D&D General D&D Art across the editions

dave2008

Legend
I do like the red dragon for 5e, and of the giants, the one you chose looks good. Compare it to the other giants, and the others look terrible. They kinda look washed out. As for the full page spreads? None in the 5e appealed to me, though the prismatic spray against all the chuul I did like. The rest looked too "artsy" like something a snooty art school teacher would approve of. My tastes are different. I don't like the oil painting style 5e seems to have, which is funny as I am rather certain most are digitally painted, while the ones made before digital painting (2e and 1e) have a more clean and clearer look, and don't look like actual paint.
I can understanding have a stylistic preference (I also do not prefer the painterly style of a lot of 5e art, but nor do I like anime style of WAR and some other PF artists); however, I can't understand the desire to disparage another as "hot garbage" or "...like something a snooty art school teacher..." I just don't see how that is constructive.

Also, have taken art classes in college and at an art school I can attest that in my experience a good art teacher lets you foster your own style and doesn't have "snooty" preconceived notions about artistic expression. Of course I am sure there a bad teachers in all fields.

dave2008

Legend
Maybe not the warlock one, but the half orc for sure I find awful, like the halfling. ive probably hired dozens of freelancers for hundreds of pieces of art over the years, and if that was submitted to me, I’d assume it wasn’t finished and was just a rough draft. Look at the bard, for comparison shown upthread. So much cleaner and complete.
They just seem like different styles to me, but not unfinished. However, I it is not stylistic preference either.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Oh, I love DiTerlizzi's style, but I understand that his gothic style can be somewhat unnerving, perfect for a horror game!

His style isn't gothic. It's children's whimsy. Which makes perfect sense, since before doing the TSR job, he wrote and illustrated children's books. Kinda the opposite of horror books lol.

oreofox

Explorer
I can understanding have a stylistic preference (I also do not prefer the painterly style of a lot of 5e art, but nor do I like anime style of WAR and some other PF artists); however, I can't understand the desire to disparage another as "hot garbage" or "...like something a snooty art school teacher..." I just don't see how that is constructive.

Also, have taken art classes in college and at an art school I can attest that in my experience a good art teacher lets you foster your own style and doesn't have "snooty" preconceived notions about artistic expression. Of course I am sure there a bad teachers in all fields.

That's just how it is to my eyes. I hate looking at it, and don't find it visually pleasing. It's the same for a lot of "classical art" you learn about in art history. Not saying they are terrible, as they are really well done and they have more skill than I do when it comes to art. But I hate how it looks.

I agree that a good art teacher lets you foster your own style. There's also those with the snooty attitude that if you don't have still life paintings and nude model life drawings that are hyper realistic filling your portfolio, then you are a terrible person for wasting their precious time. Have any character art in there? Automatic disqualification. That's happened to a number of people I have known.

dave2008

Legend
That's just how it is to my eyes. I hate looking at it, and don't find it visually pleasing. It's the same for a lot of "classical art" you learn about in art history. Not saying they are terrible, as they are really well done and they have more skill than I do when it comes to art. But I hate how it looks.
Again I can understanding not liking it, but I can't understand the hate for RPG artwork that would drive you to call someone's perfectly good work "hot garbage." I don't understand your inability to separate your opinion and tastes and recognition of objectively skilled work. Once again I will note I don't like the style, but I can also recognize that is my preference and it is indeed good work.

Sorry to keep harping on this, feel free to have the last word, I don't wish to waste any more time on it.

Again I can understanding not liking it, but I can't understand the hate for RPG artwork that would drive you to call someone's perfectly good work "hot garbage." I don't understand your inability to separate your opinion and tastes and recognition of objectively skilled work. Once again I will note I don't like the style, but I can also recognize that is my preference and it is indeed good work.

Sorry to keep harping on this, feel free to have the last word, I don't wish to waste any more time on it.
But if they dislike it, doesn't that mean it's objectively bad?

Remove ads