D&D and the rising pandemic

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Every time you come in here and just say 'no' to someone's post I'm just going to say 'no' to your post.

Maybe eventually you'll see that this is not actually adding anything to the conversation.

You are the one that started this exchange. Next time don't start by saying "they are already there" in disagreement to me for pointing out that only time will be able to validate if their strategy was right long term. That's why you got the tid for tat response treatment from there on. What you said was no better than "no you are wrong" and I do take offense to that.

Zardnaar

Legend
On another forum someone pointed this out.

Whole it's easy to say stay at home and shut everything for 2-3 months not everyone can do that.

Our cupboards are full and we have a pile of food in the other room and hallway.

The average person has a week or two supply of food and a lot of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck without the safety net Europe and Australasia has.

There's already food disruptions in the USA, article I posted early on the BBC 30 million people might starve elsewhere.

Here if you're completely broke there's welfare and food parcel deliveries.

If you're a trapped foreigner there's emergency housing/motel and food parcels available. You also get emergency Covid healthcare. Government bailout was a wage subsidy of $500+ per week conditional on companies paying 80% of their employee hours and there's a public list of companies getting it and how much.

Unemployment has spiked but it's similar levels to European unemployment in normal times.

Easier to say stay at home when worse case scenario you end up in a motel room with someone dropping off food once a week.

Things will get worse once the lockdown finishes. Not sure if they'll keep paying for motel rooms although the charities became government funded as well.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
There's been a bit of sniping at the federal level but so far it is controlled.

The don't get complacent messaging has been around don't break self-isolation yet. That sort of message will become a really hard sell by August if covid-19 seems to be reasonably well-controlled. My experience with people suggests memory loses its edge to affect behaviour after about 3-6 months. By Hallowe'en the population at large will have a fading memory of the spring and have resumed normal behaviour if it is allowed to. It is hard to affect how a population acts based on a single event.

Yeah, and as their model showed they're expecting the first wave to be over before the start of fall.

I think the real question here is what contingency plans are they going to have for a second wave.

How fast will the reaction be. If measures are relaxed and then put back into place people will notice. And they will have practice from this time.

I also think people will be continuing measures like face masks, physical distancing, hand washing, etc. Those weren't normalized in Canadian society at the start of all of this. It will be in November.

Zardnaar

Legend
I got bored and looked at our food/nation.

We export something like 80-90% and we're looking at doubling production in the next decade or two.

87% live in an urban environment. 13% produce most of that food. 13% of 5 million people.

Theoretically we can feed Australia, ourselves and export elsewhere. Theoretically we can double that so we can theoretically feed 60 odd million people.

We're not using the land that efficiently high value meat and bulk dairy.

If we switched to potatoes or whatever we can feed even more.

Theoretically, probably don't have the labour to harvest crops, or be able to process it for export (canning, drying etc).

Farms already projecting labour shortages as tourists on working holidays do a lot of orchard, vineyard type work.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
There's been a bit of sniping at the federal level but so far it is controlled.

The don't get complacent messaging has been around don't break self-isolation yet. That sort of message will become a really hard sell by August if covid-19 seems to be reasonably well-controlled. My experience with people suggests memory loses its edge to affect behaviour after about 3-6 months. By Hallowe'en the population at large will have a fading memory of the spring and have resumed normal behaviour if it is allowed to. It is hard to affect how a population acts based on a single event.

I would have thought the timeframe closer to 4-6 weeks.

I think the real question here is what contingency plans are they going to have for a second wave.

How fast will the reaction be. If measures are relaxed and then put back into place people will notice. And they will have practice from this time.
That and if they will have started to build better Internet/cell phone infrastructure and get tech in the hands of all students.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
You are the one that started this exchange. Next time don't start by saying "they are already there" in disagreement to me for pointing out that only time will be able to validate if their strategy was right long term. That's why you got the tid for tat response treatment from there on. What you said was no better than "no you are wrong" and I do take offense to that.

You are wrong.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Fire up your popcorn & get comfy: we’ve got states opening ahead of the schedule recommended by the models the Feds are using- including having a 14-day continuous decline in coronavirus cases before reopening- AND Rick Bright has been removed from his post for applying the scientific method.

Hope it works out, but I don’t think it will.

Remove ads