D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If social distancing becomes a luxury that people have to pay for, the virus will spread like wildfire. Social distancing must be mandatory, not premium.

It isn't like just blocking the middle seat is any use. If you are going to be sitting there for several hours, the difference between adjacent and 2 feet away isn't going to matter much, in terms of transmission.

And, since asymptomatic transmission is a thing, the temperature checks and asking folks if they have had symptoms (a question they're just going to lie about anyway), are security theater.

Olrox17

Hero
It isn't like just blocking the middle seat is any use. If you are going to be sitting there for several hours, the difference between adjacent and 2 feet away isn't going to matter much, in terms of transmission.

And, since asymptomatic transmission is a thing, the temperature checks and asking folks if they have had symptoms (a question they're just going to lie about anyway), are security theater.
2 feet probably isn't enough, indeed. 3-4 feet, plus mandatory facemasks, might work.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, that's about stupid.

Not really has to be viable.

Wasn't that long ago air travel was a luxury for the rich or something you would save for.

Wife asked me this last night.

"Can the USA even eliminate Covid".

Probably not.

I have a sane government here and we got shown three curves. Containment, herd plan, and what most countries are doing.

That plan which is half assed isolation drags it out to the end if the year around October. That's wave one it's unknown if you get multiple waves.

Personally I don't think lockdowns viable for more than 2-3 months. Because of the economy.

By that I don't mean money is more valuable than humans but disruptions to the food supply. Most people can't afford to not work for two-3 months. We're already seeing food shortages, food lines in USA.

Covids killed 250k people. Starvation due to Covids disruption is 30 million people.

Even if USA locked down now properly and you could enforce it it's still going to take at least 3 months from now to drive the numbers down to around 0. Took 49 days here and we caught it early/behind the cycle and we've had two days of 0 cases I expect we will get more.

They shut down everything to do it. I can't see America doing no Walmart, no Amazon, no takeaways, no deliveries.

We're also in uncharted waters here. We've got 1929 to look at and the Spanish Flu but the world is a very different place now. Cars and planes existed but they weren't like now. Cars were luxury item for rich, airlines were just getting started.

Pandemics seem to last a year or two in a particular area. By the time they develop a vaccine it may have burned itself out.

Things are falling apart faster than 1929 though. There was a smaller depression 1929-20 that kinda primed the pump for 1929 but I suppose you could compare that with the GFC to now I suppose.

Nah they can operate for the rich. Wasn't that long ago airlines were mostly for the rich.

No, they currently, and AFAIK pretty much always have, operate for business travel. I believe the current statistic is that something like 75% of the airlines profit is from business travel (the percent of business flyers is significantly lower). Think about it: who do you think actually pays for all those higher fares for last minute travel or shells out $10 for two hours of wi-fi? The answer is business travelers whose bills are footed by the company.

So the real questions here are: 1) How much money is your company willing to pay to get you from point A to point B? And 2) How much of a risk is your employer willing to take of you getting COVID and getting a workman's comp claim because of it?

I think most of the latter question is still working it's way through the system. Questions of whether you can get workman's comp for getting COVID19, how you prove you got it on the job, etc, are still being worked out.

Zardnaar

Legend
No, they currently, and AFAIK pretty much always have, operate for business travel. I believe the current statistic is that something like 75% of the airlines profit is from business travel (the percent of business flyers is significantly lower). Think about it: who do you think actually pays for all those higher fares for last minute travel or shells out $10 for two hours of wi-fi? The answer is business travelers whose bills are footed by the company.

So the real questions here are: 1) How much money is your company willing to pay to get you from point A to point B? And 2) How much of a risk is your employer willing to take of you getting COVID and getting a workman's comp claim because of it?

I think most of the latter question is still working it's way through the system. Questions of whether you can get workman's comp for getting COVID19, how you prove you got it on the job, etc, are still being worked out.

I would put business types in "the rich" category. Company pays the bill and it's tax deductible.

There will be less demand short term even if they're allowed to open.

They're gonna be bleeding money, asking for government bail outs, and a few will go under.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I would put business types in "the rich" category. Company pays the bill and it's tax deductible.

There will be less demand short term even if they're allowed to open.

They're gonna be bleeding money, asking for government bail outs, and a few will go under.

Ummm... I travel all the time for work and I am by no means "the rich".

Remove ads