). You can look at a critter and have some idea of its AC (due to armor and DEX).Great stats, VG art, and enough story to act as a coffee-table book. A hard balance to strike in a MM, but they did it! Get this book.

Remove ads