• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

CapnZapp

Legend
There's no need to flaunt taking a risk you don't have to take. Especially in a thread like this. You could just silently keep shopping without making a deal out of it, especially given how we people are flock animals. If Danny does it, it must be pretty safe, right?

It's not like getting the off-brand product is gonna kill you, after all.

(And before you ask - I'm not saying here covid is likely to kill you. But covid is a very nasty piece of work, that can wreck your well-being even if you are never even close to having emergency care)

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm sorry but I'm not sure where you're going with this.

"The lesser evil" says that one thing is not as bad as the other; it does not say that both are not bad. My visits to the grocery store, masked up, innoculated, boosted and all, still have some risk. They're a risk I'm willing to take, but that doesn't mean they aren't one.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There's no need to flaunt taking a risk you don't have to take. Especially in a thread like this. You could just silently keep shopping without making a deal out of it, especially given how we people are flock animals.
I was asked if having our groceries delivered was an option. I answered that it was not, and provided an example of why this is so. I’m sorry you don’t like the answer, but if you’re only looking for agreement, you should probably look elsewhere.
If Danny does it, it must be pretty safe, right?
Don’t know why you’re making this about me. I never said anything was “safe”, not even grocery shopping. I even noted that our grocery trips involved being fully masked the entire time.

You might wish to pick better strawmen.
It's not like getting the off-brand product is gonna kill you, after all.
We buy plenty of store brand/generic products. Have done for decades.

But off-brands don’t exist for everything. Oscar Meyer doesn’t sell cold cuts we eat.

Some generics contain ingredients contain ingredients people in my family are supposed to avoid due to food allergies, drug interactions and other medical reasons. Some of those reactions/interactions may not be fatal, but are painfully unpleasant. We know what to look for under their various aliases; Joe Grocer might not.
(And before you ask - I'm not saying here covid is likely to kill you. But covid is a very nasty piece of work, that can wreck your well-being even if you are never even close to having emergency care)
Dad’s an immunologist, out of a program designed by Fauci- one of the best there is, in fact. Our conversations on COVID are daily; we’re all well informed of the risks, and act accordingly.

MGibster

Legend
Don’t know why you’re making this about me. I never said anything was “safe”, not even grocery shopping. I even noted that our grocery trips involved being fully masked the entire time.
Danny, I don't know if you're aware of this, but several of us are Dannyist, and we live our lives according to what we call The Book of Danny which is your collected wisdom since 1979. We have branches in 49 states (sorry Tennessee), and on every continent except for Australia. So I just want you to understad that all of this is all about you. Thank you for listening to my talk.

May Danny's hand be ever on your shoulder.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
It's partly the nature of the job. I ordered from our local Kroger variation (Pick and Save) for a year and it was rare that we got the same shopper even though we ordered from the same location. They used InstaCart to handle their shopping and delivery, not their own employees.
I do want to be clear, I don't want to give the workers a hard time for two reasons. The primary reason is because I'm not an %$#$#^#. But a secondary reason is because I know these workers have had a very difficult time over the last few years, and, since I'm not an %$#$#^#, I sure don't want to take out my frustrations on them. I appreciate all the people who worked in grocery stores and other businesses for making sure that I was able to live relatively well during a pandemic. I wish they were appreciated more and paid higher wages.

JEB

Legend
You have my sympathies but this bit is just wishful thinking. A pandemic isn't something that once it passes it just goes away. That doesn't mean I don't understand your frustration, it only means I feel I have to remind us all even if everybody acted responsibly, you still wouldn't be done with "this crap".

This pandemic will likely not be over until it subsides by itself. What we can put our hope into is the virus mutating into something significantly less dangerous, and better treatments of seriously ill patients, making covid a less lethal disease overall. (Regarding vaccines - they will never be more than a temporary stop-gap no matter how great they work if poor people can't afford them and right-wing people don't trust'em)
If everyone had acted responsibly, we might not be done with the pandemic, but the spread would have been much more limited. And a lot fewer people would have gotten sick, wound up with Long Covid, or died from Covid. More infections also creates more mutations, so less spread might have also prevented strains like Delta and Omicron from emerging, which means the current vaccines might have been better at knocking it down when it did emerge.

Maybe it's not realistic to expect people to behave responsibly, but that doesn't mean that behaving responsibly is a waste of time.

Horwath

Legend
We don't go out; my wife and I bring "out" to our door...we use GrubHub and Door Dash when we don't feel like cooking.

A lot of restaurants in our area have stopped using these services, in an effort to "bring more people in" by eliminating any other alternatives. I don't know if that tactic is working or not, but it hasn't convinced us to leave our house. Whenever we discover a restaurant is no longer offering delivery services, our instinct is to call a different restaurant or just cook something....not decide to go sit in a restaurant with dozens of coughing, unmasked strangers.
meanwhile in Zagreb...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If Danny does it, it must be pretty safe, right?

Mod Note:
This is the second time you need to be told that nobody has said anything of the kind.

I'm going to have to officially tell you to watch how much you are reading into what others write.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I do want to be clear, I don't want to give the workers a hard time for two reasons. The primary reason is because I'm not an %$#$#^#. But a secondary reason is because I know these workers have had a very difficult time over the last few years, and, since I'm not an %$#$#^#, I sure don't want to take out my frustrations on them. I appreciate all the people who worked in grocery stores and other businesses for making sure that I was able to live relatively well during a pandemic. I wish they were appreciated more and paid higher wages.
Amen!

I‘ve seen some stuff in groceries that makes me wonder how many people recognize store employees as free-willed human beings and not slaves or automatons. Especially at the deli counters.

Once, I was ordering some stuff when a woman marched over angrily from the self-checkout line. It seems she had been given TWO slices of ham instead of ONE. For this transgression, tpshe started yelling at the guy who packaged the meat.

Another woman made EVERYONE wait while the deli guy gave her precisely half a pound of whatever it was. Not more, not less. (And I don’t know what the rules are on how they handle excess sliced meats the customer doesn’t take.)

Me? I tell them as long as I have at least what I need, I can work with it. Sometimes, I’ve walked away with as much as twice as much sliced meat as I asked for, because something extra isn’t a problem for me.

Remove ads