• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

MGibster

Legend
The simple fact of the matter is their employee’s judgement of what I want and MY judgement of what I want are two different things. I get a reminder of that every time I buy cold cuts from the deli counter.
One of the worst things about COVID for me was listening to my wife complain every time she ordered groceries. Every. Single. Time. It didn't matter if it was Kroger, Walmart, or some other grocery store, there was always something wrong with the order. Which I thought was odd, because after the first year I would have thought they'd have the kinks worked out. I'm with you, I don't trust them to select the produce or meat that I want.

Zardnaar

Legend
One of the worst things about COVID for me was listening to my wife complain every time she ordered groceries. Every. Single. Time. It didn't matter if it was Kroger, Walmart, or some other grocery store, there was always something wrong with the order. Which I thought was odd, because after the first year I would have thought they'd have the kinks worked out. I'm with you, I don't trust them to select the produce or meat that I want.

Same here they do have a button to allow substitutes.

If you click it you might end up with random stuff but they'll often throw in something for free.

Big backlog but you can also click and collect so you pick up and avoid the whole shopping part.

Sunday morning 8am quiet though.

Hussar

Legend
See, for me, this is the really, really frustrating thing. Japan proved that masking and social distancing works. That if folks actually do their due dillignence, all of this covid stuff would be done already and would have been done with a lot less fuss. It's really frustrating to watch other countries opening up and treating things like it's all over, then another wave comes and things here get pushed back another six months because no one else seems to want to get with the program.

I look at it this way. the population of Canada rides the train here every single day. Every day. You know how many trains they cancelled in the past two years? None. Not one. Not a single cancellation. Didn't have to. Because people actually did what they were supposed to. I'm so sick of doing the right thing and then being punished for it because other people can't be bothered.

Sorry, I'm ranting. But, it's such a huge piss off. We would have been done with all of this crap a year ago if people had actually done what they were supposed to do. But noooo. Going to Mexico this year was too freaking important. :rant:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
See, for me, this is the really, really frustrating thing. Japan proved that masking and social distancing works. That if folks actually do their due dillignence, all of this covid stuff would be done already and would have been done with a lot less fuss. It's really frustrating to watch other countries opening up and treating things like it's all over, then another wave comes and things here get pushed back another six months because no one else seems to want to get with the program.

I look at it this way. the population of Canada rides the train here every single day. Every day. You know how many trains they cancelled in the past two years? None. Not one. Not a single cancellation. Didn't have to. Because people actually did what they were supposed to. I'm so sick of doing the right thing and then being punished for it because other people can't be bothered.

Sorry, I'm ranting. But, it's such a huge piss off. We would have been done with all of this crap a year ago if people had actually done what they were supposed to do. But noooo. Going to Mexico this year was too freaking important. :rant:
I cannot tell you how many times I’ve brought up Japan’s response to people- in detail- and realize they still don’t have the intellect or empathy* to emulate their example.

* either one is sufficient, both are not required. And too often, neither is present.

Zardnaar

Legend
Someone was wanting some sort of enquiry here because deaths went past 1000. Up to 1100 now.

Once Omicron got out they threw in the towel Feb/March.

Wife's workmate got it again 3-4 months after being sick. He's a bit of a boozer so guess what he likes more?

If it's the guy I'm thinking up he could put away close to 50 in a session.

If Covid doesn't get him his liver will. Wife's probably been exposed more than once vaccine might be working. Alot of idiots at her work.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hmm...

Saying one action is less risky than another can easily be implied as saying taking that action is basically okay.

I'm sorry, but "can easily be implied as saying" is not proper use of the word "implied." You might infer that it says such, but the text really doesn't have words supporting that.

To avoid considerable risk don't go indoors at public places.

Whether this is less or more risky than some other action is of minor importance.

I don't think you get to say what's important to others in this situation.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
It's partly the nature of the job. I ordered from our local Kroger variation (Pick and Save) for a year and it was rare that we got the same shopper even though we ordered from the same location. They used InstaCart to handle their shopping and delivery, not their own employees. That made for really flexible scheduling (one of the other locals did it with their own employees but the scheduling was much more inflexible as a result) but it also meant their pool of employees was constantly changing. And if you didn't specify an alternative, the person doing the shopping made their best guess - and different people have different levels of judgment on that regard.

That said, there were some shoppers who were really good about texting me with those choices - they'd take pictures of the nearby shelves. But those cases would take longer and keep them from shopping for as many people and making more money. So I understand why some shop quicker, make hastier guesses, and maybe don't get it exactly right the way you want it.

I certainly understand complaints about substitutions and mistakes, it's why I started doing my own shopping again once I was immunized, but I'm also understanding about the burdens being borne by the shoppers who were risking getting COVID and its complications for my protection.

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't think you get to say what's important to others in this situation.
I'm not telling others not to grocery shop. (I'm not even telling them it's important to stay out of the ICU!) I'm telling them to quit thinking it is safe or safe enough.

If you make the decision to shop for groceries in person despite acknowledging there is a risk, and that this risk is real, then fair enough. You're not the target for my message.

CapnZapp

Legend
We would have been done with all of this crap a year ago
You have my sympathies but this bit is just wishful thinking. A pandemic isn't something that once it passes it just goes away. That doesn't mean I don't understand your frustration, it only means I feel I have to remind us all even if everybody acted responsibly, you still wouldn't be done with "this crap".

This pandemic will likely not be over until it subsides by itself. What we can put our hope into is the virus mutating into something significantly less dangerous, and better treatments of seriously ill patients, making covid a less lethal disease overall. (Regarding vaccines - they will never be more than a temporary stop-gap no matter how great they work if poor people can't afford them and right-wing people don't trust'em)

Remove ads