Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I know not a lot of people wore masks before covid, but I did see them here and there... and I don't recall all the righteous indignation against those people back then.
This is getting insane, and nasty.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don’t wish evil on anyone, but the fact that Covid-19 is both dangerous but not OBVIOUSLY dangerous (as compared to diseases with much higher mortality rates) is proving to be a mixed blessing.

If it were moderately more lethal, the anti-mask/anti-vax bunch would either be much smaller and keeping a lower profile, or the issue would be self-correcting as the body count among their numbers would steadily rise.

As things are, only a fraction of those people acting out like that will directly or proximally experience a reality check, so the behavior is unlikely to disappear.

And that’s going to translate into a prolonged initial wave, a larger second wave, and more socioeconomic turmoil.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
If Covid-19 was visible, people would avoid it like the plague that it is. Hypothetical situation:

Say, if everyone who was infected with Covid-19 temporarily became a zombie a couple weeks after being infected, everyone would do all that they could to avoid catching the virus. They'd wear masks, hazmat suits, avoid going out into public, not host Coronavirus parties, get vaccines if possible, not go to work, and so on. Even if it had the same fatality rate, people would have a much harsher response if the problem was visible.

Just a strange thought I had.

MarkB

Legend
If Covid-19 was visible, people would avoid it like the plague that it is. Hypothetical situation:

Say, if everyone who was infected with Covid-19 temporarily became a zombie a couple weeks after being infected, everyone would do all that they could to avoid catching the virus. They'd wear masks, hazmat suits, avoid going out into public, not host Coronavirus parties, get vaccines if possible, not go to work, and so on. Even if it had the same fatality rate, people would have a much harsher response if the problem was visible.

Just a strange thought I had.
Yeah, but they'd also try to shoot them in the head.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well waited until things got quiet after the initial rush.

For a post Covid world it seems bars and restaurants are quiet. Social distancing rules apply.

Under level two most things are open but shop early or be prepared to line up. They're limiting how many can go into stores at once.

Went to our equivalent of Walmart to get some clothes. Managed to snag a haircut. Social distancing was decent, they've marked out places you can line up etc.

Tourist places are screaming out for support/domestic tourists. Realistically a lot of those Business are doomed.

Public sympathy isn't very high it seems. They've been over charging tourists for years and priced a lot of locals out.

Resort town of Queenstown is projecting 30-50% unemployment. One deal I saw was 7 nights, ski field pass, rental car and meal voucher for $90 USD a day.

1 new case last few days. 2-3 total last week and a half. None locally for something like 35 days.

Not much in the way of mask wearing. Hand sanitizer is back on supermarket shelves, masks can be found if you know where to look. They're kind of expensive.

Haven't had the collapse USA has but unemployment is rising. Long term forecasts are bad for the next couple of years or three but better than say USA.

We're also having to deal with 100k migrant workers. Their visas are expiring, don't qualify for welfare and a lot of the jobs they were in have evaporated.

Little bit of fallout. Prime minister is super popular and with collapsing polls the opposition rolled their leader swapping a conservative right winger for a right of center type with more liberal social views. Hard right/left doesn't work so well in NZ. He botched the Covid response pulling the openup at all costs mentality a few weeks ago which evaporated around 1/3rd of their support. Goneburger.

Jacindas numbers officially make her the most popular Prime Minister ever at least while they gave done polling.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
69% of americans wear masks in public. The people who don't seem to be closer together, packed in groups, probably spreading the disease.
How do you (generic you) know who has it and who does not?
After two months of isolation, the asymptomatic contagious carriers of March should have given it to their families and either kicked it or seen hospitals by now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases