D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
(shrugs)
Without digging further & then worrying about things I can't really control I couldn't tell you.
Supposedly here in Ohio we were/are doing quite well. I presume that this is due in part to 1) being one of the states that did a good job of shutting things down fairly early & fairly completely (we're no NZ, but vs the rest of the USA....), 2) spinning the data in whatever ways seems most advantageous. They have said that state-wise testing is not where they'd like it to be.

I do think that our re-opening plan was a bit soon , a bit haphazard, & with vague wordings.
For example: They opened things up before figuring out important details concerning things like day care. Strikes me that if you're going to send everyone back to work you should have a plan for what they're supposed to do with their kids 1st.....
And then there's the idiocy of getting a haircut. One week, early in the opening, hospitals were allowed to start preforming elective surgeries again. When the Governor was asked about things like Barbershops the reply was that they were still looking at how to do that safely. :/ Yes, you could go get cut open in a facility where your Covid odds are guaranteed to be dramatically higher - even if we really are doing better than others - for non-essential reasons. But you couldn't get a haircut.
Everyones like; The answers you wrap your barber in mask/gloves/gown/constant cleaning & hand washing/limit # of people in the shop at any given time, etc, wear a mask yourself, & touch as few surfaces as possible....
Several weeks later? Guess what the official answer was?

And here we are in early June & we have assorted groups starting to sue over the various re-opening details.

Yeah I've got a friend in Ohio. The governor was getting positive press not to long ago. Made the news here via the BBC.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The 7 day rolling average of new cases in Massachusetts looks like this:

1591664049962.png

(graph from public radio station WBUR)

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The 7 day rolling average of new cases in Massachusetts looks like this:

View attachment 122657
(graph from public radio station WBUR)

That is promising.

According to this site there are still 18 000 active cases which is a lot I think for the population.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
According to this site there are still 18 000 active cases which is a lot I think for the population.

The question is how they determine the number of "active" cases. The page you gave lists a dashboard I'm familiar with as the basis for its numbers, but that dashboard does not give "active cases" - that's not a number the state tracks, because it is not well-defined. So, your website is deriving that result, and I'd need to know how to comment.

As of two days ago, we had 1,415 cases in hospitals.

Massachusetts has a population of 6.9 million people.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I have a concern.

While the number of new cases each day in the US seems to be slightly going down (some days spiking back up), it is mostly pretty consistent. ~20k a day.
The number of deaths though seems to be dropping much more dramatically.

Does this mean we have a handle on it, and enough space in hospitals to adequately care for our serious cases? Or perhaps we are in for a rise in deaths as well, but haven't hit that time threshold. OR! Even darker are we running low on at-risk people. I don't think the last one, that is just obligatory hyperbole. I would expect we would have had much more death if that were the case.

I suppose I don't know for sure how to feel. Positive that we are finding our stride in this, or worry that things will take a downturn, or worse, that data is being deliberately manipulated to show that re-opening is the correct choice and is working.

Apologies, but I can be a bit of a negative Nancy about certain things.

NotAYakk

Legend
Isbor, deaths lag infections by about 2 weeks, give or take.

Right now, the "heavy hit" areas pulled off successful distancing (like NYC). Their numbers are falling. The "less heavy hit" are making up for it, and have relatively explosive growth; but because we are adding, BIG NUMBER shrinking plus SMALL NUMBER exploding = BIG NUMBER shrinking slowly.

In the hard hit areas, the most vulnerable and exposed got burnt. The remaining vulnerable are hiding, because they where selected for hiding. Meanwhile, less serious cases who hid from ERs are getting tested, reducing the rate at which their numbers have fallen.

The future problem lies in either reignition of a hard hit area (NYC is about 25% infected, so it can repeat what happened before if you reopen), or more likely that areas that haven't been hard hit and haven't eliminated the virus continue to have numbers explode.

With deaths lagging infections by 2-3 weeks, and diagnosis lagging infection by a week, deaths are a 3+ week trailing indicator of things getting bad. And you have to pay attention to regional deaths, not national; national deaths are dominated by the areas the virus has done a burn-through wave of. The next areas likely to burn are ticking up from 1 death per week, to 1 death per day, to 2 deaths per day. With no effective distancing, and a 3 week lag, if an area has a doubling time of 3 days, that is 7 doublings "baked in"; there could already be enough people infected to be killing 100+ per day even if lockdown was perfect today.

OTOH, if their modest social distancing spreads doubling to 5 days, that is only 4 doublings, or 16x "baked in". A large swing, and leaves time for policy to change if there is an explosion of cases starting.

NYC burned brightly because it had a crazy spread rate of 2x every 2 days or something. By the time they hit 1 death/day, there where 10 doublings "backed in" (21/2 = 10.5), or a 1000-fold increase in deaths.

Background caution and spread out population gives time for a response to an exploding local epidemic. And it doesn't have to be perfect for this to be useful -- even if your measures result in Re over 1, so long as an epidemic doesn't sleep its way to 1000s of dead per day, you can choke it off.

Now, what happens if Re floats just above 1? You get a constant simmer and burn of dead people, but no spikes.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have a concern.

While the number of new cases each day in the US seems to be slightly going down (some days spiking back up), it is mostly pretty consistent. ~20k a day.
The number of deaths though seems to be dropping much more dramatically.

Does this mean we have a handle on it, and enough space in hospitals to adequately care for our serious cases?

It can be hard to say - looking at the overall number in such a large country as the US can be misleading. An overall trend could be level, while it is rising in one place while dropping in another. Boston, for example, has a stead decline in its number of cases per day. Meanwhile, Texas and Florida are trending up.

As others have said - deaths lag behind detected cases. SO, those areas of rising cases are apt to see deaths also rise in the not-too-distant future.

I suppose I don't know for sure how to feel.

I'd be surprised if you were sure how to feel. It is a still-developing situation.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
There are definitely areas of the country where cases are falling, but there are also places where they're raising steadily. In my home county, we're still increasing by around 200 cases every day, and we've been on lockdown for more than 3 months now.

Remove ads