D&D and the rising pandemic

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
As of August 1st, we have travel restrictions for folks coming into Massachusetts.

If you don't come from a list of low-risk states (at the moment, New England, NY, NJ, and Hawaii) or don't fit a short list of exclusions you need to:

1) File a travel form
2) Either quarantine for 14 days, or submit the results of a negative Covid-19 test.

Fail to do so and you are subject to a fine of $500/day you are not compliant.

No word on the enforcement strategy they intend to use.
I can see where truck drivers and trucking companies are going to be hardest hit.
Followed by whoever is waiting on the cargo carried on those trucks.

Zardnaar

Legend
I can see where truck drivers and trucking companies are going to be hardest hit.
Followed by whoever is waiting on the cargo carried on those trucks.

Should be able to do freight contact free or close to it.

When we shut everything down truckies still kept going. Some rules just got suspended.

As of August 1st, we have travel restrictions for folks coming into Massachusetts., or submit the results of a negative Covid-19 test.
No word on the enforcement strategy they intend to use.

This sounds like it probably wouldn't hold up in court. Anything that puts controls on interstate trade is only supposed to happen at the federal level.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Most of them are likely covered by "workers providing critical infrastructure services" exception (if, for example, they are hauling groceries or other needed stuff), or the "transitory travel exemption" (if they are passing through the state to get somewhere else).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Or, to clarify Umbran’s response, there’s SCOTUS precedent upholding the broad powers of Governors to act in pandemics and even lesser health crises dating back over 100 years. Border closures and other travel restrictions, quarantines, masking orders, etc. are all within state government powers, assuming those states did not restrict themselves with their own constitutions or other legislation.

See Compagnie Francaise de Navigation a Vapeur v. Board of Health of State of Louisiana, Jacobson v. Massachusetts, Zemel v. Rusk and others, discussed here:

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
It still perplexes me (though, tbh, it doesn't surprise me) that, this many months into the pandemic, the US still doesn't have a top-level clearinghouse of travel information on states' restrictions, dates, form requirements, etc. It would be helpful if some federal agency was tracking and collating all this stuff as it is released, retracted, extended, expired-- perhaps something like the State Dept's travel advisory pages.
Bonus XP if this data is offered in an easy-to-use interactive or map format.

And if someone is aware of such a database, could you please point me to it?

Remove ads