D&D and the rising pandemic

Ryujin

Legend
Oh look! No baby deliveries, thanks to covidiots:
I still can't fathom how healthcare workers, of all people, can be antivaxxers. How do people like that even get hired to work in the medical field in the first place?
Prior to Covid I had a bit of a Facebook debate with someone claiming to be a "virologist", who pointed to an incident in Quebec in which a small town's population was involved in a measles outbreak (IIRC), when the population was reported to be 100% vaccinated. "SEE?! Vaccines don't work!", he said, clearly not understanding either the concept of "less that 100% effectiveness", nor "denying fuel to the fire." I have my doubts that he had any medical or scientific credentials, whatsoever.

niklinna

satisfied?
If you fire big chunks of your medical staff in the middle of a pandemic, the idiot is not the staff.
You may have missed that the article is about staff quitting, not being fired. I wish them luck in their new careers; clearly they've been working in the wrong one for them.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If big chunks of your medical staff doesn't care about spreading the pandemic or becoming patients themselves or passing on the message to others not to care... kind of feels like the staff might be in on the inanity too?
Are you sure the problem is "the staffers don't care"? Somebody interviewed the staff to find out what the problem is and got that answer? Or is this - yet again - applying a hasty generalization to other people without bothering to acquire knowledge?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
In the middle of a pandemic, medical staff who refuse vaccination* are idiots.
If they are proposing an alternative course of action to attain a desirable goal - such as "no patient exposed to COVID while in hospital" - then giving them an either-or choice which excludes their suggested option is still being dumb. The medical staff is trained professionals with experience around patients. We should treat them like it.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
If they are proposing an alternative course of action to attain a desirable goal - such as "no patient exposed to COVID while in hospital" - then giving them an either-or choice which excludes their suggested option is still being dumb. The medical staff is trained professionals with experience around patients. We should treat them like it.
But what of the the large majority of medical workers in the same facility who are vaccinated? Presumably they too are trained professionals with experience around patients.
Given that vaccination is the consensus recommendation of the medical establishment, it would seem that some of these staffers are decidedly more professional that others.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Are you sure the problem is "the staffers don't care"? Somebody interviewed the staff to find out what the problem is and got that answer? Or is this - yet again - applying a hasty generalization to other people without bothering to acquire knowledge?

Did I read correctly they were still allowing medical exemptions?

I would be kind of surprised if there were 30 folks there that belonged to the Church of Christ Scientist, or Dutch Reformed Church, or other religion that has a standing policy of being against vaccines. If they were, I would hope the hospital could find them a non-patient facing position in the meantime. If that's the reason then I apologize.

I'm guessing most of it is for reasons that I'd lump with the others I gave previously. "A recent American Nurses Association survey found nearly 12% of nurses do not plan to get vaccinated, with most citing concerns about safety or doubts that immunization is necessary. " I mean, I'm sure there are some who are against a lot of things in general (and not just COVID) from masks to prevent things to doing certain kinds of paperwork to certain treatments. Don't particularly care.

Haven't found a good survey separating the CNAs from the RNs from the Nurse Practitioners.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
But, that's not even feasible. "You can't treat anyone while there is a potential COVID patient in the hospital"? What's the point of being a nurse at that point?

There are basic requirements for all jobs. And, if I need a permit to go to a restaurant or take an airplane, then I sure as hell do not want to be treated by a nurse who hasn't had vaccinations.

Are nurses not required to have had their childhood immunizations? Would the hospitals employing them not have access to those records?

It's rather horrifying to think that there are nursing staff out there who have not been immunized for things like Polio and whatnot.

Remove ads