D&D 5E D&D Beyond Confirms Monsters of the Multiverse's May Standalone Release

Monsters of the Multiverse comes out this month as part of a gift set along with Tasha's Cauldron of Everything and Xanathar's Guide to Everything. However, if you don't need those older books, D&D Beyond has confirmed that Monsters of the Multiverse will be available separately on May 17th. DDB's entry refers to the digital release, but these are typically timed to match the hardcovers. You...

Monsters of the Multiverse comes out this month as part of a gift set along with Tasha's Cauldron of Everything and Xanathar's Guide to Everything. However, if you don't need those older books, D&D Beyond has confirmed that Monsters of the Multiverse will be available separately on May 17th.

DDB's entry refers to the digital release, but these are typically timed to match the hardcovers. You can preorder the digital version from DDB now.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.33.37 PM.png

The book compiles monsters from Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and updates them to match WotC's current format; additionally it tweaks stats where needed to ensure monsters are worthy of their Challenge Rating, as some D&D monsters have been felt to be underpowered. In addition, it compiles over 30 races previously published in 5E D&D books, also updated to the current formats.

Update! WotC has confirmed the standalone hardcover release date is May 17th.

EEDBED9E-4259-4723-982F-DD467E948162.jpeg

I thought the first monster book (The Monster Manual) is not being reprinted (mostly). I was under the impression that Monsters of the Multiverse reprints monsters from the various adventures and Mordenkainen's; as well as the races from Volo's.
The first two extra monster books being redone to be more exact. The Monster Manual will be redone come 2024.

Aren't there enough monster books to be honest?
Why do we need more? What will this bring to the table?
For some people, including myself, there can never be enough monster books...
(Now, this doesn't apply here, as it's mostly reprints, so it will be mostly for new players/DMs who didn't get the previous books and will have a more convenient single monster book to buy)

Rogerd1

Adventurer
This is the first two monster books redone. Also more monsters is always good.
There are so many monster books atm, I think a mate of mine has 4-5 possibly more. Now if they were doing a Fantasy Age and do one set of stats for Celestials, another for Jinn and Demons. Then maybe one for high level outsiders it would do away with excessive number of stats.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is the first two monster books redone. Also more monsters is always good.
Well, it's not the Monster Manual redone. Luckily somebody else already did that!

What was the original lead time between the holiday release gift set and the standalone book?
We don't know. The gift set was supposed to be a holiday release but got pushed back to January. If I had to guess I think the standalone book was supposed to be due in April and got pushed back to May.

Remove ads

Remove ads