• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And, this at least has an origin: Comirnaty is an agglomeration of the words “Covid-19 immunity” and “mRNA,” the latter indicating the technology that makes the vaccine work. As a whole, the word is intended to evoke “community.”
To me, it sounds like it the name was this girl’s idea:
1631857656422.jpeg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And there genuinely is a problem with trademark-capable names being, well, heavily used up. Its why so many drugs sound like SF names now.
raises hand

I have named at least one PC that saw action after something in my medicine cabinet. Klor-Khan was a 1/2 Orc bounty Hunter (Ranger with Humans & Orcs as favored enemies). Klor-Con is a brand name for potassium supplements.

Ambien the Enchanter works, too.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A Kentucky court refused to direct a hospital to administer ivermectin to treat a Covid-infected man at the behest of his wife (a nurse of some kind). In the decision, the court took note of the law that prevents the admission of junk science into evidence. Similar laws exist in most US jurisdictions. (Each has its own standards for distinguishing junk science from the real deal, of course.)

Zardnaar

Legend
raises hand

I have named at least one PC that saw action after something in my medicine cabinet. Klor-Khan was a 1/2 Orc bounty Hunter (Ranger with Humans & Orcs as favored enemies). Klor-Con is a brand name for potassium supplements.

Ambien the Enchanter works, too.

1E mate had Barbarian named Voltaran (spelling?).

I think you mentioned this first?

Triage by any other name?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yep. Crisis triage.

Noting for clarity: nowhere in that article does it say that a patient’s unvaccinated status will be taken into account. That’s conforming to my understanding of medical ethics standards.

Instead, they ask (again) for people to mask up and get vaccinated, as well as to avoid/cut back on a bunch of risky behaviors.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yep. Crisis triage.

Noting for clarity: nowhere in that article does it say that a patient’s unvaccinated status will be taken into account. That’s conforming to my understanding of medical ethics standards.

Instead, they ask (again) for people to mask up and get vaccinated, as well as to avoid/cut back on a bunch of risky behaviors.

They seemed to be pussyfooting around it but non vaccinated generally get it worse so they didn't outright state it.

Also the article said they quietly announced it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
They seemed to be pussyfooting around it but non vaccinated generally get it worse so they didn't outright state it.

Also the article said they quietly announced it.
What I meant was- contrary to the desires I’ve seen around the Internet- they’re not altering triage procedures to deprioritize the willfully unvaccinated. IOW, even though some would like to see it happen, they’re not “punishing” the antivaxxers by putting them at the end of the line.

Which is consistent with general medical ethics practices. Yes, antivaxxers are materially contributing to their own problems via their choices, but so are a lot of people who wind up seeking health care services.

For example: I overeat, causing me issues with weight, joint pain and hypertension. In addition, I have mild food allergies, but I don’t avoid those foods in my diet. I’m voluntarily contributing to conditions that could negatively affect my health.

So are people who drink too much, do drugs, practice parkour, skateboard, drive without seatbelts, etc.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
What I meant was- contrary to the desires I’ve seen around the Internet- they’re not altering triage procedures to deprioritize the willfully unvaccinated. IOW, even though some would like to see it happen, they’re not “punishing” the antivaxxers by putting them at the end of the line.

Which is consistent with general medical ethics practices. Yes, antivaxxers are materially contributing to their own problems via their choices, but so are a lot of people who wind up seeking health care services.

For example: I overeat, causing me issues with weight, joint pain and hypertension. In addition, I have mild food allergies, but I don’t avoid those foods in my diet. I’m voluntarily contributing to conditions that could negatively affect my health.

So are people who drink too much, do drugs, practice parkour, skateboard, drive without seatbelts, etc.

There are certain places where there are punishments on the insurance end. Our state health insurance plan charges more for smokers, for example (they might have an out if they actively participate in a smoking cessation program). The key there is probably hitting a tipping point where the majority are against the behavior though.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Will not be doing the upcoming MtG Midnight Hunt pre-release in person (unlike the last one a few months ago where delta wasn't full out yet). Son's second shot will have had its full kick in a couple weeks from now, so in plenty of time for the Crimson Vow one in November. So we'll probably hit that one assuming everyone is as happy to mask as they were last time.

Planning last spring, we were hoping that this fall we'd finally be able to take a trip to meet his grandparents halfway in TN this fall (after missing the last two trips in the spring when we'd usually do it). We wouldn't be hanging out close to others or in big groups, but my worry is hospital space if something non-COVID goes bad with one of their health condition. The way they're going, I'm not sure it will be down. (Looks like Florida, for example, is finally getting back down to the worst they were last spring).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There are certain places where there are punishments on the insurance end.

Yep.

Folks do need to consider the consequences of that too, though. If someone is unvaccinated, and can't afford the extra charge, they will lose their insurance. If they need major health services of any kind (not just for covid) then they are going to get hit with a massive bill... and become among those people who lose their homes and all due to medical bankruptcy.

Someone doesn't get vaccinated - are you ready to make them, and their family, their kids and grandma, who have no strong part in the decisions - homeless and jobless for that? Because it'll happen.

There are no simple answers when people are dumb en masse.

Remove ads