• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

FitzTheRuke

Legend
To be clear: mRNA vaccine tech is @20 years old. The only thing “experimental” about it is the efficacy of new vaccines using the technology, not the tech itself.

Right now, it’s being adopted as THE industry standard going forward in large part because of the speed with which new & effective vaccines can be created. Some in the pharma world have declared older methodologies functionally “dead” or “dying”. Another plus is their decreased odds of harmful side effects compared to old tech vaccines using killed or weakened viruses.

It’s also showing promise as a method by which we can produce vaccines for pathogens that have- thus far- eluded scientists’ attempts to create vaccines to. This- plus its speed- can also potentially aid in fighting viruses that mutate rapidly (influenza) or combat diseases that affect so few people that they’re not “economically feasible“ to develop vaccines for- the so called orphan diseases.

Sounds awesome. I look forward to what we discover about it in the future. With over three billion people having taken the various COVID vaccines at this point, I just don't understand how anyone could consider them "untested" anymore. That's a LOT of testing.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Sounds awesome. I look forward to what we discover about it in the future. With over three billion people having taken the various COVID vaccines at this point, I just don't understand how anyone could consider them "untested" anymore. That's a LOT of testing.

I think it comes down to using the "right" news sources.

Zardnaar

Legend
Free speech thing is also context. When the constitution was written you could still get imprisoned for "insulting vtge king". Extreme cases death and the charge was very broad.

I think a French knight got executed for "insulting the king" and he slept with the king's sisters.

1776: you still had absolute monarchs in Europe. All it does is protect you from the government not your fellow citizens reactions. Or employers reaction.

Ryujin

Legend
To be clear: mRNA vaccine tech is @20 years old. The only thing “experimental” about it is the efficacy of new vaccines using the technology, not the tech itself.

Right now, it’s being adopted as THE industry standard going forward in large part because of the speed with which new & effective vaccines can be created. Some in the pharma world have declared older methodologies functionally “dead” or “dying”. Another plus is their decreased odds of harmful side effects compared to old tech vaccines using killed or weakened viruses.

It’s also showing promise as a method by which we can produce vaccines for pathogens that have- thus far- eluded scientists’ attempts to create vaccines to. This- plus its speed- can also potentially aid in fighting viruses that mutate rapidly (influenza) or combat diseases that affect so few people that they’re not “economically feasible“ to develop vaccines for- the so called orphan diseases.
Unfortunately there are still some people who can't understand that we no longer give people Cow Pox, in order to protect them from Small Pox.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think it comes down to using the "right" news sources.

Heh yeah we have the broadcasting standards authority here. You can complain to them about what gets screened.

No Murdoch media for some strange reason. Most news I find is sensationalist to various degrees. Boring doesn't get views I suppose.

I like DW on YouTube.

Cuba using its own vaccines. Mostly tried and true technology but they're vaccinating toddlers from age 2+. First on world.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Most news I find is sensationalist.

News is expensive to produce, what with all the reporters who have to go to far-flung locations. And the news is in competition with every other media for eyeballs. If they did it straight, it wouldn't get viewership, and wouldn't be here at all.

You know what tends to improve the quality of news, and reduce misinformation? Robustly funded, but independent, public radio/news. Things like NPR in the US.

Zardnaar

Legend
yoink this phrase...

It is a brilliant phrase.

In lockdown started looking after this thing.

IMG_20210915_162717.jpg

Stray, starving etc. He yowls a bit outside but is a more reliable source than angry ham. He's getting rehomed tonight. Things to do in lockdown.

Remove ads