• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I've gotten enough shots and blood tests throughout my (relatively short) life that I no longer have an aversion to needles. I do hate getting allergy shots and vaccinations, though. My arm always swells up and has a huge welt for a few days.
I worked at a hospital for a while, and had to get booster shots for ... well, about everything. After the first couple left me wanting to crawl into bed and not come out until a few days later (or chicken soup was offered), I scheduled the rest of the shots on the Fridays before my weekends off.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My shots horror story: as a 7 year old military dependent, I had to get all of my vaccinations up to date when we moved to Germany. Shortly before the move, my medical records were lost. So I had to get ALL of my vaccinations all over again. Knowing my dislike of needles, my parents didn’t tell me until we got to the actual room.

It took one orderly across my legs, one at my waist, one on each arm, and one giving the actual injections to complete the task.

Thomas Shey

Legend
When I was young, I had chronic tonisillitus; I got so many shots I developed a raging hate on for them. And I've notoriously throughout my life had some, shall we say, serious adrenaline reactions to some things. My first sign of this was when they strapped me down to give me a shot when I was six and I broke the strap.

(I'm still more than a little belonephobic, but I can get around it by just not looking for the most part.)

I once had to give a blood sample, and the doctor decided that the intern should do it. I am not fond of needles, but as long as they get it over with quickly, I'm fine. The intern failed to find my vein over 20 times, before I passed out. When I came to, my first words were:

"Please tell me you got it!"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Can these vaccines be given via the polio-type sugar cubes, or via an inhaler like Primatine Mist?

Unlikely. The polio vaccine could use those routes because it is an inactive virus vaccine. So, the stuff is robust enough to enter the body like the virus would. These vaccines are not as robust, physically, and probably can't be administered that way.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Re: logistics

Sometimes, stuff happens. Fortunately, the mess was discovered in time to take action.

Barely.

The thing is, in those two hours, they administered more vaccine in all the time from Dec 18th to that point.

Thus proving that it isn't that they cannot administer the vaccine quickly. One hospital source managed hundreds of shots an hour! It'd be good to know what the holdup is.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Man. Double whammy here in Los Angeles. Covid is way out of control and the state/county can't get their acts together to actually vaccinate people. :(

Thus proving that it isn't that they cannot administer the vaccine quickly. One hospital source managed hundreds of shots an hour! It'd be good to know what the holdup is.
For the most part, the holdup is deciding who gets it. In this emergency, there wasn't enough time for any politicians to get involved.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads