D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Beide the gap in insurance between USA and Germany (almost impossible to not be insured here) that explains it. Here you can only get it from a doctor, not in pharmacies and certainly not in grocery stores (which in Germany are not even allowed to sell any meds).

And with a doctor here you either have a fixed appointmemt made far in advance or you may go to one of there walk in periods, but then you might very well have to wait an hour or more until you're up.

So unless your company has it's own doctor for employees to be visited during work, it requires a focused effort to get the shot.

At least it's free for anyone and most insurances actually reward you for doing it.
The ubiquity of flu shots- including availability as a walk-in- actually predates our change in insurance coverag via the ACA, commonly called Obamacare. (Where I live, at least.) So again, our numbers are disappointingly at odds with my expectations.

And to clarify, shot dispensaries are not in any old grocery store, but rather, in those that have a pharmacy in them.

I must say that I’m a tad surprised that something as safe as a basic flu shot requires a doctor’s appointment in Germany, but that mayhave many reasons, including variations in pharmacist training.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
More on Delta, breakthrough infections and why shots & masks matter:

This many breakthrough infections in 2 hospitals is going to have a domino effect on the level of care available for EVERY patient going into those facilities.

Simply put: reduce the number of vectors, reduce the number of infections. Reduce the number of infections, reduce the strain on the healthcare system.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well my appointments for vaccines are still good but the confirmation messages are kind of your ticket.

Got through on the phone straight away and got a booking number which can also be used. Jabby jabby in 4 days.

For flu vaccines technically they're free but the visit to the doctor isn't. Apparently there's a shortage of doctors and appointments can be a pain. Never had any trouble locally but that might be because of the medical school.

Dr. Lukejohn Day of S.F. General said all of these cases were contracted outside the hospital since strict PPE protocols are still in place inside.

“Our PPE requirements have not changed since the beginning of the pandemic. We have always adhered to them so strictly we have not had any patient-to-staff or staff-to-patient transmissions,” Dr. Day told KPIX.

He expected that, through the pandemic, 10 to 20 percent of his staff would be sickened by COVID-19 but, between safety protocols and vaccines, that has not happened.

“We didn’t see that for the first couple of surges and I think that was really due to the sheltering in place that was in effect through San Francisco and the Bay Area,” Dr. Day said.

This level of surety is unparalleled.
Not even a little skepticism on his part given asymptomatic shedding.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This level of surety is unparalleled.
Not even a little skepticism on his part given asymptomatic shedding.
Yeah, a little too confident, especially considering in 2020- as posted some pages back- at least one virologist claims to have contracted C19 via his eyes on a cross-country flight since all of the other major probable pathways were properly shielded while traveling. (Even then, ocular contraction of C19 was a known, if rare, possibility.)

And that was with a less contagious strain.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, a little too confident, especially considering in 2020- as posted some pages back- at least one virologist claims to have contracted C19 via his eyes on a cross-country flight since all of the other major probable pathways were properly shielded while traveling. (Even then, ocular contraction of C19 was a known, if rare, possibility.)

And that was with a less contagious strain.

Seems more likely a mask failed or wasn't used.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nah, he had his mask & gloves on. And he mentioned then ocular transmission was a known transmission path. And if you look, there’s lots of articles mentioning it as a possible but rare way to catch C19

Remove ads