• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The "scientists"

Is that really what you want to start with?

No real population COVID controls and FAR lower infection rates.

I mean, you're absolutely incorrect that there's be no real population covid controls in Africa. Africa has rather more experience with disease outbreaks than most of the rest of the world, and they've been using that to control the spread of the disease - at a cost of forcing another 40 million people into extreme poverty with their containment measures. Lockdowns and other restrictions have been common, and coordinated across the continent.

There is no mystery. The problem is that this approach isn't sustainable.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
And what's Afticas testing like. No testing no cases look we're fine.

Africa advantage is also uoinger population than OECD types. Larger families and less old people proportionally.

éxypnos

Explorer
Is that really what you want to start with?

I mean, you're absolutely incorrect that there's be no real population covid controls in Africa. Africa has rather more experience with disease outbreaks than most of the rest of the world, and they've been using that to control the spread of the disease - at a cost of forcing another 40 million people into extreme poverty with their containment measures. Lockdowns and other restrictions have been common, and coordinated across the continent.

There is no mystery. The problem is that this approach isn't sustainable.
go study why scientists are calling it the Africa conundrum. I'm not going to argue minutiae. The data is in and analyzed and published

éxypnos

Explorer
I don't think that's accurate. Which parts of Africa are you referring to?

Yes. It has completely turned Western Gov't actions on their head, showing them as the wrong way to manage the situation. Many are emotionally invested in lock downs and such. Weird but true.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
go study why scientists are calling it the Africa conundrum. I'm not going to argue minutiae. The data is in and analyzed and published

That's not how discussion works. If you are going to make an assertion, you should be ready to back it up when asked. Passing research onto others says to us that you don't have a solid foundation for what you are saying.

And, two things:

1) What I was saying comes from publications of the World Health Organization, and the scientific journal Nature - I double checked them before I spoke.

2) What comes up when one searches on "The African Conundrum" isn't about covid, but a book about the overall developmental hole Africa is in, where it came from, and how they can get out of it.

When I finally do get to something covid-related, some pages deep in Google, it is a paper discussing how the low covid morbidity in Africa can be explained by the age distribution in sub-saharan Africa: to wit, the continent is full of young people, who don't get as severe disease. Again, not a lot of mystery there.

So, basically, when I do study your point, I find it is not supported. If you want to be convincing, you're going to have to bring your own information, from reputable sources, to the table.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes. It has completely turned Western Gov't actions on their head, showing them as the wrong way to manage the situation. Many are emotionally invested in lock downs and such. Weird but true.

Except, the very first item in that article is how lockdowns were used in Africa!

"So, right from the beginning, most African governments took drastic measures to try and slow the spread of the virus.

Public health measures - including avoiding handshakes, frequent hand-washing, social distancing and wearing of face masks - were swiftly introduced.

Some countries - like Lesotho - acted even before a single case was reported.

It declared an emergency and closed schools on 18 March, and went into a three-week lockdown about 10 days later in unison with many other southern Africa states."

If anything, the takeaway is that lockdowns and strict public health measures work, and that Western nations needed more of them, not less.

éxypnos

Explorer
Except, the very first item in that article is how lockdowns were used in Africa!
But not ANYWHERE close to the lockdowns in the West, Hence the term, African conundrum per the Western medical and science community. I'm not going to argue with the doctors and scientists unless I do my own scientfic study and it contradicts their. That just isn't how to conduct science.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Did you read Mannahnin’s link? They pointed out that African nations had several things that helped them weather this as they have.

First, they had a MUCH higher compliance with orders to mask up, improve hygiene (via hand washing, avoiding handshakes), etc. There is no significant pushback on those public health edicts.
1645129032105.jpeg

The perceived poverty of their healthcare infrastructure worked to their advantage because they have almost NO elder care facilities which concentrate the most vulnerable into close proximity- an ideal situation for viruses like COVID.

Another way in which their “substandard” healthcare system actually worked in their favor is that their population demographics skew towards the young. The typical patients who account for most of the COVID casualties in the developed world are already dead; there’s a smaller percentage of people with comorbidities exposing them to greater risk from C19. IOW, other healthcare crises have already winnowed out a lot of the more vulnerable.

Etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads